Darkvoice Figaro or Meier Arietta
Jan 22, 2009 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gordolindsay

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm hoping a few members are able to give their opinions on each of these amps. I'm looking to put together a little computer setup and need a descent little desktop amp. I have Grado SR80's but I would like to be able to upgrade those someday and still not have to worry about the amp for a little while. If I were to upgrade it would probably be a pair of the Denon D2000/5000/7000 variety. So obviously it has to do good with low impedance headphones and scale fairly well.

I don't think many people here own the Figaro but if you do, do you like it? Any problems? Quiet (background)? Are tubes cheap to replace?

With the Arietta, I think it's pretty well liked from all that I've read. I heard a Meier Opera at a meet this last weekend and liked it alot , so hopefully they are voiced similar anyway.

So, if you could spend up to $250 for a desktop amp, which would you pick? Or would you go for something completely different?

Thanks a bunch!!

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 8
Little Dot MK III?

Jan 22, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 8
Agree with QQQ, the FIGARO is not for low impedance cans like GRADOs.
frown.gif
The LITTLE DOT may be a good choice as would a second hand X-CAN V3.

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 8
Okay, so ixnay on the Figaro.

Has anybody had a chance to listen to the Trends PA-10 hybrid headphone amp? It looks pretty cool anyway.

Jan 23, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #6 of 8
I disagree,I use the Figaro with my 63ohm Sony MDR V6's and I think this amp sounds excellent with these cans. Buy up some nice 6GV8/ECL85/6F5P tubes and go to town with rolling as these amps respond extreme well to tube rolling.

This amp packs a wonderful sound for its small size.

Jan 23, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

I disagree,I use the Figaro with my 63ohm Sony MDR V6's and I think this amp sounds excellent with these cans. Buy up some nice 6GV8/ECL85/6F5P tubes and go to town with rolling as these amps respond extreme well to tube rolling.

No disrespect but who cares what you, personally, like, when it's the fact that one can go a lot better than OTL tube amp and low-impedance cans. Moreso than that, he has no amp yet, why encouraging him to get not the best possible option?

Jan 23, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No disrespect but who cares what you, personally, like, when it's the fact that one can go a lot better than OTL tube amp and low-impedance cans. Moreso than that, he have no amp yet, why encouraging him to get not the best possible option?

I'm voicing my opinion about how I quite like how this combination sounds,if you have a problem with this then you really are quite sensitive. You're making it sound like I'm trying to sabotage his decision. Sheesh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back