Dave Matthew's Band - Lillywhite Sessions
May 29, 2002 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nezer

Antibacterial soap... kills bacteria... bad karma?
This has to be my favorite DMB music ever.

The problem is the quality of what's available as this CD was never released (or even finished for that matter).

The copy I have is just awful. Low bitrate MP3, artifacted like mad and not consistant with the encoding.

The inconsistant encoding tells me that *someone* out there has a quality copy. This is what I'm after...

Any ideas where one can find a high-quality bootleg CD of material that was never released without playing the crapshoot that is P2P? Specifically DMB's Lillywhite Sessions...

May 29, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 8
I believe DMB is releasing a large part of the Lilywhite Sessions and a few other originals as Busted Stuff ......

May 29, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 8
Try to find an SHN copy of it. SHN is a lossless compression that's used a lot by live music traders on the 'net. One place to look for SHNs is etree.org. The good sites tell you what digitization path the file went through. Obviously, an SHN created from an MP3 would not be better than an MP3. You might also be able to find pointers on Usenet.

I downloaded an SHN version of it, and it sounds very good for an "unofficial" album.

May 30, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 8
The Lillywhite Sessions were released as 96kbit mp3s. There is no better copy. So everyone has the same quality. Some songs are better than others though...

Vij is right, most of the songs will be released on Busted Stuff on July 16.

1. Busted Stuff
2. Grey Street
3. Where Are You Going
4. You Never Know
5. Captain
6. Raven
7. Grace Is Gone
8. Kit Kat Jam
9. Digging a Ditch
10. Big Eyed Fish
11. Bartender

There's the tracklist. JTR is the one song I'm really gonna miss, but rumor is it'll be released on another album soon...
smily_headphones1.gif
The new Raven is even better than before. Grey Street sounds great, and You Never Know (one of the new songs) is already one of my favorites. This is just from some samples released, and the live show I saw this year... Anyway, you'll get most of your Lillywhite's on July 16
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2002 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 8
96k, ouch. I know I have one that is 128 and more importantly it *sounds* 128. This tells me that *someone* out there has a better copy.

I know about busted stuff but I liked the rawness of Lillywhite. If that thing had gone to mastering and pressing it would be the best DMB recording by far.

I fear that Busted Stuff just won't be able to capture the raw emotion that was Lillywhite. Time has changed the songs and they are no longer in the same context they once were.

Most of my favorites will be on Busted Stuff but, I listen to *albums* not songs and I really felt that Lillywhite took the listener on a trip. I just can't imagine Busted Stuff doing the same job.

May 30, 2002 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Flumpus
The Lillywhite Sessions were released as 96kbit mp3s. There is no better copy. So everyone has the same quality. Some songs are better than others though...

Hmmm, the version i have seems to sound fine with my 7506's. I wonder if some bad versions are floating around
confused.gif

May 30, 2002 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 8
I'm pretty sure that was the only format they were released in... Its possible that some people cleaned 'em up a bit. Don't get me wrong, my copy doesn't sound THAT bad, but you can tell its not finished. I can't wait for Busted Stuff, because I think DMB has the concept of the "album" and not just the song. Putting Bartender after Big Eyed Fish was a great idea, those songs just go together. Hopefully Big Eyed Fish can stand on its own though, 'cause its a great song by itself. Anyway... listen for Where Are You Going on the radio!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2002 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Flumpus
Anyway... listen for Where Are You Going on the radio!
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't listen to radio
mad.gif

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back