Darkvoice/Woo alternatives for hd650s
Sep 17, 2009 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dion2k

Head-Fier
I've been having some difficulty finding a Darkvoice 332/3322 without importing, so I'm looking for alternatives. I'm looking for something in the range of 400-500 used, with excellent synergy with the Sennheiser 650s. I've heard positive things about the WA3, and the Gilmore Lite as well--although I really prefer tubes.

Anything other recommendations out there?

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dion2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been having some difficulty finding a Darkvoice 332/3322 without importing, so I'm looking for alternatives. I'm looking for something in the range of 400-500 used, with excellent synergy with the Sennheiser 650s. I've heard positive things about the WA3, and the Gilmore Lite as well--although I really prefer tubes.

Anything other recommendations out there?

I picked up a Mapletree Ear+HD on Audiogon for $550 (including shipping to Canada). And WOW! This thing is awesome with my HD650s and phenomenal with my RS1s!

It has a high gain gain and low gain quarter inch headphone inputs. Really robust!

Sep 17, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 5
ooh interesting indeed, thanks for the info. I have a pair of grado sr225 and was thinking i'd have to sell them as most amps don't power high and low impedances.

How much better do those rs1 sound than the 650s, is it very noticeable or only a small margin?

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dion2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ooh interesting indeed, thanks for the info. I have a pair of grado sr225 and was thinking i'd have to sell them as most amps don't power high and low impedances.

How much better do those rs1 sound than the 650s, is it very noticeable or only a small margin?

I can`t really say that the RS1s are better, they are both awesome, but different. I love my Grado`s for Rock (which is the majority of my music collection...Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Black Sabbath and so on).

But the HD650s are nicely laid back and really kick butt with jazz, acoustic rock, and classical.

I was in your predicament where it was next to impossible to find an amp for both (high and low impedance cans), but this this does the trick for sure.

Here is a link to the Mapletree website for more information:
Welcome to Mapletree Audio Design

It`s made right here in Canada by Dr. Lloyd Peppard and several Head-fiers are strong believers!

There is also a wealth of reviews and comments on Head-fi if you perform a search.

Cheers,
Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back