Darkvoice 332 vs Meier Cantate
Oct 25, 2007 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dkpaul

100+ Head-Fier
There is a big Darkvoice hype ongoing.
Today I found it @ Ebay... $480 or so shipped which is not too bad.

I bought a Move and I like the sound. So, I had in mind the Opera for my next home set up. Now that everyone's excited about Darkvoice I wonder how it compares to a similarly priced Meier amp - Cantate.

My guts tell me that Skylab might have listened to both...

But for those who had a chance to appreciate both, can you tell me what the differences are?

I mainly listened to jazz and classical.

Oct 25, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 9
Just so you know... its not "hype" - its fact.

And... you can buy it for around $400 shipped... if you choose "make an offer" from Jasmine... or... simply email Jasmine and Casque with your offer.

Oct 25, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 9
If you are using a computer as source the Cantate is an excellent choice since it's dac is very good. It is a terrific amp and likely competitive with anything in it's price range as a stand alone amp as well.

I am very happy with mine. If you don't have a DAC it is hard to beat the Cantate.

I have ordered a darkvoice337 but that is quite a bit more and is competitive with the Opera.

Oct 26, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are using a computer as source the Cantate is an excellent choice since it's dac is very good.

That's not what I've heard. From the research I've done, you're usually better off getting a standalone ~$200-$300 DAC than a DAC/AMP combo. The sound quality is better as is the upgrade path. It will be more expensive though, especially when you factor in the RCA interconnects needed.

Oct 26, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nautikal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not what I've heard. From the research I've done, you're usually better off getting a standalone ~$200-$300 DAC than a DAC/AMP combo. The sound quality is better as is the upgrade path. It will be more expensive though, especially when you factor in the RCA interconnects needed.

I would disagree, and not based on what I have "heard" from "research", but based on what I have actually heard.

I have AB'd my Cantate dac with my Transporter (2,000.00) Dac and the difference is subtle, not night and day. I have also had here a Benchmark and a Lavry as well as the 6,000.00 Ayre universal player.

The Cantate does a good job against these stereophile class A rated DACs.

In this case I believe you are definitely not better off getting a 300.00 dac.

It would be a waste of money because the Cantate dac is as good as most mid priced dacs I have heard.

Of course, this is based on what I have actually heard, not just read about.

Oct 26, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would disagree, and not based on what I have "heard" from "research", but based on what I have actually heard.

I have AB'd my Cantate dac with my Transporter (2,000.00) Dac and the difference is subtle, not night and day. I have also had here a Benchmark and a Lavry as well as the 6,000.00 Ayre universal player.

The Cantate does a good job against these stereophile class A rated DACs.

In this case I believe you are definitely not better off getting a 300.00 dac.

It would be a waste of money because the Cantate dac is as good as most mid priced dacs I have heard.

Of course, this is based on what I have actually heard, not just read about.

Your results are very interesting. Sorry, I did not realize you have AB'd the Cantante with class A DACs.

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nautikal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your results are very interesting. Sorry, I did not realize you have AB'd the Cantante with class A DACs.

I was surprised by the rsults as well. I expected my Transporter, Lavry and the other dacs to trounce the Cantate, but, while better, the Cantate dac is no slouch.

I think both amp and dac technology have gotten so good that a modest amount of money (in audiophile terms) goes a long way.

The more expensive gear does do some things better. That's why I am getting a DV337 and , eventually, an Opera.

The Cantate hits a good sweetspot for me as an amp and dac. I think you have to spend a good deal more to get a litle bit better.

I have done that with the Transporter as streaming DAC and am doing so with the DV337. But the Cantate/701/computer as source combo gives a nice high end experience on a reasonable budget.

For myself. I would go so far as to say I wouldn't upgrade that combo until I could get a dac in the 1,000.00 range eg. PSAudio digilink3. Benchmark, Lavry and others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back