Darkvoice 336i
Nov 5, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #31 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFlaChris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm listening to it right now: Sweeeeet.

Been reading the 336i tube rolling thread. Slowly wading through the minutiae. Considering RCA 6SN7GTB black plates/RCA 6AS7G gray as a start.

Chris
rs1smile.gif

Good start. By far, the most recommend pair to get.
icon10.gif

Nov 5, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #32 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good start. By far, the most recommend pair to get.
icon10.gif

Thanks, Nick. I looked in the garage for the tube boxes to no avail. I suspect that the wife has them stored somewhere...
confused.gif

Starting to check eBay, now.

Chris
rs1smile.gif

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #33 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This made me LOL. If there were such a thing, really, we'd have no tube amps anymore. Trust me, you cannot judge the sound of a real tube amp by listening to some wannabe op-amp
biggrin.gif

Well, that's a relief.
redface.gif

Nov 5, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #34 of 92
Hey SkyLab (or anyone else, for that matter): Do you use/recommend tube dampers? If so, where is a good place to get them? There are several inexpensive ones on EvilBay, but I also found some higher quality ones via a Google search. I'm curious whether they can make an audible difference. THANKS!

Nov 5, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #35 of 92
Quote:

I'm listening to it right now: Sweeeeet.

Been reading the 336i tube rolling thread. Slowly wading through the minutiae. Considering RCA 6SN7GTB black plates/RCA 6AS7G gray as a start.

Chris
rs1smile.gif

i'm pretty sure I'm using the RCA's you mentioned and theyseem to give the amp a nice warm and detailed sound

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #36 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo6Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey SkyLab (or anyone else, for that matter): Do you use/recommend tube dampers? If so, where is a good place to get them? There are several inexpensive ones on EvilBay, but I also found some higher quality ones via a Google search. I'm curious whether they can make an audible difference. THANKS!

Herbies Audio. Best place IMO. Steve (owner) is a CLASS act guy, and highly recommend him.

You need these two:

Ultrasonic 40 or 45 for rear 6AS7 tube

Ultrasonic 25 or Halo 25 for front 6SN7 tube

http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #38 of 92
Quote:

Thanks Nick. Those from Herbie are exactly what I was considering. Do you use them? Whaddya think?

I don't use them, but I plan on using them in the future. I have ordered other things from Steve from his website and he's just a pleasure to deal with. I have heard mixed things, like all audio "tweaks". A majority use them and like them, however there's always a few that don't find them doing anything. He offers a 90-day guarantee, so you don't really have much to loose.

I just have other priorities right now..

If you order, and don't mind waiting, ask him to ship via USPS first-class. It will save you a few bucks in shipping.

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #39 of 92
I just got a Darkvoice 336i and Constatine DAC (previously using a Move) and while it sounds great in many regards (bass is succinct, smooth, and detailed), there's something I can't exactly put my finger on. I keep trying to pop my ears when I listen with the darkvoice because it sounds heavy?, and recordings that were intense with the Move now sound too laid back. Then the lack of crossfeed makes everything seem like it's coming from behind.

I think this amp is just too warm (makes it feel heavy and too relaxed?) for me, and the lack of crossfeed doesn't help. A lot of people mention how the Darkvoice is a great match for the 580s, but I'm not getting the same results
frown.gif
. By the way, I'm using 6SN7GTB and JAN-CRC RCA 6AS7G tubes and everything is used, so burn-in is not an issue. I'm also using Blue Dragon ICs (silver) and the stock 580 cable, although I have a cardas on order. I think maybe I should A/B between an Arietta? Or maybe the 580s aren't even a good match for me? I have no idea because I've never tried anything else. Confused...

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #40 of 92
If you want it to sound livelier and more up front, get a new-production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB and a 6080 for the power tube. You can easily get both at tubedepot.com

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #41 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want it to sound livelier and more up front, get a new-production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB and a 6080 for the power tube. You can easily get both at tubedepot.com

Okay, I will see if I can pick up these tubes, although tubedepot is out of the Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB. Did you specifically recommend the Tung-Sol brand for sound purposes, or for monetary/availability reasons (ie, would a different brand 6SN7GTB accomplish the same thing)?

But I'm also going to try the Arietta or Gilmore lite (w/ elpac) and do an A/B comparison. If it's not too much to ask, could you give me some color on how the Arietta compares to the Darkvoice? You don't have to go into detail... just a few words of your wisdom would be helpful.

I think the main reason I'm not liking the new sound is the lack of crossfeed though. Any instrument that is only in one channel sounds like its coming from 50 feet behind me and it's driving me crazy
tongue.gif
. This also reduces the liveliness of the music, which I can now see is something I crave.

Thanks again

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #42 of 92
The Arietta is a great little amp, but it's a SS amp. It has SS strengths and weaknesses. I will say though, that based on what you have posted, you might be happier with the Arietta than the DV 336i.

And yes, I recommended the re-issue Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB specifically for its sonic qualities. These Russian tubes have more tighter bass, and are a little less "tubey" sounding than NOS tubes. I think they lack a little of the midrange magic that NOS RCA 6SN7 has, though.

In any case, they should be easy to get on EBay, and since it's a new-production tube, not too risky to buy one there.

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #43 of 92
Dampeners are typically used in the isolation of microphonics. Are you hearing any sort of feedback, etc.?

Chris
rs1smile.gif

Quote:

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #44 of 92
Quote:

Dampeners are typically used in the isolation of microphonics. Are you hearing any sort of feedback, etc.?

Chris
rs1smile.gif

No, not so far and if did, I would replace it. Its just that some statements I have read regarding dampers has made me curious:

"The tube's sound is made more clear and precise, less fuzzy and less harsh. Tonal qualities are rendered more true and natural, subtle passages more distinguishable, from the deepest bass through the highest frequencies."

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #45 of 92
I guess the question begs to ask, then; Is the 336i "clean" enough to allow one to detect these discernible differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back