Darnit my Paypal got hacked! Need advice and hope that I can still get my money back...
Jun 18, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great idea, Blizzard came up with this also to protect battle.net/WoW accounts. They also released an iPhone/iTouch app that does the same thing. If Paypal would do the same it would be very cool.

paypal introduced this in early 2007, blizzard copied/borrowed their idea.
tongue.gif

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
paypal introduced this in early 2007, blizzard copied/borrowed their idea.
tongue.gif

Yeah, bad wording on my part, I didn't mean to say Blizzard invented the concept
smily_headphones1.gif
I blame the French in me...
tongue.gif

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by lastdodobird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What... now I can't access the PayPal site, it keeps on timing out!

Is it really down? Is this just a coincidence? Or is something really fishy starting to go on???

Site loads fine here at work.

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #22 of 45
I'm really sorry that happened, I hope it gets resolved quickly and you don't have to wait too long to recover the eight hundred bucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tip #1 - get a Paypal security key for your account - https://www.paypal.com/securitykey

It will prevent this type of thing from happening again and it's only $5.

Thanks for posting this, I was able to get it set up to sms my cell and it seems to be working great.

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

I really need to do a full scan ASAP...

Agreed - it's quite possible your Paypal login info was snagged by spyware on your computer.

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless the issue has been fixed, a few months ago Steve Gibson (he does security research and hardcore programming) found a way around the security key just by using the back/forward buttons in the browser.

I'm sure it will deter 99% of the lowlifes who do this though. Best of luck getting your money back.

Is there any truth in this matter? I thought getting a Paypal security key will prevent hacking into the account. Since I got the key, it is little hassle sometimes to log into account but it was reassuring that my account was secure, or so I thought.....

I know nothing is 100% safe but if this is true, I might just close my Paypal account. It is not worth it to me anymore if I have to worry about the security of my account. This sucks!

To OP, I hope you can your money back and that lowlife gets what he/she deserves.

Jun 19, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed - it's quite possible your Paypal login info was snagged by spyware on your computer.

Ah crap, I did a full system scan and starting to wonder why:

1) The realtime monitor didn't catch the two backdoor trojans and one spybot worm that were detected upon running the full scan
confused.gif

and

2) PayPal is still blocked! I can't even ping the site
frown.gif

payping.jpg

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

2) PayPal is still blocked! I can't even ping the site
frown.gif

I can access Paypal just fine, but if I try to ping the site, I get the same result as you...

Edit : Well, erm. I get ping timeouts... different result, sorry, wrote too fast
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #27 of 45
There are two types of computers in the world: one, the computers that have been hacked, and two, the computers that are yet to be hacked.
Socially, where are you in there?
You should have foreseen this. That's why I never buy stuff off the Web using some sort of an electronic payment method. Check/money order only.
Get past it. Get on with your life. Lord, I lost 100$ when I was 14. Et alors? I got on my bike and kept riding. Enjoy the wind out there.
" There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell. "
--SHAKESPEARE, William. Romeo and Juliet, Act V, Scene Im

Jun 19, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are two types of computers in the world: one, the computers that have been hacked, and two, the computers that are yet to be hacked.
Socially, where are you in there?
You should have foreseen this. That's why I never buy stuff off the Web using some sort of an electronic payment method. Check/money order only.
Get past it. Get on with your life. Lord, I lost 100$ when I was 14. Et alors? I got on my bike and kept riding. Enjoy the wind out there.

Can't see how this post is constructive at all; even as constructive criticism it's not so useful.

In my point of view, people who don't buy stuff on the web for fear for cybercrime are no better than people who avoid public places for fear of terrorist attacks: It totally goes against your succeeding statement of getting on with your life.

If fear is stopping you from doing something you would do otherwise, then that's not healthy.

And about that:

1) $800 is a hefty sum of money.
2) I can't NOT do anything about it.

To just let something like this slide and "get on with your life" is not a smart thing to do.

When I've exhausted all reasonable actions to resolve this without any positive result, that's the time I'm going to get on with my life and charge this to experience.

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #29 of 45
Anyway, I just filed a chargeback/dispute claim with my bank and they acknowledged it. However, they will have to complete an investigation and rule in my favor before totally reversing the transaction.

Still thinking of what I can do to resolve this faster and prevent it from happening in the future; but I'm inclined to think that for the most part, it's up to PayPal and my bank now.

Now to figure out why the heck the PayPal site is still not loading on my laptop when its loading everywhere else...

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #30 of 45
It's probably the malware that stole your password that's preventing you from connecting to paypal.
have you tried booting into safemode to run your antivirus and spyware scanners?

Here's the IP address of paypal as of this posting - 64.4.241.33

Users who are viewing this thread

Back