Darkvoice 336, iMod, or Grados? Where to spend...
Jan 29, 2008 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Bigjppop

100+ Head-Fier
So I've got 300 bucks burning a hole in my Paypal account and I'm wondering where I should spend it for the most bang for my buck.

I'm running a 5.5G iPod as my source into an X-can v3 to some AKG K-701s for my home rig. I'm using the same iPod into a RSA Hornet and some Shure e4s for my portable rig. In the mail right now I've got some Signal Cables to hook everything up, some NOS tubes for the X-can, and a new iMod dock from ALO (because I know someday I'll want the iMod). Ken at ALO says the dock works just fine with a stock iPod, but my current ALO dock won't work with the iMod.

Anyway, I'm considering the Darkvoice 336 (hopefully used from the forums here with a few different tubes to roll included), or the iMod, or some Grados (not sure which model yet). I listen to mostly acoustic music (guitar, piano, vocals) some jazz, some classical, some rock, some everything.

I'd love to hear some opinions on where to best unload the proceeds from my last sale.

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #2 of 13
Hmmm...in my opinion, the one thing that will make the most difference in your set-up is the headphones, what with Grados being described as on the other end of the spectrum vis-a-vis the AKG K-701 (upfront and forward vs laidback and airy). Since you listen to MOSTLy acoustic music, I think you will like what you hear with Grados....

However, if your are fine or in fact like the k701 signature sound, then I would go for the darkvoice next. These are awesome tube amps, well received here in the forums, and sure to work magic with your k701s.

As for the imod...well....i know some here subscribe to the theory "SOURCE FIRST", but if your songs are lossless or ripped at a decent bitrate, i think the darkvoice will make a bigger impact than the imod.

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 13
the imod should only be purchased to refine a system you are allready happy with. It is not going to make nearly as big a diff as headphones or amp. like reorx said, if you love the k701's, then get a better amp for it- although im not sure the 336 is such a huge upgrade from the xcan, so on that note, getting a different pair of headphones might be a bigger change if that's what you're looking for. and definitely go with different headphoens if the k701's dont do it for you, because while a different amp will improve/change them, they'll always be k701's.

But I have to disagree about the K701 being "laidback and airy". airy, yes, definitely, but I could never use the word laid back to describe them. i guess its a pretty loose term, but laid back implies weight and body, and the 701's are all about detail extraction.

why not try sennheisers? they'd be a great compliment to the 701's.
just my opinion

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #4 of 13
I like the 701's, but they have yet to really grab hold of me. They sound good, but I don't find myself looking for excuses to listen. I guess the best word to use would be un-involving (if that's even a word).

I'm excited to try my X-can with some new tubes to see if that changes anything about the way I feel.

So you think the best bang for the buck is new cans...

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 13
Check out the Little Dot MkIII amp, it's been reported that the amp sounds better than the HEED, so I presume it will be a meaningful upgrade to the xCAN that you're currently running. Besides, the tube rolling options with the MkIII are very good. You don't find too many MkIII's in the FS forums though, I guess people are keeping theirs.

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #6 of 13
You mention the Little Dot and I know they've got a pretty strong following here on Head-fi; is there much love for the Woo3 at this price point? It seems everything I've been reading lately is about the Little Dot and the Darkvoice; is that simply because its the latest or has the Woo3 fallen out of favor?

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #7 of 13
I would upgrade the source as it would benefit both your home and portable rig.

Also you seem pretty set on getting an iMod.

You could then sell your current ALO dock (you have two now right?), and use the cash for some used SR60. They would serve you well for your rock & pop music needs
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the DarkVoice and LittleDot amps, many are attracted to them for the amazing sound they give at that price point, i don't think it would be fair to compare them with the WA3 as both products are targeted at a different market.

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigjppop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mention the Little Dot and I know they've got a pretty strong following here on Head-fi; is there much love for the Woo3 at this price point? It seems everything I've been reading lately is about the Little Dot and the Darkvoice; is that simply because its the latest or has the Woo3 fallen out of favor?

I follow the Little Dot threads somewhat closely and someone who owns both the Woo 6 and Little Dot MkIII recently wrote a review that favors the MUCH less expensive MkIII. So, I guess it's fair to say the Mk-series is a major bang for your buck. It did mention in the review that the Woo weights a lot more, though, so if you're into paying for heavy brushed aluminum chasis, then... you know...
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 13
I like the Woo3, but the Darkvoice 336i is considerably cheaper, and equal in terms of performance, IMO.

I have never heard the XCans3, so hard for me to comment, but what might be best is to get some headphones as a companion to the K701. Get something different sounding, like Denon D2000, Beyer DT990, or some Ultrasones.

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I follow the Little Dot threads somewhat closely and someone who owns both the Woo 6 and Little Dot MkIII recently wrote a review that favors the MUCH less expensive MkIII. So, I guess it's fair to say the Mk-series is a major bang for your buck. It did mention in the review that the Woo weights a lot more, though, so if you're into paying for heavy brushed aluminum chasis, then... you know...
evil_smiley.gif

So can you tell me where the heck I can find one?!?!?
smily_headphones1.gif
I can't find them anywhere on the interwebs.

Jan 30, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #12 of 13
Jan 30, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
There goes another $200 thanks to Head-Fi.... Do you know how the MKII compares?

I do not own a MKII (yet!) but I really do believe the MKIII is the sweet spot for LD amps. Great sound, tube rolling options and quality looks all wrapped into one reasonably priced package. Can't go wrong!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back