Darts Thread 2
Aug 7, 2003 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

HD-5000

1000+ Head-Fier
How many of you Head-Fiers like darts? No, I mean real darts, the kind that have sharp pointy points. The kind that you throw at mean people. Ok ok, anyway, post all that you know about darts, your best games, and your equipment. I'll only post my equipment for now (for which I am justifiably proud).

Laser Darts Gold Widow 23 gram steel tip fixed point
DMI Bandit Dartboard.

Has anyone here gotten two Ton 80's in a row?

Aug 7, 2003 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 12
I used to throw darts a LOT while in the Navy. I bought an expensive set that are hammer heads. Man do those things work great for not bouncing off the wires. I will end up bringing my set down with me to Ecuador and setting up a board next trip.

OBTW, I hate those sissy darts with the rubber tips.
icon10.gif

Aug 7, 2003 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 12
Hey Doug, bouncing off wires are not a problem if you get the Bandit dartboard. Wires are as thin as paper. (I still regret purchasing the fixed point Gold Widows though.)

Aug 7, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by HD-5000
Hey Doug, bouncing off wires are not a problem if you get the Bandit dartboard. Wires are as thin as paper. (I still regret purchasing the fixed point Gold Widows though.)

How much does that board cost?

Aug 7, 2003 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 12
I like darts, but am a novice in the field. Only used whichever board and darts you can get at WalMart. Hey, at least they were real darts! So what would be a good set of darts and board for a beginner?

Aug 7, 2003 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 12
BANDIT bristleboard

Check out bigriverdarts.com, great selection. Also, try horizondarts.com, located in Kansas City. This is also the headquaters and factory for Laser Darts.

dhwilkin, at least you're not one of those soft-tip posers. Keep working at it.

Aug 7, 2003 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 12
Cool, thanks for the links. Took a brief look, and there doesn't seem to be too much difference in the boards. But there's alot of variety w/ the darts. Are there any good dart types for beginners? Like, what type of handle grip, type of point, weight? Any advice?

Aug 7, 2003 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 12
I'd say, if you're budget for darts is high, go for movable point Laser Black Widow. The high % of tungsten explains the small diameter of the barrel. This makes tight-grouping much easier.

Plus, movable point=less bounce outs (HammerHeads are great for this).

I went for the heavily knurled grip, because its easier to get a consistent grip with a regular pattern of raises.

As for the weight, you should try out to get a feel for em.

So...
Go for the Widows! Many professionals use them, and you'll feel good knowing that you bought the best.

Aug 7, 2003 at 11:40 PM Post #9 of 12
Ahh darts... I used to play a lot when I was in my old dorm room. I was able to rig my board up in one of the doors using a system of fishing wire and hooks. (My school absolutely flips if you drill into walls and all of the walls were made of concrete so I didn't have many choices.)

Problem was, my roommate got a little nervous about me practicing with hard-tips while he was out of the room. I guess he figured that some day he would open the door just while I was throwing and he would lose an eye. (He always was kind of a cry baby
wink.gif
) Anyway, I had to switch to soft-tips which really sucked.
frown.gif

Then last year I moved into a single room (
biggrin.gif
) and ran into the same problem with the walls. So I was forced to set up a mounting system where the board was mounted on another board that sort of leaned up against my window. (Believe me, I had a devil of a time getting the height right.) This worked well untill I accidentally left my window open during the night. A gust of wind came in and knocked the whole device to the ground, ripping the board out of its mounting. I took this as a sign that maybe I should wait until I get my own apartment before I start playing again. Ah well.

I miss it though.

Aug 8, 2003 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

HD-5000 said...

I'd say, if you're budget for darts is high, go for movable point Laser Black Widow. The high % of tungsten explains the small diameter of the barrel. This makes tight-grouping much easier.

eek.gif
Whoa, those are some expensive darts to start out w/! Not to mention, I hate spiders, so I wouldn't get that model for completely irrational reasons anyway.

So, I guess I'll look more in the $40-70 range. Suppose I can find something halfway decent there.

Aug 8, 2003 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 12
$40-70 is plenty for great set of darts. It all depends on the feel. For example, my dad plays better on a $20 set of brass darts than he does on my set.

Oh, and blip. Your roommate was right. Setting up a dartboard on a door is a big no-no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back