Darkest Desires Part V
Jun 12, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #2,566 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Scott
Check out some Gojira, I think Asmox has mentioned them a couple times in the past, they have a fresh progressive diverse sound while still keeping the metal edge to the music

I've been a metal fan for years and just recently discovered Gojira. Anyone who considers themselves a metal fan should check this band out.

Yes I've posted this exact sentiment in the past but I don't want anyone who has metal inclinations to miss out on this band.

From Mars To Sirius is my favorite so far and I'm trying to listen to The Way Of All Flesh more (great singles/videos esp. Vacuity). The Link as well as its DVD counterpart are definitely worth checking out as well. And if you like all of that you can find their first album for a little higher price on the net as it's in limited print "Terra Incognita".

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #2,567 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got back from Summer Slaughter... 10 straight hours of relentless death ****ing metal. Great show and a great lineup this year - Suffocation, Dying Fetus, Origin, Necrophagist, Beneath the Massacre, Decrepit Birth, and a bunch more.

This was only the second date in the US, I think. Many more over the next two months - catch it if you can.

I'm massively jealous. Summer Slaughter in Australia was Necrophagist, Dying Fetus, Aborted, and about 3 other small bands. It was all of 4 hrs long.

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #2,568 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since Kerrazy has dissappeared my exposure to new metal has decreased massively. What should I check out? Lately I've been digging:
  1. The Faceless
  2. Born of Osiris
  3. Mastodon
  4. Between the Burried and Me
  5. Protest the Hero

I'm excited about the new Killswitch Engage, Born of Osiris and Darkest Hour albums but I need some new tunes in the mean time.

Thanks in advance for the info and criticisms of my musical taste.

Well, for the Faceless: (who are opening for) Cynic, Mastodon: Isis and pelican?...hmm...

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #2,569 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permagrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been a metal fan for years and just recently discovered Gojira. Anyone who considers themselves a metal fan should check this band out.

Yes I've posted this exact sentiment in the past but I don't want anyone who has metal inclinations to miss out on this band.

From Mars To Sirius is my favorite so far and I'm trying to listen to The Way Of All Flesh more (great singles/videos esp. Vacuity). The Link as well as its DVD counterpart are definitely worth checking out as well. And if you like all of that you can find their first album for a little higher price on the net as it's in limited print "Terra Incognita".

Gojira have quickly become one of my favorite bands. So much so that when I missed their concert here in Salt Lake due to being out of town for work I flew to LA and saw them twice. Man what a weekend.

This is not directed at anyone in this thread but something I've had on my mind lately. I hear lots of people complaining that WOAF is not as good as FMTS, which it not entirely untrue since FMTS is one of my all time favorite albums. While I really enjoyed WOAF I partially agreed with many of the sentiments expressed. However, after having listened to WOAF about a dozen times it really opened up and I hear it for how truly amazing it is. (This is the same progression I had with FMST and most of my other absolute favorite albums which have really stood the test of time and still get regular play in my collection.) So in closing, to past present and future Gojira fans, please give WOAF a really good chance before you dismiss it.

Jun 16, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #2,570 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anybody knows other doom bands with a similar approach, lemme know!

I don't necessarily know if it's a similar approach, but I like Swallow the Sun, Hope.

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #2,571 of 2,645
Hey all,

Just throwing this band out there for all who are interested and may not know of them.
The Project Hate are a swedish band who play a hybrid of dm and other sub genres. Just a heads up, the songs are long in length (8-10 mins), dual vocals (male growl and female clean). I've been listening to this band mature over the past 9 years or so. They have a new album coming out soon "The Lustrate Process". Very good stuff for those with an open mind. Brutal and majestic at the same time. They have a free dl of a new song on their website, theprojecthate.net

Ah also forgot to mention Jorgen Sandstrom, formerly of Grave handles the vocal duties. He is a Beast!!!!!

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #2,572 of 2,645
61jLpTA57lL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51jpk33drPL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Amon Amarth
Classic debut album released as special 2 CD version: original album with 1 bonus track + 2008 live remake of album.
Deluxe package 4 panel double digipak, have placed my order......... \m/

Amorphis
Anyone have the new album "skyforger"?
I like previous album "silent waters" but samples from new work sound softer tone overall...........

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #2,573 of 2,645
I saw Amon Amarth's The Avenger as a double CD package - are they re-issuing their older stuff? Is The Avenger any good? I quite like Versus The World and Fate of Norns but am not sure I need more of the same.

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #2,574 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw Amon Amarth's The Avenger as a double CD package - are they re-issuing their older stuff? Is The Avenger any good? I quite like Versus The World and Fate of Norns but am not sure I need more of the same.

You are right, 2nd album "Avenger" also gets new 2 CD version with 2nd disc a 2008 live version........only first two albums get 2009 release as 2 CD versions.

I have all albums and like them all, there is really not a great deal of evolution in sound over the years so expect any big changes, if you like one you should like them all.

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #2,575 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are right, 2nd album "Avenger" also gets new 2 CD version with 2nd disc a 2008 live version........only first two albums get 2009 release as 2 CD versions.

I have all albums and like them all, there is really not a great deal of evolution in sound over the years so don't expect any big changes, if you like one you should like them all.

Instead of getting 2CD version of Amon Amarth Avenger for less money I got this for $7 used at Amazon:

5108spDYuDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

3 DVD set in nice 5 panel digipak long box

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #2,576 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really do not have a definitive opinion of this album. There is great energy and music in it, but I get WAY too much of a System of a Down vibe from the vocals and pacing sometimes.

Still digging the new Mastodon...

I really enjoyed Back to Times of Splendor. The vocals did in ways remind of SoaD, but the music is too thrashy to compare, in my opinion.

Anyway, been digging some Diablo Swing Orchestra lately. Yeah, only kinda metal, but hey, it's so much fun to listen to.

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #2,577 of 2,645
Made a trip to a record store I don't normally frequent and found both Neurosis' Through Silver in Blood and Venom's Black Metal (the extended version with bonus cuts). I've been searching for the Venom disc for some time and liked the tracks on my first spin of the CD.

I can also see why you have recommended Neurosis after I remarked that I enjoyed the recent Isis album. Thanks for the recommendations!

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #2,578 of 2,645
Picked up the most recent Gojira, and been listening, and liking quite a bit. Thanks DA!

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #2,579 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Made a trip to a record store I don't normally frequent and found both Neurosis' Through Silver in Blood and Venom's Black Metal (the extended version with bonus cuts). I've been searching for the Venom disc for some time and liked the tracks on my first spin of the CD.

I can also see why you have recommended Neurosis after I remarked that I enjoyed the recent Isis album. Thanks for the recommendations!

Great buy, 2 good Cds.........
if you like Black Metal be sure and pick up Venom debut "welcome to hell" very influential album for early groups like Metallica, Slayer etc

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #2,580 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Picked up the most recent Gojira, and been listening, and liking quite a bit. Thanks DA!

I was late to the game myself, Gojira has been recommended many times here by others.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back