Darkest Desires Part V
May 26, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #2,551 of 2,645
got Madder Mortem's new album in the mail from Burning Shed Mailorder today with a nice poster of the album art included.

Spinned through once while I was cooking dinner and I have to say I enjoyed it, it goes back to more All Flesh is Grass / Deadlands sound with a few of the slower/jazzier song-types from Desiderata

May 30, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #2,552 of 2,645
I've been getting more into doom lately. I'm not too sure what has changed since the last time I tried to get into the style, but it seems like the path I'm on at the moment is yielding a lot of bands that have far more appeal to me than those I had tried previously.

I still can't tolerate bands like Skepticism and Thergothon, but I have recently listened to and mostly loved the following -

Evoken - Quietus
Shape of Despair - Angels of Distress
Doom:VS - Empire of the Fallen
Longing for Dawn - A Treacherous Ascension
Officium Triste - Giving Yourself Away

I tried The Monad of Creation from Mournful Congregation as well, but I'm not too sure what I think of it yet... I don't dislike it though.

I think Evoken, Shape of Despair, and Officium Triste appeal to me the most. It might be a combination of the great production values and the fact that those bands tend to change things up throughout the songs - maybe go from excruciatingly slow to a little less slow occasionally, throw some variety into the riffing, have the drums break out of their monotone rhythmic trappings every now and then (Evoken especially seems great at this while still maintaining that feeling of crawling despair), mix up the vocal approaches, and so forth.

If anybody knows other doom bands with a similar approach, lemme know!

May 30, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #2,553 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been getting more into doom lately. I'm not too sure what has changed since the last time I tried to get into the style, but it seems like the path I'm on at the moment is yielding a lot of bands that have far more appeal to me than those I had tried previously.

I still can't tolerate bands like Skepticism and Thergothon, but I have recently listened to and mostly loved the following -

Evoken - Quietus
Shape of Despair - Angels of Distress
Doom:VS - Empire of the Fallen
Longing for Dawn - A Treacherous Ascension
Officium Triste - Giving Yourself Away

I tried The Monad of Creation from Mournful Congregation as well, but I'm not too sure what I think of it yet... I don't dislike it though.

I think Evoken, Shape of Despair, and Officium Triste appeal to me the most. It might be a combination of the great production values and the fact that those bands tend to change things up throughout the songs - maybe go from excruciatingly slow to a little less slow occasionally, throw some variety into the riffing, have the drums break out of their monotone rhythmic trappings every now and then (Evoken especially seems great at this while still maintaining that feeling of crawling despair), mix up the vocal approaches, and so forth.

Well the two best doom albums ever for me would be the first two Shape of Despair albums: Shades of + Angels of Distress

51wfIUeKYBL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
3173PDF1BPL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Then you need to try a couple of the My Dying Bride early masterworks like:
-Turn Loose the Swans
-Angel and the Dark River

514%2BzLrVIRL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
41rIt-2p3wL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

May 30, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #2,554 of 2,645
Asmox: Also try the official releases by Doom: VS.: Aeternum Vale and Dead Words Speak. Both are very good albums with Dead Words Speak being the better of the two albums. In addition, try The June Frost from Mournful Congregation. At the moment, I like that album better than The Monad of Creation. I will have to try some of the bands you have listed as well; thanks for the recommendations...

May 31, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #2,555 of 2,645
Old Man's Child - Slaves of the World

A trickle of noteable new albums still being released like the newest OMC offering. Galder although a member of Dimmu Bogir has surpassed them in his last couple albums, nothing really new here just great dark metal from the 1990s glory days similar to golden era Dimmu. The difference is the fire still burns brightly for Galder while it has been reduced to a flicker for Dimmu Bogir.

Album #7 by my count, have them all and would not part with any.
If I have any critique it is that Galder extreme vocals are good but not great,
Shagrath for instance in early Dimmu albums had a great venomous bite to his extreme vocals, but alas that also is just a memory of times past

Waiting for domestic release of Madder Mortum.........

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #2,557 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif

other good funeral doom

Ataraxie - Slow Transcending Agony
Disembowelment - Transcending into the Peripheral (the birth of the genre basically)
Esoteric - any album
Moss - Cthonic Rites (more drone/funeral)
(a lot of transcendence in doom isn't there)

When I think of more i'll post in the thread, I've got quite a bit.

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #2,558 of 2,645
Just got back from Summer Slaughter... 10 straight hours of relentless death ****ing metal. Great show and a great lineup this year - Suffocation, Dying Fetus, Origin, Necrophagist, Beneath the Massacre, Decrepit Birth, and a bunch more.

This was only the second date in the US, I think. Many more over the next two months - catch it if you can.

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #2,559 of 2,645
I really like the two Doom:VS albums, and you can't go wrong with Shape of Despair. Unfortunately I haven't done much exploration outside of those two bands until recently.

I just came across Remembrance's Silencing the Moments and am liking it quite a bit. I did a quick search and saw that Enverxis didn't care for Frail Visions much. I haven't gone back and listened to that, but Silencing the Moments manages to stay interesting, has great atmosphere and production is decent. I'm definitely going to track down Frail Visions, and get back into exploring Doom/Funeral Doom stuff.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #2,560 of 2,645
Since I have been enjoying new Isis and Mastodon CDs I decided to add some more progressive dark metal........
I am a bit late on these but making up for lost ground:

515tMw%2B1NoL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
51QS4YQSP8L._SL160_AA115_.jpg
51tszMABU6L._SL160_AA115_.jpg
511A69P-OuL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

Gojira - Way of All Flesh, From Mars to Sirius, The Link
Disillusion - Times of Splendor

If you like Isis, Mastodon, Opeth, Cynic etc you have to like Gojira.......

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #2,561 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I have been enjoying new Isis and Mastodon CDs I decided to add some more progressive dark metal........
I am a bit late on these but making up for lost ground:

515tMw%2B1NoL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
51QS4YQSP8L._SL160_AA115_.jpg
51tszMABU6L._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Gojira - Way of All Flesh, From Mars to Sirius, The Link

I am really digging the new Mastodon.

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #2,563 of 2,645
DA just listened to a bit on Pandora, will be checking them out when I get home!

Scoty

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #2,564 of 2,645
Since Kerrazy has dissappeared my exposure to new metal has decreased massively. What should I check out? Lately I've been digging:
  1. The Faceless
  2. Born of Osiris
  3. Mastodon
  4. Between the Burried and Me
  5. Protest the Hero

I'm excited about the new Killswitch Engage, Born of Osiris and Darkest Hour albums but I need some new tunes in the mean time.

Thanks in advance for the info and criticisms of my musical taste.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #2,565 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really do not have a definitive opinion of this album. There is great energy and music in it, but I get WAY too much of a System of a Down vibe from the vocals and pacing sometimes.

Still digging the new Mastodon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back