Darkest Desires Part V
Jun 30, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #2,581 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amorphis
Anyone have the new album "skyforger"?
I like previous album "silent waters" but samples from new work sound softer tone overall...........

I ...uh... haven't listened to it yet.

Someone turned me on to -- and I really enjoy -- Edge of Sanity, Crimson II. I was told I'd like other Edge of Sanity as well.

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #2,582 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ...uh... haven't listened to it yet.

Someone turned me on to -- and I really enjoy -- Edge of Sanity, Crimson II. I was told I'd like other Edge of Sanity as well.

Indeed........the catch is to get only the albums with Dan Swano in the group, best to start with:

-crimsom
-purgatory afterglow
-spectral sorrows

Jul 5, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #2,583 of 2,645
Gotta bump the thread that mainly keeps me here...

I have mainly given Elegeion's - The Last Moment attention, and I think it is one of the best laid back gothic metal albums ever. Tonight though, I am giving Through The Eyes Of Regret a spin, and I am really liking what I am hearing. I find this band to be successful in writing music in this genre where many others have failed: gothic music without the massive cheese factor. Bands like Theatre of Tragedy have great music but the lyrics and vocals are lame as hell. I cannot get past it.

EDIT: Just finished Through The Eyes Of Regret. I think it is an overall more consistent album. The Last Moment has a couple of weaker tracks, but Through The Eyes Of Regret does not. For Eternity is up there with Scars as their best song. Elegeion is truly a remarkable band, and I really wish they would release another album soon. Enverxis, do you have any news on them at all?

In other news: I have tried the new Isis, but it does nothing for me. I just do not connect with them at all. Mastodon's - The Last Baron is better than all of Wavering Radiant to me. I will now carefully put on my asbestos jacket and wait
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #2,584 of 2,645
Elegeion
I have both albums but have not listened in such a long time I had forgotten all about them........will have to copy those to my hard drive for my computer music library, I think they are from Australia (land of Oz)

I have so many Cds that I literally can re-discover music I haven't heard in many years and had actually forgotten about
redface.gif

RTN
I was just listening to new Wavering Radient yesterday again being duely impressed.......I don't remember if you like other Isis albums or just don't care for any of thier work?

I am surprised that it is has made no impression with you since you generally like progressive metal even more than I, almost everyone who is Isis fan thinks it is either thier best album or close to the best they have ever done. Also almost all Mastodon fans also like Isis so yes it is a bit strange that WR does not meet your approval

Listening to my Coroner albums this morning.......
(a blast from the past)

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #2,586 of 2,645
Quote:

RTN
I was just listening to new Wavering Radient yesterday again being duely impressed.......I don't remember if you like other Isis albums or just don't care for any of thier work?

I am surprised that it is has made no impression with you since you generally like progressive metal even more than I, almost everyone who is Isis fan thinks it is either thier best album or close to the best they have ever done. Also almost all Mastodon fans also like Isis so yes it is a bit strange that WR does not meet your approval

Yeah, I am not a fan of any of their releases. To me, they really seem to go nowhere (or at least anywhere that I find worthwhile). Isis is reminds me of Opeth's - Black Rose Immortal in that it goes a lot of places and has a a lot of ideas thrown in, but I am really engaged with BRI, whereas I shortly tune out pretty much any of Isis' songs. They make great background music, but I cannot make it through an album. Callisto is very simplistic like Isis, but Callisto has more melody and better song ideas. Obviously this is my opinion, but I can listen to Noir repeatedly, because of the great song structure, jazzy influences, and outstanding atmosphere.

One of the parts that bugs me about Isis is the mix and repetitiveness of the snare (?) drum. It is too high in the mix, and there are many songs where it has the same pacing where it sticks out too much.

To be fair, I am not a huge fan of most of the previous work from Mastodon (at least currently), and Crack The Skye has some duds as well. I mainly listen to that album for the last track, The Last Baron, because of the great flow and killer guitar work. The Ozzy'ish vocals are nice, but that track has so many great melodies such great vibe. I bet it will be a great live track.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #2,587 of 2,645
Has anyone heard of the Polish band, Riverside? I am sure that most have, and even though it is kind of out of the scope of this thread, I am loving every second of their music. It is basically all I have listened to for the past two days: every song they wrote. All of it is phenomenal! They are like Porcupine Tree + Anathema + Pink Floyd. They have great atmosphere and outstanding melody. I suggest everyone check them out if they have not already. Damn good band!!!

I was also in the mmod for second chances, and I listened to the first two Madder Mortem albums as well as Septic Flesh - Sumerian Daemons.

Madder Mortem is good. I like the vocals, very expressive. The music is a bit too nu-metal at times, and I do not see myself going on binges with the music, but it is good nonetheless.

Septic Flesh - Sumerian Daemons is wickedly energetic with TONS of atmosphere. They are kind of like a very extreme version of Rob Zombie with choir thrown in. My wife gave it the two eye-roll salute, so I think I will keep it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #2,588 of 2,645
There have been some great releases of late. Been listening to

Drudkh - Microcosm
235418.jpg

Their frosty, raw, folkish Black Metal is amazing.

Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars
223730.jpg

My opinion of BAN was still unformed but this seals it: they rock. This is epic BM.

Wolves in the Throne Room - Black Cascade
226080.jpg

Best BM coming from the US nowadays. Nature's haunting, relentless, drone BM.

Alongside with Deathspell Omega this bands are the best Black Metal, IMHO.

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #2,589 of 2,645
May have to try a band called 'Wolves in the Throne Room' just for the cool name!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #2,590 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by japc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There have been some great releases of late. Been listening to

Drudkh - Microcosm

Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars

Wolves in the Throne Room - Black Cascade

Best BM coming from the US nowadays. Nature's haunting, relentless, drone BM.

Alongside with Deathspell Omega this bands are the best Black Metal, IMHO.

Might as well never post again, as the albums/bands you listed form a perfect combination.

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #2,591 of 2,645
Quote:

51jpk33drPL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Amorphis
Anyone have the new album "skyforger"?
I like previous album "silent waters" but samples from new work sound softer tone overall...........

Tried it, and I did not like it all that much. I mean it is pretty melodic and is an easy listen, but it is not anything I would keep for repeat listens.

I have been listening to Out of Myself from Riverside almost nonstop for the last few weeks. If any of you have not heard that album, please give it a good listen. Some of the best guitar work of any album I have ever heard. Nothing complex, but my god, the emotion and feeling is divine.

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #2,592 of 2,645
Enjoying this right now. Perfect for Opeth fanboyz.

Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor (2004)

These are pretty much the only types of metal I can really dig. Others, especially Black Metal, not so much...

Alternative Metal
Atmospheric Sludge Metal
Brutal Death Metal
Death Doom Metal
Doom Metal
Drone Doom Metal
Folk Metal
Groove Metal
Heavy Metal
Melodic Death Metal
Metalcore
Progressive Death Metal
Sludge Metal
Speed Metal
Stoner Metal
Technical Death Metal
Thrash Metal
Traditional Doom Metal

(yeah I guess I'm not tr00 kvlt
tongue.gif
)

Aug 19, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #2,593 of 2,645
Quote:

Since I have been enjoying new Isis and Mastodon CDs I decided to add some more progressive dark metal........
I am a bit late on these but making up for lost ground:

515tMw%2B1NoL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
51QS4YQSP8L._SL160_AA115_.jpg
51tszMABU6L._SL160_AA115_.jpg
511A69P-OuL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

Gojira - Way of All Flesh, From Mars to Sirius, The Link
Disillusion - Times of Splendor

If you like Isis, Mastodon, Opeth, Cynic etc you have to like Gojira.......

Yes I made a good haul back in June which included Disillusion.....
Gojira I like even better, definitely check out all three of thier albums

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #2,595 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recommend me a Gojira to start off with! I like the new Isis (better than Panotpicon) and the new Mastodon (better than Blood Mountain).

Thanks!

I'd say "From Mars to Sirius" or "The Way of All Flesh" are both excellent places to start.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back