Darkvoice 3322 for HD650s? Or is there something better available for $400?
Feb 27, 2009 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Jimrod

New Head-Fier
My first post here having been slowly researching this for a while.

One thing's for certain: the Senn's are on their way from J&R. Eventually my plan is to build a headphone rig around my laptop, but budgeting constraints mean i have to take it one step at a time (sort of), so next i need an amp to power the 'phones around the best source i have available (Philips 963SA).

I've settled on the DV3322. At $400 it seems like a great deal, but I'm telling myself to be cautiously optimistic so as not to be disappointed with damaged packaging or lacklustre build/sound quality. Someone please tell me if i should be looking elsewhere. I haven't ever listened to a dedicated headphone amp, so i'm basing my decision on all that i've read through these hallowed forum pages!

The final purchase will be a DAC for the laptop. I can pick up a Stello DA100 Signature for $1200 (CAD) locally, and it seems to tick all of the right boxes for me. If anyone thinks i can get better synergy between source>amp>cans, I'd appreciate the input.

Cheers!

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 24
Ditto... on the DV332 / 3322 - GREAT with Senns!

And... a HUGE value! Rivals much more expensive amps.

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 24
The 3322 is superb with the HD650s. And the build quality is simply first-rate.
icon10.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 24
I changed the 3322's input RCA with WBT 0244(bought in HK is roundly $40) and power socket with a furutech rhodium plating one(less than $20), it sounds good with HD650, K701 and k702! later may recable all the internal cable.

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 24
You can have the alternative, Little Dot MK IVse. The HD650 sings after 50 hours break-in.

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #8 of 24
make sure you get an aftermarket cable for the HD650. I'd recommend the Cardas, it'll really dig deep into the sound and offer you attack and decay that's missing from the stock cable. You can usually find one for 150.00 around here used. It's an obvious change even plugged directly into poor crappy sources.

Feb 28, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #9 of 24
I owned the 332 w/ rolled tubes AND THE hd650's didn't sound great, I had rolled tubes and it felt like you needed to have the amp at a high volume level to shine..
The 3322 (and what looks like a re-model of outward appearance) probably isn't any different...

I would instead recommend a solid state amp at this price. I think it will take you farther, control the bass etc. The darkvoice actually gave the hd650's a bass boost...

If you can find any tube/ss hybrid that is anything but the Little Dot 1+ (or how-about we just say above $175) that's much more worth a shot. In fact, they come up for sale often in the forums..

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the G&W amps with the 650?
I mean the hybrid T-2.6f and also the all tube T-2A...

Do a search on this forum... there are quite a few comments about that amp... about 2-3 years back.

As I recall... most didn't think it performed as well as others available at the time. Apparently not... because... I don't think there have been any (or very few) comments about it, since that time.

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned the 332 w/ rolled tubes AND THE hd650's didn't sound great, I had rolled tubes and it felt like you needed to have the amp at a high volume level to shine...

your setup seems to be unique. every thread I've seen reports positive feedback for the 650 and the darkvoice 332.

The best I've heard on my setup is the Svet 6S19 with Mullard CV850's. A bit microphonic, but once it plays, the musicality of that combo is GREAT!

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned the 332 w/ rolled tubes AND THE hd650's didn't sound great, I had rolled tubes and it felt like you needed to have the amp at a high volume level to shine..
The 3322 (and what looks like a re-model of outward appearance) probably isn't any different...

I would instead recommend a solid state amp at this price. I think it will take you farther, control the bass etc. The darkvoice actually gave the hd650's a bass boost...

If you can find any tube/ss hybrid that is anything but the Little Dot 1+ (or how-about we just say above $175) that's much more worth a shot. In fact, they come up for sale often in the forums..

Sounds like your source was not putting out enough voltage if you needed to crank the volume up to get any driver moving power out of it.

I had the opposite problem with my old 332. Too much volume way too early. Hard to combat the channel imbalance of the volume pot. Also when on amp smelt of heated spray paint!!

Apart from that, the 332 had awesome power and synergy with the hd650 cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back