Darth Beyer, very amp-dependant ?
Jul 11, 2008 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Wiza_Gab

100+ Head-Fier
So I already got these Senn HD650 but I'm looking forward another pair of headphones and I know that the HD's are very amp-dependant so that they have a very big potential to get a better sound with better amp. But is that the same thing with the Darth Beyer aka DT770 or they can have a great sound with a very average amp like mine (HR's Total Bithead) ??

Because I'll probably buy a better amp sometimes but I'd like to know if the Darth Beyer ask for good amp as much as the HD650 ? (not saying the sound of my HD650 isn't good with my current setup tough)

And I'm looking for great amazing bass, so Darth Beyer is good eh ? Is there a better cable out there for these, like to get even more bass or an even more perfect sound ?

Thank you very much for all the help I'm getting at Head-fi !

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 13
No, they sounded like **** to me out of every amp.
biggrin.gif

If you want amazing bass, stick with HD650 and upgrade your amp.

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 13
Nah but I'm looking for powerful bass. Like I don't care if it's not that realistic, I wanna hear alot of bass in my head lol. Think I once read that Darthbeyer were like that. Or was is the Luke ones ?

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 13
So my questions :

1. Very amp-dependant (such as HD650) ?
2. Closed vs Open ? What will be the difference in sound ?

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #5 of 13
You'll hear the difference instantly as far as open v. closed goes.

I'm quite into 'urban'/electronic music and imo the Darths are the preference for these styles of music. Sounds much better than the senns, especially genres like dubstep where the bass is the focal point of listening. Not to say the bass is the only thing good about these cans, rest of the performance is great it's just that the bass is exceptional.

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 13
Darth Beyer is amp dependence because of its heavier bass, a poor match will make the bass too much. For a better independence, you can consider Beyer DT880, Denon D2000/5000. All these can be driven easily with most of amplifiers.

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 13
So maybe I'll just buy a Benchmark DAC1 for right now, then I'll look for the Darth Beyer^^

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 13
I have always preferred my Darths with a solid state (SS) amp. My tube amp tends to add bass to an already bass heavy creation. SS just helps keep it tighter it seems.

I find that my HD 650 to have plenty of deep bass...not as much but a bit tighter than my Darths.

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 13
Darth Beyer, very amp-dependant ?

As an ex-owner of a Darth, I'd say yes, they are very amp defendant. I tried them with quite a few amps. Some made then seem so~so. Some quite nice but I had a gut feeling they were able to do better. When paired with aggressive forward sounding amps, WOW, the Darths really came to life! So, yes, amps do change the Darths sound to a noticeable extent. Mostly in the bass and the mids. Highs were not affected that much, they always tended to sound darkish to me no matter what.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 13
Okay. Thanks for the answers.

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 13
From my experience with the DT770, it's not really worth pairing an expensive amp with these. They can use the power for the bass, but they've already got plenty enough to begin with. Whatever amp you get, you won't be getting any accuracy with these headphones to begin with...they're more for bass power and nothing else. Perfect if you're using em for electronica I suppose.

Jul 12, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #12 of 13
Seems a little bit pricy at $400 for an inacurate pair of headphones. I'm talking about the Darth Beyer.

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #13 of 13
If you're into dance/techno/electronica/progressive house music/blues/live music then the Darths will perform very well.

Chill out music like Buddha Bar and Cafe Del Mar is okayish with Darths.

If you're into stuff like Alison Krauss/Robert Plant/Diana Krall or metal, then no, the Darths will not do it.

I can't think of any other types of music right now, so I'll just ask:

What kinda music do you listen to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back