Darkvoice vs. Bada vs. Woo
Jun 23, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #151 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the ECC32/CV-181 with the Bada? This tube was by far my favorite driver on the MPX3! Best MPX3 combination, IMHE, was 1x Mullard CV-181 and 2x Sylvania 6SN7W metal base. (Why? oh why? did I sell those tubes!!!?)

In some circles, the GE 6SN7GTA/B is preferred to the RCA 5692. Have never heard the 5692, but do enjoy the RCA VT-231 and "smoke glass" 6SN7GT.

Tour, maybe I'll get a Sylvania 6SN7W for the Bada before the "big showdown" w/the DV337. : ) I, too, like the Sylvanias in general. 1x Sylvania 6SN7GTA and 2x Raytheon 6SN7GT is one of my favorite combinations on the PH-12 lately. Right now, my best tubes for the Bada are 1x Mullard ECC33 and 2x Russian 1578. : )

Sky, I just rolled those JAN Sylvania VT-116A in to the DV337--very nice! Better than the JAN Philips 6SJ7WGT and the Philco 7C7, IMHO (at least with the RCA 6AS7G, which was not one of my favorite power tubes in the DV336i). The D2000 sound really sweet with the 337 right now. Will try to post a more detailed response, especially addressing the 7C7, on the 337 tube-rolling threads. : )

PAB

I got 2 w's. Never gonna sell those babies. I love them, but i love the 3 jan philips wgta's right now too. All those tubes are excellent. You just need the right flavour for your system.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

I've got a russian 1578 comming in....will try it with the 2 w's.
biggrin.gif

Those russians are becomming more expensive every minute....

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #154 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a russian 1578 comming in....will try it with the 2 w's.
biggrin.gif

Those russians are becomming more expensive every minute....

Let us know what you think of the 1578! I just got one but haven't tried it yet...

Jun 24, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #155 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let us know what you think of the 1578! I just got one but haven't tried it yet...

I have a friend that has more of them and he's using 3 and he thinks these are the best you can get. dynamic, delicate and absolutely quit.

I am planning on getting at least 3, so i can try them out myself.

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #156 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi pataburd,

. . .

First thing i would mod!

Yeah, try the new ahp fuse out in the bada, make sure you turn it around and listen. The fuses are strangely enough directional. Meaning: one direction sound better then the other.

In general, most tube amps are slower then fets....and good bass is mostly a problem with tube amps as well.

. . .

biggrin.gif

Tour,
Just swapped in the ahp fuse. Thanks again! If the Mullard 6080 tubes I ordered last week don't arrive today, I'll switch out the Darkvoice for the Bada (break-down and set-up can be a pain with these two amps) and let you know how the PH-12 sounds with the new fuse. : )

The 337 generates excellent bass: tight, deep, controlled and hard-hitting. As I recall, the all-tube Kora Titan (monoblock) amps easily bettered the (highly touted) SS Plinius SA-100 Mk.II in the bass department, too.

PAB

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #157 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tour,
Just swapped in the ahp fuse. Thanks again! If the Mullard 6080 tubes I ordered last week don't arrive today, I'll switch out the Darkvoice for the Bada (break-down and set-up can be a pain with these two amps) and let you know how the PH-12 sounds with the new fuse. : )

The 337 generates excellent bass: tight, deep, controlled and hard-hitting. As I recall, the all-tube Kora Titan (monoblock) amps easily bettered the (highly touted) SS Plinius SA-100 Mk.II in the bass department, too.

PAB

In tube designs it all comes down to the design of the powersupply. People say, who have extended knowledge about those things, that the power supply/transformer is most important in a tube design. And i completely modded the power sections of the bada and it is sooo much better. Completely different beast. Hard hitting isn't the same as speed though. Some tube amps still tend to be slow, despite hard hitting bass. So, speed and detail...the layering of the bass...

Just make sure you try out both directions, believe it or not, those fuses ARE directional! Enjoy.

I know what you mean with SS sounding like tubes....

Apr 2, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #159 of 159
Get an RCA 6SN7GT for the front and a pair of Sylvania 6SN7GTBs for the rear, for an affordable and excellent combination for the Bada (and the K701). Art uses a 6SN7EH (Electro-Harmonix) gold pin and two Chinese Shuguangs (I believe) and swears by this combination, which would cost around $50.

Wait 6 hours between tube rolls, as previously recommended, and you needn't worry about blowing a mosfet (a solid state output device) on the Bada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back