Darkvoice 336i and Denon D2000
Nov 29, 2007 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dropkickduffy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new tube amp, and the Darkvoice is looking really good. Do you think I'll run into any issues using a headphone with such a low impedance with the DV? Background hums get on my nerves, so I'm wondering if the DV will be silent in this regard? Does anyone have any experience with this combo? Thanks.

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 9
I have once pair it with 336i (RCA tubes), it does sound warm, and easily drive D2K. 336i perfect for listening classical music, where the high suddenly become sharper (non fatiguing), and the orchestra like surrounding you.

However, one point which made me to lost interested in 336i,
when I change the music into Fusion Jazz, somehow almost all track I found it distorted (even though in low volume), simply unbearable.

I guess the Tubes isn't suit for this kind of Jazz style.
Btw, no background hums or whatsoever, but I hear some noise when I turn the volume to max without any music playing.

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks Capunk!

I listen to a great deal of classical music, so that's great. However, I was hoping this system would be a good all-arounder. How do you think this combo would sound with hip-hop, alternative, traditional jazz, blues, and folk?

Also, do you think the distortion was due to the RCA tubes or the inherent design of the amp itself?

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 9
I have the 336i and love it. It does not, however, work very well with lower
impedance headphones unless the output capacitors have been increased to
about 220uf. I plan on doing this next. The amp works beautifully with my
HD650's or AKG K340's.

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 9
Dropkickduffy,

If you would like to hear the DV it can be arranged as I too
live in Bellingham. Send a pm if you are interested.

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 9
@Dropkick

When I still put interest in 336i, I was researching the tubes that I'm going to use when I bought 336i. Some Head-Fi user here mention RCA tubes, which I accidentally found on Ebay, then I ask them if this the correct RCA tubes that they were talking about. (RCA tubes Gray Label)

Apparently it's not, the tubes that I found on ebay has black .. err I don't know the name for it, something in between the tube glass & pin? anyway, the tubes is quite recent - and it's much inferior than the gray label that they were mention before, and has distorted sound in some occasion.

They were right, the tubes that I found on 336i is the tubes that I found in ebay, and they really distorted in couple types of music.

So I can safely conclude that the tubes it self which create the distortion, as many people here have 336i has no complaints (beside humm) or whatsoever.

Nov 29, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #7 of 9
Vaughn,

Man, I'd be totally down but I actually live in Seattle now (I just graduated from Western in '06). I thought I had Seattle in there, but this whole forum crash has altered things. My signature is even back to the old one.

Also, what phones do you use with your DV, Vaughn?

Nov 29, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 9
I use HD650's, AKG k340's, and AKG k240M. I find with my lower impedance
phones(EA RP-21, Grado SR-225, AKG K601) that my Eddie Current EC/SS works better. I am thinking of getting a better pair of closed phones and the
D2K is on my shortlist. If I do end up getting a pair in the near future I will let you know how it sounds with the DV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back