Database program for CD Collection?
Mar 2, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #16 of 32
The advantage of programs like Access and Filemaker Pro is that it's unlikely they'll ever disappear -- both are highly used office DB products.

As a summer data-pimp I had to input vendors' data into our company's FMP database (our company relabeled and made solutions out of other companies' chemicals). I couldn't find a way to import an Excel spreadsheet directly into an FMP database, though. It might be easier with Access since both are Microsoft Office products.

If you have your own DB, though, and you find it acceptable, why not just stick with it?

Mar 3, 2003 at 12:18 AM Post #17 of 32
I've been using Audiofile for the past few months.

It allows me to catalog CDs, MDs, Vinyl, DAT & Minidisc.

With it's CDDB linking I simply pop my disc in the rom drive and it automatically updates the list with all the information of whats on the disc.

Nice and easy.

BTW, I think there was a thread on tyhis before about 9 months ago?

Sound As Ever

Mar 3, 2003 at 12:28 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
Dude, where do you get all these clever happy faces and such??

Elrod-Tom.

Do you mean me?
invasion.gif

Peter.

Mar 3, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG

If you have your own DB, though, and you find it acceptable, why not just stick with it?

I thought it'd be nice to import song titles.

Mar 3, 2003 at 2:44 AM Post #20 of 32
I don't know. I'm old-school. I have like 750 CD's and I feel like if you really like your stuff, you might not be able to list them all off the top of your head, but you SHOUlD know whether you have something when you see it! Even if there are 2-3000 of them, if you only boy what you really like, it should be possible to not double-buy.

But why not just hold off on buying something if you think you *might* have it?

Something that helps me with buying though, is that I just keep a basic text list on my PDA of music CD's that, Iwant or I read good reviews of or that people recommend to me. Then if I'm in a record store I just look at it and that way often find good deals on stuff that I've been ooking for, especially when you're in a used record store, its great.

Mar 3, 2003 at 2:12 PM Post #21 of 32
I've been playing around with a freeware program called VisiTrax (up to 1000 tracks, then it's shareware). It's got a CDDB function, sorts by all the major categories, and has a useful notes field, and can import lists. Simple and useful.

Mar 3, 2003 at 3:06 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by skagen
I don't know. I'm old-school............Something that helps me with buying though, is that I just keep a basic text list on my PDA of music CD's that, Iwant or I read good reviews of or that people recommend to me. Then if I'm in a record store I just look at it and that way often find good deals on stuff that I've been ooking for, especially when you're in a used record store, its great.

I guess I am older school. I don't have a pda so I have a printed list to take to the store
biggrin.gif

Do all these programs cost money? I went to the sites listed here. Other than a shareware program, all I have seen is for purchase. Some of the programs listed I could not find.
I wouldn't know how to write one in excell, and I don't think I even have that in this machine. I like the CDDB look up feature. Most of my albums are listed in my MusicMatch jukebox program but I have not, not intend to, load all my cds in to my computer as mp3. So Musicmatch will never list all my cds.

Mar 3, 2003 at 6:29 PM Post #23 of 32
I just started using guzzlefish.com last week when it launched for profiling my DVDs, Laserdiscs, and CDs.

They still need to add some albums to the database and they will soon allow users to submit rare titles that are not in the DB.

I think it rocks for a brand new profiling site.

My collections: http://guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=sol_zhen

Mar 3, 2003 at 7:39 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
I just started using guzzlefish.com last week when it launched for profiling my DVDs, Laserdiscs, and CDs.

They still need to add some albums to the database and they will soon allow users to submit rare titles that are not in the DB.

I think it rocks for a brand new profiling site.

My collections: http://guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=sol_zhen

That Guzzlefish is pretty cool, but as you said many lesser known groups are not in data base, must be some way to manually enter info on these.

Quote:

I've been using Audiofile for the past few months.

It allows me to catalog CDs, MDs, Vinyl, DAT & Minidisc.

With it's CDDB linking I simply pop my disc in the rom drive and it automatically updates the list with all the information of whats on the disc.
Nice and easy.

Do all Cds have CDDB identity info on them or only certain ones?
Or is this info retrieved online after software identifies CD?That is really cool, insert CD and all info enetered into program list.

Maybe I do need some software after all..........
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 3, 2003 at 8:03 PM Post #25 of 32
"That Guzzlefish is pretty cool, but as you said many lesser known groups are not in data base, must be some way to manually enter info on these."

The site just launched. They're adding features daily.

It's a project I got word of because one of the founders posts in a DVD forum I frequent.

Dave, the founder, promises the ability to submit titles. It's coming soon. Check the site in a week or two.

I like the statistics and estimated value thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2003 at 8:09 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
That Guzzlefish is pretty cool, but as you said many lesser known groups are not in data base, must be some way to manually enter info on these.

Or is this info retrieved online after software identifies CD?That is really cool, insert CD and all info enetered into program list.

Maybe I do need some software after all..........
very_evil_smiley.gif

CDDB has info on a LOT of CDs, but it of course doesn't have EVERYTHING. Out of the 300 or so that I've thrown at it, it has only failed to recognize maybe 2 or 3 of them. And one of those 2 or 3 was a disc from Taiwan. Almost all my non-imports have a CDDB listing, and even from more obscure labels such as Audiodregs.

Mar 3, 2003 at 9:24 PM Post #27 of 32
I just posted my collection to Guzzlefish (not including most of the albums I've indefinitely borrowed from family members
wink.gif
). I obviously wasn't able to input Russian CDs or this one French jazz CD I have (Bojan Zulfikarpasic's Solobsession), but I was more surprised that I couldn't input the original CD-only version of the Stones' Hot Rocks: 1964-1971. I look forward to seeing the site expand and improve in the future...

Mar 4, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel

CDDB ia actually a site that you can go to. When your player program or in this case, the database program has CDDB enabled it will send information about the cd to CDDB. The information it uses is all time based, how long the cd is and I think how long each song is. CDDB then matches up that time info and sends back the title and track list and whatever else of the cd to your computer. It does some times offer you more than one choice, and sometimes the information is misspelled, or inaccurate. I get a few errors when EAC looks up some of that dark music on CDDB. They do have 99% of all music covered in there.

edit: that link I posted wasn't what I thought it was. It will take you to gracenote, they own cddb. I thought I had actually palyed around in cddb at one time. They do have a good section about CDDB. I did see a "search cddb" button in the gracenote site. I guess you could throw a song at and see if it meets your expectations.

Mar 4, 2003 at 5:19 AM Post #29 of 32
" I couldn't input the original CD-only version of the Stones' Hot Rocks: 1964-1971"

Did you try the UPC? Their search thing is a little stiff now. It will get better (if Dave and Brad do the changes they've promised). Also, as stated, they will allow user submissions to the DB soon.

Mar 4, 2003 at 6:34 AM Post #30 of 32
Yeah, first I tried searching by album title, then I tried inputting the UPC but the search engine couldn't find anything. I just put in the one that said "CD/SACD hybrid" or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back