Darkvoice 336i vs 332
Nov 5, 2007 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Ted Goldie

New Head-Fier
I know that the 332 is a better amp but how much of a sonic difference is there between these amps? I am using Senn 650's and like to listen to almost anything. I think the 336i looks very sharp and probably should be the way to go. I was wondering is the 332 twice the amp? Is it a better idea to jump to the 332? Has anyone out there listened to both? What is the main difference?

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 25
I have never heard the 332, but the 336i is excellent, and has better tube-rolling options than the 332. That said, the 332 is supposed to be terrific with HD650's.

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 25
That there are more options, and that they are cheaper. There a a ZILLION 6SN7 options, and lots of 6AS7/6080 options, and these tubes can be had fairly cheap (although there are also expensive variants).

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 25
That's possible, I haven't looked into 332 tubes, but even if it is possible, we'd be talking about $4-5 versus $8-10 at worst, so neither is going to send you to the poorhouse
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's possible, I haven't looked into 332 tubes, but even if it is possible, we'd be talking about $4-5 versus $8-10 at worst, so neither is going to send you to the poorhouse
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess so, but for some people, having more options also makes tube rolling even more expensive.

more expensive tubes X a lot more options = tons more money
tongue.gif

Nov 5, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #8 of 25
Only if you insist on trying every make and model of tube
smily_headphones1.gif

AFAIK, one person on the 332 thread has heard/owned both and found the 332 to be appreciably better sounding to his ears. I dont know what tubes were used in the two amps though, so its not a conclusive comparison IMO.

As a question to the tube gurus; assuming there is a DarkVoice "house sound" to their amps, based on sharing some common design choices, could one get an idea of the amp's sound from the type/family of tube it uses?

Thanks

Nov 5, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cclragnarok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess so, but for some people, having more options also makes tube rolling even more expensive.

more expensive tubes X a lot more options = tons more money
tongue.gif

Interesting point, I suppose I kind of resemble that remark
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only if you insist on trying every make and model of tube
smily_headphones1.gif

AFAIK, one person on the 332 thread has heard/owned both and found the 332 to be appreciably better sounding to his ears. I dont know what tubes were used in the two amps though, so its not a conclusive comparison IMO.

As a question to the tube gurus; assuming there is a DarkVoice "house sound" to their amps, based on sharing some common design choices, could one get an idea of the amps sound from the type of tube it uses?

Thanks

I'm not sure the AMPS have a "house sound". Even with the 6AS7 power tubes, the 336 and 337 sound quite different (although they use different driver tubes). And a 336 will sound quite different with a 6080 than it does with a 6AS7. So I think that to some degree you can tell what any tube amp will sound like depending on the tube used, I do think that the DV amps themselves differ as well.

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for clearing that up Skylab.

I guess with amps like the various Darkvoice products that have so many tube rolling options, saying that even a particular model has a certain sound is futile, let alone a common sound across the different models.

Indeed, I also believe you can't speak of a house sound with tube amps.
However, you can speak of a house sound with tubes.

The great thing about tube amps is that you can change the sound to your liking.
I used a Raytheon Uniline GTB in conjuction with my Beresford DAC to have the fullest sound possible. I found a Sylvania too bright.
Now with my DAC2 it's the other way around. The Raytheon sounds veiled and the Sylvania lifts the veil completely. Brightness is near perfect for me now.
If I would have a solid state amp then I would have a problem, because at least one of the dacs would not be a good match.

Nov 7, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #12 of 25
I've had the chance to compare the two amps. They're really really close. There seems to be slightly more bass energy with the 337. The soundstage is also a bit wider.

Here's the thing though, both amps share the exact same topology. They're both driven by pentodes. The Russian 6S19P is just half a 6AS7, so again another similarity. However, there are many more tube rolling opportunities with the 337 than the 332.

That alone favors the 337.

Nov 7, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazuki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the chance to compare the two amps. They're really really close. There seems to be slightly more bass energy with the 337. The soundstage is also a bit wider.

Here's the thing though, both amps share the exact same topology. They're both driven by pentodes. The Russian 6S19P is just half a 6AS7, so again another similarity. However, there are many more tube rolling opportunities with the 337 than the 332.

I believe the initial comparison was between the 336i and the 332!

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazuki /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Whoa... the $750 DV337 "seems to have sllightly more bass energy... and... the soundstage is also a bit wider" - than the $300 DV336.

Are you actually saying these two amps "are really close" - despite the much greater technology and price of the DV337???

I'm beginning to think... trying the DV337... may well be a waste of time and money. Is that possible???

Or... are you comparing the DV332 to the DV337??? That I could understand... that the DV337 is "slightly better than the DV332 - but... it should be "way better than the DV336...

Nov 7, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa... the $750 DV337 "seems to have sllightly more bass energy... and... the soundstage is also a bit wider" - than the $300 DV336.

Are you actually saying these two amps "are really close" - despite the much greater technology and price of the DV337???

I'm beginning to think... trying the DV337... may well be a waste of time and money. Is that possible???

Or... are you comparing the DV332 to the DV337??? That I could understand... that the DV337 is "slightly better than the DV332 - but... it should be "way better than the DV336...

It seems to me that he's comparing the 337 to the 332 (and not the 336).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back