Darkvoice 336i
Nov 7, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #61 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nick,
TAKE NOTE: You get 8 of these (6SN7) teflon rings for the price of 1 Herbies Hal-O 27. The guy will mix-and-match, too, so you can get 6SN7 and 6AS7 damping rings in a single shipment.

With Herbies, your looking at at least $15 for a single 6SN7 damper and about $25 for a single 6AS7 damper. IME, the Herbies 6AS7 Hal-O often loses its grip on the 6AS7 as well. : )

PatABurd

Yeah I see that now. I didn't fully read the auction. Just looked at pictures + price.

I apologize..

-Nick
rs1smile.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #62 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by nautikal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the main reason I'm not liking the new sound is the lack of crossfeed though. Any instrument that is only in one channel sounds like its coming from 50 feet behind me and it's driving me crazy
tongue.gif
. This also reduces the liveliness of the music, which I can now see is something I crave.

If you can find the Corda Cross-1--I think TTVJ still stocks a few of them for $189(?) each, it might help endear you to the (crossfed) Darkvoice 336i. It's a small, passive black box that will entail an extra set of ICs, though.

I used the Cross-1 w/the 336i for awhile and liked it a bit, but ultimately felt that it compressed the soundstage, both vertically and horizontally, too much for me. In addition, I didn't like an "extra thing" sitting between the source and the amp.

Lastly, headphone "purists" will argue that crossfeed semi-defeats the purpose for listening through headphones in the first place. : )

Nov 7, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #63 of 92
I just got a Cardas cable today and things sound more forward and lively now, so I'm starting to like this darkvoice better. I'm going to A/B between an Arietta, Gilmore lite, and the Darkvoice though... should be interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw Pataburd,

The larger rings you included with the tubes... did you use those for the RCA 6AS7G because I'm having trouble getting them on? I got them on the 6SN7GTB though.

Nov 7, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #64 of 92
Quote:

I just got a Cardas cable today and things sound more forward and lively now, so I'm starting to like this darkvoice better. I'm going to A/B between an Arietta, Gilmore lite, and the Darkvoice though... should be interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw Pataburd,

The larger rings you included with the tubes... did you use those for the RCA 6AS7G because I'm having trouble getting them on? I got them on the 6SN7GTB though.

Just curious, which Cardas cable did you get and what type? (IC, PC, etc.)

-Nick

Nov 7, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #65 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious, which Cardas cable did you get and what type? (IC, PC, etc.)

-Nick

It's a DIY cable made by J-Pak... it's the headphone cable. I have blue dragon ICs in between the Constantine and Darkvoice (they are silver cables).

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Hi,
I have a Cardas Sennheiser cable that is roughly 7 feet in length. It was a DIY cable made with Cardas wire (same Cardas 4x24 wire used in all Cardas headphone cables)

cardas.png

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #66 of 92
Okay more impressions. This amp is totally rockin' thanks to this cable! Everything moved forward and just sounds so much more alive. Then it's also a bit more detailed and cleaner in all aspects. Add that to the warmness of the Darkvoice and detail from the Constantine DAC and things are great
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #67 of 92
I am on the verge of upgrading my Senn 595 to the 600, for use with my DV 336i. The 595 sound great with it, but I want MORE!

Question is: Will the 600 give me THAT much more with the 336i than what I currently get from the 595? If not, what about the 650? I think I want to stick with Senn, so lets just talk about the two I mentioned.

I like clarity. I like bass and I like treble, but not so much the mids. I've already lowered the mid freqs somewhat with the little graphic EQ I picked up recently, so I could always tweak that a little more, if necessary, I suppose. Also, 95% of what I listen to have female vocals.

THANKS!

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #68 of 92
The 595s and 580/600/650s are a totally different type of headphone. If I were you I would just buy a HD580 or HD600 in the for sale section and try it out. That way if you don't like it your maximum loss is only $5-$15.

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #69 of 92
Quote:

The 595s and 580/600/650s are a totally different type of headphone.

That's why I'm asking. Are they 'totally different' in a good way or a bad way?

Whatever I get, if anything, will be for use solely with the DV336i. That is why I piggy-backed this thread instead of posting in the HP section.

I don't mind spending the money on new cans, just not sure if I'm better off keeping what I have or trying one of the two 'better' (higher priced) models in the HD product line.

Again, its all about the DV336i and what I may or may not gain by upgrading the Senns...

THANKS!

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #70 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo6Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why I'm asking. Are they 'totally different' in a good way or a bad way?

Whatever I get, if anything, will be for use solely with the DV336i. That is why I piggy-backed this thread instead of posting in the HP section.

I don't mind spending the money on new cans, just not sure if I'm better off keeping what I have or trying one of the two 'better' (higher priced) models in the HD product line.

Again, its all about the DV336i and what I may or may not gain by upgrading the Senns...

THANKS!

It's a totally different sound and it's a good way or a bad way depending on your preference. The only way to know is to try them out yourself. The HD600s might sound better with the Darkvoice since they scale better with amps, but that's just speculation.

Nov 8, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #72 of 92
Quote:

Btw Pataburd,

The larger rings go on the upper part of the 6AS7G glass. They won't fit on the lower part (w/out falling off). I usually stack the two on the upper part of the 6AS7G.

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #74 of 92
Send a PM to Fitz. I have read that he has modded this amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back