Dave Matthews Band- "busted stuff" any opinions?
Jul 18, 2002 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
I personally think its a great album, a hell of a lot better than that "everyday" nonsense they released. Current stand outs are "grey street" and "captain." Especially the jazzy take on "captain," really interesting compared to what it sounded like on the unreleased lillywhite sessions album. What do you guys think of it? or is it just me and Flumpus who are avid fans?
frown.gif

Jul 18, 2002 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 23
Hehe... I figured if I didn't start this thread you would
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree that BS is much better than Everyday. I ended up liking Everyday alot actually, but having a complete version of most of the LWS is really nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Quick run down of tracks...

Busted Stuff - They cleaned it up a bit from the LWS, and its really good. Nice opening track

Grey Street - AWESOME song, but depressing. This would be a great single, but GiG is going to be next, and I wouldn't be surprised if Busted Stuff was after that. Maybe four singles? Grey Street is one of the best songs on the CD, easily.

Where Are You Going - Good song, but starting to get overplayed what with the movie and all. Its fun to listen to, but read on and I'll tell ya what I'm gonna do when I burn my own version of Busted Stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

You Never Know - This song is awesome, musically complex, and the lyrics are beautiful. Probably wouldn't do well as a single just because of how musically complex it is... I mean when's the last time you heard 5/8 to 7/8 to 3/4 on a non-classical or jazz radio station :p

Captain! - Favorite song on LWS, and favorite song here
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm not sure I like the new jazzy version as much, but man this is a great song. Speaking of overplayed songs, I overplay this
smily_headphones1.gif

Raven - I think this song is most improved over its LWS counterpart... The lyrics are great, and the music is classic DMB.

Grace is Gone - They tried to make it a little more upbeat I think, but it doesn't really work as well as the raw emotional vibe you get from the LWS, but again, can't compare the two, I need to stop doing that
smily_headphones1.gif
Sad song though, I think I'm noticing a pattern...

Kit Kat Jam - Good song, kinda like an emotional intermission for me. No words in this version, but its still good as an instrumental song. Not as good as #34...

Diggin' A Ditch - They slowed it down since LWS and I really like it more. I'm not sure if it'll be played alot live, but when it is I bet it'll be pretty good.

Big Eyed Fish->Bartender - If I could count this as one song it'd be my favorite of the CD. The first time Dave wails "I'm on bended knees..." I get chills, every time I listen. They changed up BEF to have the fish verse first, which is kinda cool. I love the way Dave says "monkey tree"
smily_headphones1.gif
I wish the monkey was still tired and drunk though! Bartender is emotional, meaningful, and pretty much perfect. Its gonna be the next Two Step when played live I bet. The Bartender version on the DVD is spectacular, and the penny whistle is awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

That's all the songs on there, but here's what I'm gonna do... I'm gonna burn a CD with JTR as the first track, replace Where Are You Going with Sweet Up and Down (I LOVE this song, wish it was on here), and replace Captain and GiG with the LWS versions... Isn't that sad? Hehe...

As far as how this CD ranks in comparison with the other DMB CDs, its different. The mood is so sad, and really doesn't have a Tripping Billies type song to lighten up the mood. Before These Crowded Streets is still my favorite, by far, but depending on my mood I would probably put Busted Stuff right behind BTCS. Everyone go out and buy it!

Jul 18, 2002 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 23
Sounds like a winner! I'm on my way to but it thisafternoon at lunch.

Oh Yeah, did I mention I have [size=small]7th ROW[/size] tickets to see DMB on Sunday at Hershey Park

WOO HOO!7th ROW

Jul 18, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by 2 channel
Sounds like a winner! I'm on my way to but it thisafternoon at lunch.

Oh Yeah, did I mention I have [size=small]7th ROW[/size] tickets to see DMB on Sunday at Hershey Park

WOO HOO!7th ROW

you lucky person!

I hope your taping the show, lol. Are you a part of nancies by any chance?

Flumpus, what did you expect? The music thread seems to be a bit boring lately, c'mon guys, how about some threads on some new releases? I'm sick and tired of "the best classicial cd" thread...jeez!
eek.gif

Jul 18, 2002 at 5:17 PM Post #5 of 23
OK< Back from lunch, Busted Stuff spinning!

First Impressions after 4 tracks:

I like this side of Dave Matthews way better than Everyday! More reminiscent of Under the Table and Dreaming. Cant wait to get home and listen on a more substantial system (Current Office system is Tivoli Model II w/ Sub and CT570.)

Cheers,

Jul 18, 2002 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 23
I couldn't wait for this album to come out, and after I listened to it, I was very pleased. All of the songs are very well done, but it's hard to put this album at the top of the dmb list since all their albums minus everyday were superb.

Highlights include Grey Street and Bartender. (Listen to Bart on your headphones, and wait for when dave sings "redirect".) The DVD is great also, although I wish I had a surround system for the 5.1 Bartender.

Too bad GiG is their next single. Radio listeners won't get to hear the energy that lies in some of their other songs. It's a good song, but too melancholy and laid-back like WAYG to become a super hit. I agree, Flumpus, Grey Street would be a much better choice.

Man if they only added Sweet up and down. If they added this song in the middle of the tracks it would really kill the somber mood in the album
smily_headphones1.gif
I do miss JTR although I read somewhere that song will be used on santana's album.

Jul 18, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 23
Sweet Up and Down is such a great song... but I respect the band's wishes, since we weren't supposed to hear it in the first place. They only played it a handful of times (ok, like 10 or 15) in 2000, so maybe they just don't like it much. But man, replace WAYG with Sweet Up and Down, makes the CD 10x better for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Ya, I heard the thing about JTR and Santanna too... so I'm hopin' that's true.

Jul 18, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by mr man
Highlights include Grey Street and Bartender. (Listen to Bart on your headphones, and wait for when dave sings "redirect".)

It's at about 3:08 into BART...OMG, AWESOME!!!

Jul 18, 2002 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 23
I'm really digging "Captain," love the jazzy upbeat beats compared to the LWS

biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #10 of 23
i really like the CD. it makes me ashamed for saying that DMB has turned crap-pop after hearing everyday. Grey street is really great along with whatever #7 is called and kitkat jam.

Jul 21, 2002 at 2:14 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
mmm! I need this cd!

How does it sound?

Go download some mp3's, search for grey street, raven, captain and bartender, if you like those, go buy the cd.

Jul 23, 2002 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
Go download some mp3's..

now how is dave supposed to support his coke habit with fans throwing around suggestions like that?!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 23, 2002 at 12:24 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch

now how is dave supposed to support his coke habit with fans throwing around suggestions like that?!
very_evil_smiley.gif

no no no, you got it all wrong...its pot man, pot....sheesh!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 23, 2002 at 2:33 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by 2 channel

WOO HOO!7th ROW

The show was amazing! Here is the set list if you are interested. I wish I would have recorded it! My only complaint is they didn't play Bartender!
This was my first DMB show and I am hooked!
The Stone *
I Did It *
When The World Ends *
You Never Know *
Captain *
Kit Kat Jam *
Two Step *
Grace Is Gone *
Pig *
Digging a Ditch *
Lie In Our Graves *
Rhyme & Reason *
So Much To Say *
Too Much *
Pantala Naga Pampa *
Rapunzel *

Loving Wings *
Where Are You Going *
Grey Street *

The bad news is that my transmission died as we were pulling into the parking lot of the arena so i may have to sell some of my headphone stuff to cover the repair
frown.gif

I'm just glad it broke once we got there and not on the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back