Darkvoice 336i as a preamp.
Oct 7, 2007 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jay.money

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone used the preamp outs on their Darkvoice? I'm considering doing just that and consolidating my speaker & headphone systems. Just looking for a little feeback before I start tearing things apart...

Oct 7, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 14
I haven't, but the 336i sounds great, I can't imagine this wouldn't sound good.It is a single-input preamp, though...

Oct 7, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 14
Are you using the stock tubes? If so I am not surprised. I don't think the stock tubes sound very good. There is a whole thread on tuberolling the 336i that you may have seen. Lots of great vintage tube options which sound much better.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used the 336i for a preamp with more-than-pleasing results: musical, clean, dimensional and dynamic.

Did you use preamp output or headphone output? I've used the preamp output and it's really thin. Headphone output was far better.

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 14
My Darkvoice is fed by the recording output of my hi-fi amplifier, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I can use my DarkVoice when my hi-fi amp is switched off, meaning that the recording output is just a passive feed-through. I had assumed that the output on the back of the DarkVoice would just be a passive feed-through, and was disappointed to find that there is no output there when the DV is switched off and I was wanting to use that output for another headphone amp, and didn't want to have the DV switched on just to use the other amp. Does anyone know what the gain of the DV is or what the respective output impedances are? I have a schematic of the DV, but it is not very legible.

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chat7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you use preamp output or headphone output? I've used the preamp output and it's really thin. Headphone output was far better.

Chat7,
Alas! It was via the headphone out! : )
PatABurd

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 14
Forgive me for jumping in here, but my quick question is hardly worth opening a new thread: Where is everyone actually buying their DV336i? ebay? elsewhere? where NOT to buy I suppose is an equally important question. Please advise and sorry for the hijack.

THANKS!

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chat7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This was my experience using the preamp output as well. It was lousy.

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #12 of 14
The performance of the preamp outputs of the DV336i is the single most disappointing aspect of the thing for me. The lower notes are totally absent, and otherwise not very good overall. This is obvious when switching between the DAC-1 as preamp vs connected to the DV336i as preamp. I just tried using the headphone out of the DV336i as preamp and that seems much better, but still not as good as the DAC-1 in variable preamp mode.

Oct 11, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo6Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgive me for jumping in here, but my quick question is hardly worth opening a new thread: Where is everyone actually buying their DV336i? ebay? elsewhere? where NOT to buy I suppose is an equally important question. Please advise and sorry for the hijack.

THANKS!

eBay (for about $300/shipped from Hong Kong) or, more rarely, the Head-Fi FS forum are your best bets--and perhaps your only bets--for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back