DarkVoice 336SE with sub-100ohm cans
Jan 12, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #16 of 27
I added emphasis.

You can know pretty clearly how it will go, if you know the impedance curve of the headphone and the output impedance of the amplifier. As you approach ideal power transfer you will see "boosts" (so points with higher load impedance + higher source impedance will lead to "boosts" of the frequency response). And it isn't explicitly tied to "the bass" either - it is simply the inter-relationship of load impedance and source impedance. Many single-driver systems have a resonance in their mid-bass and that's why "it affects the bass" is such a common explanation. A lot of IEMs or multi-driver systems have much different looking impedance curves, and their FR will respond accordingly to higher source Z. Examples:
---
If the amplifier has atypical frequency response, is current/voltage limited, or is doing something else, that can also have an impact on the sound. So this isn't the only variable. But "high output impedance" does not equate to "unpredictable changes to bass response" - that's far too generalized of a statement.

Didn't know that bit, thanks. But again that assumes he'd have the data...or, well, just using an amp that won't require having to account for these interactions.

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #17 of 27
Didn't know that bit, thanks. But again that assumes he'd have the data...or, well, just using an amp that won't require having to account for these interactions.

A lot of more popular headphones are measured somewhere (e.g. InnerFidelity, He&Bi, GoldenEars, PersonalAudio.ru, etc) but yes it does require more knowledge of the headphone in question. My point was just that it isn't an unpredictable interaction, and that it cannot be generalized wrt nominal impedance vs source impedance. There is never "using an amp that won't require require having to account for these interactions" though - if the load is reactive it will ALWAYS be reactive, and therefore is always beholden to source impedance's impact on frequency response (and its hard to talk about this articulately - even the PersonalAudio.ru graphs muddle it by showing the "0 ohm" trace as "original" and that's not the whole story because there's ultimately not a singular "truth" here). If the load is more resistive it cares less and will be less influenced by source impedance overall. Perhaps a neater way to put this: "just using a headphone that won't require having to account for these interactions" but personally I'd veto that because there's some great sounding cans out there that happen to be reactive (like the Sennheisers, for example).

Jan 12, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #18 of 27
I do not have any fancy charts or what have you.

I got the DV336 for xmas, mostly for my beyerdynamic DT880's .. I have been listening to it with my Sony MDR-V6's all night and have used it w/ my ATH-M50's sounds great with both of these.

at first before my NOS tubes got some hours on them .. there was some hum when plugging the V6's in (couldn't hear it once music was playing but idle you could ).. however now that my GE 6AS7GA and RCA 6SN7GT have been used for some hours I no longer hear the hum w/ the V6's

you do have to be careful with the volume knob when using the lower impedance Sony's or audiotechnia's as things get loud pretty quickly.

the dv also looks KAF sitting on your desk also... (imho).

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #19 of 27
The darkvoice with my low impedance cans have more hum / floor noise whereas my 300 ohm Sennheiser cans are fairly silent.
Definitely not a good pairing with low impedance cans in my book.

I have not tried with low impedance low sensitivity cans like the Audeze or Hifiman with this amp so would like to hear opinions regarding those planar cans.

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #20 of 27
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.
At this point, I'm thinking OTL is not the way for me to go as I have no intention of buying high impedance cans in the near future.
The 1+ with the Mullards should suffice, as the only other cans on my radar are the X2's, 560's, and LCD series.

I'm still interested in more discussion, of course! :)

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #21 of 27
What about buying less pricy cans supplied with the correction files for each channel? Could it be a solution and money saver? I am uing now pretty cheap monitor earphones SuperLux HD681 with two fir-files for the plugin or convolver. Sound became much more rich due to such corrections, which a much better than EQ.

Sendt fra min T1-A21L med Tapatalk

Jan 3, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #22 of 27
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.
At this point, I'm thinking OTL is not the way for me to go as I have no intention of buying high impedance cans in the near future.
The 1+ with the Mullards should suffice, as the only other cans on my radar are the X2's, 560's, and LCD series.

I'm still interested in more discussion, of course! :)

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #23 of 27
Yeah, this is a pretty cool, informative thread. Too bad it looks like @obobskivich is no longer active on head-fi. His explanations here are more thorough and clearer than I've seen elsewhere... I still have some (probably stupid) questions, though.
I'd like it if any time you type "impedance" or "damping factor" on head-fi you're automatically redirected to this thread.

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #24 of 27
Funny how you just quoted me here on this old thread, as I just got back into this hobby and now am considering a Darkvoice as I have some higher ohm cans

Mar 15, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #25 of 27
Yeah, this is a pretty cool, informative thread. Too bad it looks like @obobskivich is no longer active on head-fi. His explanations here are more thorough and clearer than I've seen elsewhere... I still have some (probably stupid) questions, though.
I'd like it if any time you type "impedance" or "damping factor" on head-fi you're automatically redirected to this thread.

Go over to audiosciencereview as they have very good explanations for the more technical aspects of audio gear. Diyaudioheaven is also another good site.

Mar 15, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #26 of 27
Sep 30, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #27 of 27
Anyone have experience with the Darkvoice and Focal headphones? mainly the Clear and the Elegia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back