DataPlay
Aug 29, 2002 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 8
i went to a friend's house and he had one sittong on his tv. i picked it up and played with it for a second; very cool. it's basically a minidisc, but the magneto-optical disk inside is about the size of a quarter! i was quite amazed and i can't wait for it to take off (hopefully).

Aug 29, 2002 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 8
Trust me... you do NOT want this to take off.

DataPlay was developed for the music industry, not consumers. It's an RIAA wet dream, with more copy protection and fidelity-damaging encoding than NetMD ever had. It's bad news
soapbox.gif

Aug 29, 2002 at 9:21 PM Post #4 of 8
any protection scheme they come up with will be broken in a matter of hours, so i'm looking forward to it. come on man.. minidiscs the size of quarters!

Aug 29, 2002 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
any protection scheme they come up with will be broken in a matter of hours, so i'm looking forward to it. come on man.. minidiscs the size of quarters!

The idea is very cool, but no uploading? And Digital Rights Management that's even more restrictive than NetMD?

I'm hoping more people swear off NetMD and DataPlay and buy real MD players so Sony and the rest get the hint that we want to be able to record when and where we want -- and I say that as someone very opposed to piracy, as you know
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 8
from amazon.com Quote:

But that statement's not entirely accurate. Your MP3s first need to be converted to the secure CK format (DataPlay's proprietary content storage format) before being sent to the player. Files in these formats can't be transferred off the DataPlay disks nor played with any other media players except the included iRiver FuturePlayer (Real and Windows Media Player don't offer any support for the new format yet). You can also buy commercial DataPlay disks--they're like tiny CDs--and play them in the iDP-100, but you won't be able to move any music files from these disks to your PC, either. It's one of the reasons that the recording industry is really pushing the DataPlay format, although time will tell how quickly the technology world embraces it.

macdef was right! thank goodness i was wearing my mint shoelaces! *rimshot*

Aug 29, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Features
11 hours MP3-quality music (at 192kbps encoding rate) or 5 hours CD-quality music or 162 uncompressed, 1.0 megapixel photos or 2+ hours MPEG4 video

Multi-session capabilities

Mix and match file types to fill 500MB

Two-sided, write-once media

Really small and easy to move around

Download, record, and play everything digital

Store content permanently—archival life of 100 years

Write once media? Well, I for one am not buying one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back