Darkvoice 337 vs. Meier Opera vs. LunchboxII for W5000?
Sep 15, 2008 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DNT

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
So I decided to build a new rig surrounding the W5000s. I've previously owned Corda Aria and Little Dot MKIII and they both sounded great. It's time for an upgrade and I'm stuck between these amps. I prefer the tube sound but I'm very curious about the Opera. I understand that the Yamamoto HA-02 has great synergy with the W5000 but it is so rare to find. So I'm leaning toward the 337. But is the difference between the 337 and Lunchbox II worth it? If it is a minor difference between them then I'd go for the Lunchbox II so that I have some budget for a proper CDP. Please note that I'm using my laptop as a source right now and have an incoming Musiland MD10 as USB DAC. Any advice for the current situation or suggestion for another amp would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much guys/gals.
Have a great day.

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 6
Technically there's no problem. In reality, original LB was designed for high-impedance cans only. Then they decided to make LB compliant with low-impedance phones and added so-called "gain selector" which is nothing but a pair of dummy load resistors.

Sep 15, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #5 of 6
Sigh..

I have a LBII...actually I have 2 that I use as poor man's balanced amp with HD 580's. They sound great that way, but that's moot. When I use 1 single ended, with my markl modded D5000, and I don't honestly know if it's a 25 ohm or a 32 ohm phone, it still sounds great to my ears. All I can say is that they sound much better with low impedence phones than the LB 1 must have.

Bazile

Sep 15, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks guys.
Can someone shed some light on my situation.
frown.gif
I'm feel so sad ampless. ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back