Dave Matthews Band - Big Whiskey and the Groogrux King
Apr 14, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #16 of 28
I'm a huge fan of DMB, especially the live albums. But I do agree with everyone that in general the recent albums are not as good, especially the last one.

I'm also not a fan of the first single, but there is a YouTube video the band posted a few weeks ago of some fans getting to come into the studio and hear a sample of the new album. The song in that video, which I believe is supposed to be "Shake Me Like a Monkey," shows much more promise, I think.

YouTube - Dave Matthews Band - Inside The Studio for Big Whiskey

Apr 14, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #17 of 28
Heard "Funny the way it is". Not bad, nothing too adventurous, I noticed the lack of "jam" parts, there is a small guitar solo or some sort but its quite boring, nothing special. Its a more pop sounding single. I have mixed feelings about it. I would have to wait for the full album to get a better idea.

Also , it sounds a bit hot, not too much, details are still there, but pretty clean sounding even at 128kbps mp3. I expect the final release to atleast sound decent even though a bit hot in terms of mastering.

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #18 of 28
The drums really do rock out in this album
happy_face1.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #20 of 28
I was a huge fan of theirs for many years back from about 97 through 02 (shortly after Everyday came out instead of Lillywhite Sessions), and have hung in there enough to grab a show every few years and buy every studio album they release.

I have to say this new album is very good. Much better than anything since Before These Crowded Streets. It might even be better than that... only time will tell.

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #21 of 28
Shake Me like a Monkey is by far my favorite song on the album, now i cant wait to hear a live version. After seeing DMB at Fenway Park, all these songs get even better when played live.

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #23 of 28
Anyone heard the new one on vinyl yet? I've heard the CD is over compressed and shrill sounding in general. Is the vinyl mastering any better?

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #24 of 28
yes, the vinyl is MUCH better than the loud CD mix. def worth it.

Jul 23, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #25 of 28
Bah, they got $80 out of me to see them live at Alpine Valley. If Dave Matthews were to read this post I would have one question, "Can I have my money back?"

Not going to make that mistake again.

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bah, they got $80 out of me to see them live at Alpine Valley. If Dave Matthews were to read this post I would have one question, "Can I have my money back?"

Not going to make that mistake again.

how long have you been a fan of theirs?

and how exactly did the show disappoint??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back