Darkvoice 336i for low spl?
Feb 27, 2008 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

esuko

100+ Head-Fier
Hello

Have not yeat tried any tube amp so was considering buying this much praised chinese amp. I usually listen with small volumes. I wanted to know does this amp go to dead silent when you turn the volume knob down and are there some chanel imbalance in the lower region?
Headphones that i use: AKG K340 and Audio-Technica A900.
Source: Stello DA100 (1.4V maximum output voltage)

Thank you for your time.

Feb 27, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #2 of 9
I cannot speak for the DV336, but I have the DV332, and it is dead silent, even when cranking it up. I listen to low to medium levels, preferably with the volume knob between 0830-0900 o'clock, and it works very well.

Feb 28, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot speak for the DV336, but I have the DV332, and it is dead silent, even when cranking it up. I listen to low to medium levels, preferably with the volume knob between 0830-0900 o'clock, and it works very well.

Thanks for the info. Can i also ask what kind of music do you usually listen?

Feb 28, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 9
I have a DV336 and it is absolutely dead silent. No hiss, hum, anything. The stock tubes that come with the unit sometimes hum. That will disappear over time. If that is not agreeable, then just roll some tubes through it until satisfied.

Chris

Feb 28, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 9
Second that of SoFlaChris, except mine sometimes has hiss/hum at cold start (the tubes are still cold). They are gone in less than 5 mins of listening.

As you can see my rig, I don't have a dedicated DAC yet, so from times to times I hear drives spinning and some electronic hiss from the iPod.

How do you like your DA100?

I'm still trying to decide between Stello DA100, HR Micro Ultra, Opera, or straight to DAC1 (one on sale at reasonable price now).

Feb 28, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Second that of SoFlaChris, except mine sometimes has hiss/hum at cold start (the tubes are still cold). They are gone in less than 5 mins of listening.

As you can see my rig, I don't have a dedicated DAC yet, so from times to times I hear drives spinning and some electronic hiss from the iPod.

How do you like your DA100?

I'm still trying to decide between Stello DA100, HR Micro Ultra, Opera, or straight to DAC1 (one on sale at reasonable price now).

I have been quite satisfied in my DA100. It delivers good bass and the highs are nice and smooth. Well it was actually quite big difference coming from integrated sound card
rolleyes.gif

Anyway it's not in the class of 3000$ cd-player that i auditioned at my friends place, but it made all my music sound garbage. So i guess that i don't even want that good source not at my present music taste.

Thank you and SoFlaChris for your help, much appreciated.

Feb 29, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by esuko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info. Can i also ask what kind of music do you usually listen?

Nowadays I listen a lot to Mark Knopfler, Neil Young among other well recorded albums. Norah Jones is also a pleasure to listen to with the Grados.

I prefer simple recordings which leaves some space for instruments to breath, and which are not crammed full of everything if you get me.

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nowadays I listen a lot to Mark Knopfler, Neil Young among other well recorded albums. Norah Jones is also a pleasure to listen to with the Grados.

I prefer simple recordings which leaves some space for instruments to breath, and which are not crammed full of everything if you get me.

Yes, totally. I'm quite happy to hear that Norah Jones sounds good on this amp. Hers music is quite calm down and relaxed. If the amp makes Jones music shine it can not be a boring performing amp?

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by esuko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, totally. I'm quite happy to hear that Norah Jones sounds good on this amp. Hers music is quite calm down and relaxed. If the amp makes Jones music shine it can not be a boring performing amp?

While I don't have any experiences with other amps, boring is definitely not the word I would use about this amp. I don't expect it to be as good, but has anyone compared this amp to others, like the Zana Deux or so? Would be a nice read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back