Dave Matthews Band: better on senn or grado?
Feb 16, 2006 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

I3eyond

500+ Head-Fier
^^^^^^^

Feb 16, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 27
Grados love acoustic guitar. I haven't heard a Grado that does wrong by Dave Matthews yet!

Feb 16, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 27
But but, Sennheiser's absolutely love Stephan's bass! And and, oh yeah, they also love Dave's guitar more than Grado's.

Seriously though, the only way to find out for yourself is to try both kinds...

Feb 16, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 27
Not to rain in on everybody's parade, but i feel the akg's work very well with dave matthews. The akgs make the band sound like an actual band
icon10.gif

Feb 16, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 27
Here's a novel approach. Listen and decide.

Feb 16, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 27
i'll be able to start part of my own judging when my ms-1s come
biggrin.gif

on an earlier post on this forum i recall someone saying senns are better for the complexly layered albums of DMB, that without the senn soundstage you're losing a lot .. so IDK
eek.gif

seriously though, i haven't even received my ms-1s yet and i'm so curious about the difference between their sound and the senn sound that i can hardly wait to get myself a pair of senns
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 16, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 27
For popular music, DMB is fairly well recorded. A lot of their music has that acoustic sound which lets you pick out individual instruments, guitar picks, soundstage etc. Grados sound faster than Senns in some passages, and especially with RS-1s, some instruments sound really awesome.
The Sennheisers 650s depict the soundstage better (IMO) and preserve a great top to bottom balance with this sort of music, and it's very enjoyable with them too. My answer is to listen to them with both, or to say that DMB doesn't really favor one tremendously over the other!

Feb 16, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Make no mistake: they're all terrible.

There are no substitutes for Dave Matthew Live.

-Matt

dave matthews: live at luther college

is it worth $20? i think it's safe to say the albums i have have most all of the songs .. are they that much better on this album?

Feb 16, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #11 of 27
I3eyond said:

is it worth $20? i think it's safe to say the albums i have have most all of the songs .. are they that much better on this album?[/QUOTE
I like it better on that album. It depends on what your tastes are. Some people don't like live recordings.
Anyway, alot of the songs are totally different. They sound raw and stripped down. Obviously you are comparing a band vs. 2 guys on guitars.
Definitely worth the $$, Jimi Thing and Crash are AWESOME !

Feb 16, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #12 of 27
Jerome G said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by I3eyond

is it worth $20? i think it's safe to say the albums i have have most all of the songs .. are they that much better on this album?[/QUOTE
I like it better on that album. It depends on what your tastes are. Some people don't like live recordings.
Anyway, alot of the songs are totally different. They sound raw and stripped down. Obviously you are comparing a band vs. 2 guys on guitars.
Definitely worth the $$, Jimi Thing and Crash are AWESOME !

it's all acoustic??

Feb 16, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #14 of 27
Depends on what you're listening to. I personally enjoyed the HF-1 and RS-1 on live recordings but I thought their studio albums sounded better on the HD-580 HD-650. IMHO their studio albums have a lot going on and the larger soundstage of the Senns is a real benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back