Darkvoice VS. Singlepower
Feb 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 14
Skylab has both the DV337 and the Extreme - he should be able to provide insight. As I recall, he still prefers the Extreme, by a small margin. But... at half the price, the DV337 is the better value, relative to its comparative sound.

And... of course... you have to consider the "delivery / turn around" timeframes, and shipping costs. Apparently, Singlepower is extremely backlogged, and now requires months to deliver their products (from recent posts I've seen). Darkvoice typically delivers within a week, or two. But... it costs about $160 to ship their amps. So... you not only have that significant additional cost, but its a big factor to consider if you have to return the amp for repair/replacement, because the buyer bears the cost of return shipment.

Feb 29, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 14
On the contrary, I seem to remember it was the DV that got the drop on its rival
tongue.gif
In any case, he said they were very close, and at half the price (and some other benefits like dual mono, more room for DIY improvement) I think there can be little argument over which is the better choice. Unless you have some specific reason to choose, like tubes/adapters, shipment etc.
Anyhow, now let's give the man himself the final say. Skylab...

Feb 29, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab has both the DV337 and the Extreme - he should be able to provide insight. As I recall, he still prefers the Extreme, by a small margin. But... at half the price, the DV337 is the better value, relative to its comparative sound.

I believe this opinion has been revised.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have actually upgraded the driver tube AGAIN - I went ahead and sprung for a NOS Mullard ECC32. And I have to say, it was worth every single penny. This tube blows away every 6SN7-type I have ever heard, and by a wide margin. They are crazy-expensive, but my god does it sound good. Takes the SP Extreme to a whole new level.

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 14
If you're thinking Darkvoice then give Little Dot a look as well. The higher end stuff in LD's Mk series got pretty good (if not rave) reviews and tube rolling is easy and relatively inexpensive.

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazuki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind that a $200 tube.

The most highly regarded 6sn7s like the Tung Sol Round Plate, 6sn7W metal base are also $200 tubes

Mar 1, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 14
Best set of tubes I recall using on my MPX3 (of days gone by) are: 1x Mullard CV-181 and 2x Sylvania 6SN7W (nickel base). Too bad the MPX3 just didn't have enough juice to adequately drive the K701.

Mar 1, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best set of tubes I recall using on my MPX3 (of days gone by) are: 1x Mullard CV-181 and 2x Sylvania 6SN7W (nickel base). Too bad the MPX3 just didn't have enough juice to adequately drive the K701.

Did you ever get the chance to use the SP adaptors and 5687 (instead of the 6sn7s) tubes in it?

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you ever get the chance to use the SP adaptors and 5687 (instead of the 6sn7s) tubes in it?

Unfortunately, no. I ended up selling an $1800 modded MPX3 for $995!

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Unfortunately, no. I ended up selling an $1800 modded MPX3 for $995!

Thats to bad. I think it would have cured your problem with the 701s.

Mar 2, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Sadly you didn't get a chance to try out the 6BL7GTs as output tubes for your MPX3. The 6BL7GT really combined a sense of refinement from the 6SN7 plus the dynamic and slam of the 5687s in one. The 6BL7 as output tube is the best output tubes for the MPX3, Supra, and higher end SP amplifiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back