Darkvoice 336i to 332... is it worth it?
Apr 3, 2008 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

howlndog

Head-Fier
I have a Darkvoice 336i and am considering upgrading to a 332. Given my rig (see signature), am I going to readily notice the upgrade... or is it something I will have to listen very hard to (insert scrunched up face here), to appreciate the difference?

Apr 3, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 16
After reading all 121 pages of the DarkVoice 332 thread, I concluded that, YES, it is worth it. I ordered my DV332 yesterday.

Most people that switched from 336i to 332 said that 336i did not stand up to the 332. 332 had more dynamics, power, better bass response (e.g. goes lower), etc, etc. (note : I have not heard either, just telling you what I read)

Read through the first 20-30 pages of the "Darkvoice just released 332" thread and then you can decide for yourself.

Apr 3, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 16
I selected the DV332 for the same reasons - I'd read all the posts and concluded the DV "sweetspot" was the DV332.

I wasn't disappointed - it is everything the posts said it was - and the value is incomparable.

Apr 3, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 16
I have both (and KEEPING both!) and can assure you that you won't have to wait till the stock tubes are burnt in to notice the improvement. When you do manage to roll in some WE403Bs or Ericssons outboard of the Svets or Ulys, have something soft & cushy for your jaw to drop on, mmmkay?

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #5 of 16
I have a 336 (not 336i) and a 332. I bought the 332 because I had become disatisfied with the 336, as I found it wasn't resolving detail in the way I wanted, and didn't give an impression of being near to the musicians. Althought the sound is warm and nice, I felt that the warmth was veiling the detail. The DV332 gives the detail resolution that I was looking for and I think it is clearly better.

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #8 of 16
Well, I went ahead and bought the 332 from a fellow head-fier. As you have all said, the difference between the two amps is noticeable.... and because of it I am rediscovering my K701 which now have a level of refinement and weight I had not heard before. Thanks fellas for helping me spend more money
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by howlndog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I went ahead and bought the 332 from a fellow head-fier. As you have all said, the difference between the two amps is noticeable.... and because of it I am rediscovering my K701 which now have a level of refinement and weight I had not heard before. Thanks fellas for helping me spend more money
biggrin.gif

Thanks for reporting your findings. I have K701s and the DV336 simply doesn't deliver the amount of resolution and detail that they are capable of. I am very happy to have got my DV332 and I think it's got me to a level where I'm no longer dissatisfied with the sound quality.

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DennyL, I think you should try the DV337 next
biggrin.gif

I've never really thought about the DV337, as it's such an ugly beast with it's two volume controls, like two 336s bolted together. is it really a step up from the 332? I haven't read all the 337 thread here.

All this sets me wondering. There are the 'quality' amps in the $1000 - $2000 bracket, such as Singlepower and the Zana, and several well-spoken-of amps around $400, such as the DV332, the Bada, the Doge and the Cayin. I wonder how much better is the SQ of the expensive amps and to what extent one is paying for the name, personal service, etc. I have a GS-1 and I think at this stage that it's sound quality is at the same general level, although a little different, to the DV332, although the GS-1 costs twice as much. I haven't had many opportunities to hear the expensive amps, so don't have an opinion on this, and would be interested in what others have to say.

Apr 24, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #15 of 16
What is the physical size difference between the 332 and 336i and also why does one have 4 tubes and the only 2? sorry about the noob question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back