Darkest Desires Part V
May 16, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #2,536 of 2,645
Bought Mastodon's Crack The Skye today and am liking it more than Blood Mountain on my first spin of the disc. Seems more accessible - does this mean it is more mainstream sounding than their previous albums?

Tried to get Isis's Wavering Radiant - but the guy in the record shop said the disc isn't out yet in Hong Kong!!!

May 17, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #2,538 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bought Mastodon's Crack The Skye today and am liking it more than Blood Mountain on my first spin of the disc. Seems more accessible - does this mean it is more mainstream sounding than their previous albums?

Tried to get Isis's Wavering Radiant - but the guy in the record shop said the disc isn't out yet in Hong Kong!!!

Mainstream is not quite the right word...........more progressive
Combines more diverse elements, a larger music palatte therefore less agressive overall sound, but still not mainstream by any means

I am 100% sure you will love Isis WR album is you like Crack the Skye......

May 18, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #2,539 of 2,645
I have Isis' Panopticon - think it is very good but not an everyday listen. So am eagerly awaiting the new album.

As for Mastodon, I just find Crack The Skye most listenable than Blood Mountain. I think you are right in saying that it is perhaps less aggressive. At any rate, I rather like the final track The Last Baron and was listening to it on my way to work this morning as a warm-up to meeting with the CEO.

May 22, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #2,542 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally managed to get Waring Radiant today - listening to it now and liking it so far.

Do you have other Isis albums?
You may also want to check out some Neurosis albums as well while the money is flowing.......

May 22, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #2,543 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have other Isis albums?
You may also want to check out some Neurosis albums as well while the money is flowing.......

When I first got into Neurosis (like 2 months ago lol) I tried Isis out and actually bought Panopticon and Oceanic (which are considered to be their two best albums before WR came out) but I can never seem to get into it. So even if you're not into Isis definitely check out Neurosis. Start with Enemy of the Sun, then Through Silver In Blood, Times Of Grace (even better synced with Tribe of Neurot's "Grace"), and Given To The Rising.

Eventually Isis will click for me and then I'll love it... maybe.
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #2,546 of 2,645
Enverxis: I have to hand it to you, so far Mournful Congregation is outstanding. I finally had the time to give The Monad Of Creation a good listen, and I really dig it. The vocals are perfect in that they do not distract the listener from the music, something that far too many doom/funeral metal bands are guilty of. I am also winding my way through The June Frost and the first track, Solemn Strikes The Funeral Chime is so depressingly awesome. I love it when bands can incorporate a bell toll and make it work. It is very cliche, but I am a sucker for them. On with the listening...

May 25, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #2,550 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Through Silver in Blood.

c8062798r9c.jpg

Asmox again is right on the money, 1996 "silver" is the best Neurosis album overall.

The albums before and after are also very good:
-enemy of the sun
-times of grace

Also newest album "given to the rising" is nearly as good as the classic era Neurosis, and closer in style to Isis WR.............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back