Dave Brubeck recommendations?
Feb 11, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 19
There are a couple of Brubeck/Desmond DVDs out. Netflix 'em!

See ya
Steve

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 19
All the Things We Are is an interesting disc, with Lee Konitz and Anthony Braxton on alto sax (playing very straight here in comparison to, well, just about everything he's ever recorded).

Still, the highlight of the disc is probably the 20+ minute "Jimmy Van Heusen Medley" Brubeck takes with his trio, which features some hard-swinging stride piano (among other styles).

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 19
For a good experience with Brubeck himself (not his band), I would recommend Indian Summer. It just came out last Fall. Even at 80, the guy can still play. Very refined.

Also, if you are interested in Brubeck generally, check out the recent article in the January edition of Downbeat.

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrwinick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm listening to Live at Carnegie Hall right now. Wow. What fantastic music. This will be at the top of the rotation for a while. I'm clearly going to need more Brukeck.

Glad to hear you're enjoying "Carnegie". Paul Desmond's playing and the improvisation (versus the recording studio rehearsed vibe) makes that recording really shine imo.

If you want more Brubeck...don't forget "Jazz at the College of the Pacific". Warning: The recording is quite recessed and not the best quality. But..the playing is solid.

Plus...you might enjoy Paul Desmond as a leader:
"Take Ten"
"The Paul Desmond Quartet Live"

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #13 of 19
Thread bump!

I'm hoping the afficionados can help me out here. After recently watching the documentary 'In His Own Sweet Way,' I want to get a CD or two. I have Time Out/In and am tempted by Live at Carnegie. The box set 'Kind Of Brubeck,' looks good value. I'm sure it's just a collection of available CDs but does anyone have an insight into the quality of the recording and music? Is it a worthy buy?

The only review I've seen criticised it for having too many early recordings (? maybe meaning mono or unbalanced stereo) and for containing too many solos (i.e. no trio/quartet). I'm hoping for a better steer!

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
I have Time Out, Time Further Out, and Jazz at Oberlin. What else should I own?

You need Time Out in mono.

Aside from that one, I would highly recommend the following:

Dave Brubeck - Brubeck & Rushing
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Near-Myth With Bill Smith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back