Darkvoice 336SE vs Head-Direct EF1
Jan 20, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 14
Jan 20, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 14
The bass is very refined on my EF1. It goes deep and gives sweet little punch to my K701s. Also, I don't think that EF1 is bass emphasized amp. It has a very balanced sound, very natural.

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 14
My basic feeling is for lower impedance headphones like Grados and Denons, the EF1 is the better choice. For higher impedance cans, I slightly prefer the DV336SE. The DT770/80 is kind of medium impedance - it should sound pretty good with both amps. I have only highly modded DT770/80's, but they sound good with both amps.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 14
I don't know anything about that particular tube. I have used RCA Clear-top, Sylvania and Tung-Sol 12AU7A's, and Mullard (UK made) CV4003's in the EF1, all with good results.

Jan 20, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 14
I purchased my EF1 based on many good reviews here, including Skylab's. I wanted an amp that was able to drive both low and high impedance cans, and EF1 reportedly excelled on both ends. So far, I'm loving it with my Denon AH-D2000. I'm debating between K701, HD650, or HD800 for my next can.

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know anything about that particular tube. I have used RCA Clear-top, Sylvania and Tung-Sol 12AU7A's, and Mullard (UK made) CV4003's in the EF1, all with good results.

which did you like best Skylab bass-wise and warm?
I'm in between the mullard and the rca clear top. Cannot make up my mind.
I could get both in the end...

edit: I just purchased the HEAD-DIRECT EF1. It was on sale for 299$ so I'm in a mood for buying some tubes. Every comment is appreciated.
..skylab, read your review like 4 times before clicking on "purchase"
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I purchased my EF1 based on many good reviews here, including Skylab's. I wanted an amp that was able to drive both low and high impedance cans, and EF1 reportedly excelled on both ends. So far, I'm loving it with my Denon AH-D2000. I'm debating between K701, HD650, or HD800 for my next can.

At a mini meet just two night ago. Four of us at the meet found the stock EF1 to be a tad polite/uninvolving with my K701s and I found that we preferred my Millet Hybrid Portable using the 701s (The MP to my great suprise was sweeter, more dynamic and produced a fuller bass on my K701 than it did on the stock EF1). The EF1 had a slightly larger soundstage though but only a touch.

We also tested the EF1 with a pair of HD650s we had on hand and found them to be a better match over my 701s (taming the coloured bass of the 650s). The EF1 has options for tube and opamp rolling so it may still be possible to make the 701s sing.

Source was a Diva audio modified CD63.

YMMV.

Jan 21, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #11 of 14
The Mullard CV4003 is a little warmer than the RCA. I slightly prefer the Mullard. You should get both though
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Mullard CV4003 is a little warmer than the RCA. I slightly prefer the Mullard. You should get both though
wink.gif

now I understand "we are sorry for your wallet"
Got a RCA Clear top with mu head-direct.
Ended up buying:
Mullard CV4003 maybe 1983??, Amperex Bugle Boy 1962, 2 x Mullard CV491 1961 1962.
audio gd OPA-Moon and OPA-Earth

At the moment I like the Bugle boy with the opa earth. Opa moon sounded muddy to me(maybe the headphones?). The Mullard cv491 is a VERY nice one though...
side thoughts.. maybe I should get a pair of ah-d5000.. ah decisions....

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 14
@gjergji
How tight do the Audio-gd HDAMs fit inside the EF1? Do they stand upright or do you need to use the extension lead?

Also what improvement is there when you use one of the HDAMs compared to regular opamps in the EF1? It would be great if you did a mini-comparison because this is the first time I've seen someone mention using Audio-gd HDAMs with the EF1, if there's been other mentions before then you don't have to do that and you can just direct me in the general direction.
tongue.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crikey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@gjergji
How tight do the Audio-gd HDAMs fit inside the EF1? Do they stand upright or do you need to use the extension lead?

Also what improvement is there when you use one of the HDAMs compared to regular opamps in the EF1? It would be great if you did a mini-comparison because this is the first time I've seen someone mention using Audio-gd HDAMs with the EF1, if there's been other mentions before then you don't have to do that and you can just direct me in the general direction.
tongue.gif

They do not fit.
Here is a picture.

Very ugly but functional.
Earth is very clean. Seems I've been missing a lot from the standard OP275. Sound is very detailed.
Moon I thought I would like, but is seemed muddy to me.
Both were tested with an Amperex Bugle Boy and a Mullard CV491

On a side note: Not sure if that screw will really function as ground for the OP-earth. Anyone know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back