Darkvoice Headphone Amplifier With low impedance headphones?
May 20, 2020 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

PrincessLeliana

500+ Head-Fier
Hello there everyone! Just wanted a bit of clarification, I googled this but the results were mixed, some calls for "NO never use it with headphones under 100 ohms!" and others saying "Oh yeah I use it with my 32ohm headphones and it's great". Well uh, which is it? I have 34ohm headphones, and I am very interested in the dark voice, Tube amps pretty :3

Just wanna know if I should go for it or not.

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't own that amp, but I'm going to guess that it would work with basically any headphone, as in plug them in and sound (or something) will come out. However there are other factors at play here that affect that sound coming out that might not be ideal for certain headphones, namely low impedance ones. Do some poking around over at the sound science forum and you might find more info. Look for threads regarding gain, output impedance, and electrical damping.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 5
Hello there everyone! Just wanted a bit of clarification, I googled this but the results were mixed, some calls for "NO never use it with headphones under 100 ohms!" and others saying "Oh yeah I use it with my 32ohm headphones and it's great". Well uh, which is it? I have 34ohm headphones, and I am very interested in the dark voice, Tube amps pretty :3

Just wanna know if I should go for it or not.
Generally, DV OTL is 78 ohms output impedance and then rises as you go lower from 300hz onwards.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ements-of-darkvoice-336se-headphone-amp.6549/

It's oddly non-linear output impedance response. 78+ ohms is a lot, and you don't want to drive any headphones that's less than 4+ times impedance of that. Sennheisers are generally ok due to 300 ohms. You just don't want the headphone to be close to the impedance of the amp. Greater the impedance of the headphone over the amp's output impedance, the better.

Most amps these days have near 0 output impedance, and this makes it more compatible with low impedance headphones and iems that are 16 or 32 ohms.

If you arn't using headphones that's 300 ohms or above, I wouldn't recommend it. It seems like it has weird power supply hum distortion as well. Get something with low impedance output.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 5
Get the DV and try it. You may notice something, but maybe not. Your best bet is to get HD 6xx from Drop for $220 and wait for the DV to show up on drop for $200. For a $420 total, you'll have a great tube set up.

Jun 14, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 5
The DV is pretty awful with low impedance dynamics like Grados (high output impedance from the DV). The story isn't much better with low impedance/low sensitivity planars like my HE-500 (not enough current). I only use my DV for my 300ohm Sennheisers: HD6XX and HD800S. I believe the DV pairs better with the HD6XX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back