Darkest Desires Part V
Apr 23, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #2,507 of 2,645
Been listening to Callisto's newest album Providence a lot lately. I have to say, I REALLY dig the new singer's clean voice. It really fits the style of music very well, and I really like how he swings from from high to medium pitch as he sings the lyrics. The first three songs on this album are on par if not a bit better than what is on Noir and that is saying a lot since I adore that album. If The End does not stock this album soon, I will have to bite the bullet and get it from their site in Europe; that is what I had to do with Noir.

Two thumbs up. Love this album!!!

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #2,508 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember Amesoeurs from a while back I think I listened to a demo, will check out

Waiting ...waiting on for it to arrive.
Reviews are remarkably positive.

May 1, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #2,510 of 2,645
Hi! (waves)

Just checking in.

The new Gathering is awesome -- really like it a lot.

The new Lacuna Coil is excellent, not nearly as bad as the detractors say it is -- when I listen to Lacuna Coil on shuffle on my iPod, the new songs fit right in with the older ones (I basically have the entire catalog).

Thanks for the reminder on Giant Squid, I really liked that previous album, need to get the new one.

I've been really enjoying Gojira, The Ocean, The Crown (still), A Storm of Light, Grails, God Forbid (still), Alchemist (still), new Cynic ROCSK*, and...that's all I can think of, offhand.

*Nice departure for "that difficult second album".
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #2,511 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi! (waves)

Just checking in.

The new Lacuna Coil is excellent, not nearly as bad as the detractors say it is -- when I listen to Lacuna Coil on shuffle on my iPod, the new songs fit right in with the older ones (I basically have the entire catalog).

Thanks for the reminder on Giant Squid, I really liked that previous album, need to get the new one.

I've been really enjoying Gojira, The Ocean, The Crown (still), A Storm of Light, Grails, God Forbid (still), Alchemist (still), new Cynic ROCSK*, and...that's all I can think of, offhand.

smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, been a long time! Welcome back. Hope you stick around...

May 1, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #2,512 of 2,645
FYI, for anybody who is aware of but has not really been following Exivious, their first full length is finally about to be released in the second week of May. 1000 copies are available for pre-order @ exivious.

For anybody who isn't aware of Exivious, they might as well be a Cynic cover band... and to be honest, the sample tracks that are streaming on their website appeal to me way, way more than anything on Traced in Air did. They are very, very good and there's absolutely no way this album won't be worth the money for anybody who is any kind of Cynic fan. For me, there's very little doubt in my mind that it will be the best purchase of the year.

Aside from that, I think I've gone through more than 100 albums in the last last month or two.

Enverxis - I finally got around to listening to To-Mera. Transcendental was pretty good. Delusions - not so much. Overall, I think I was expecting this band to blow my mind considering the amount of hype I had heard over the years, but it turned out to be little more than somewhat above average prog metal with some kick ass riffing scattered around. Maybe I just listen to too much metal and am disillusioned. Who knows!

I also finally got around to listening to Psychotic Waltz after having their albums on my wishlist for years. It's a shame that their work was so heavily eclipsed by bands like Fates Warning and Dream Theater back in the early 90's - they are pretty good. Sorta technical thrash meets Jethro Tull? I dunno.

Anacrusis - similar situation as above. These guys should really be mentioned right alongside bands like Slayer and Dark Angel as wielders of righteous thrash.

Vulture Industries - I haven't been following this thread much lately, so I'm not sure what's been mentioned and what hasn't, but this band really surprised me. They sound very much like Garm-era Arcturus, especially in the vocal department (the guy is really, really good). Musically, they are a bit more straightforward and not as off the wall as Arcturus, which makes for a more accessible but no less interesting listen. Their album The Dystopia Journals is solid and highly recommended.

Elend - I've been putting this group off for a long time, but I finally checked out Winds Devouring Men. Not too sure what I think of it yet, but it seems interesting enough. I'll be giving it more listens in the near future.

Direwolf - I stumbled across this completely by accident, and it was probably one of the better random discoveries I've made in a long while. Quirky metal from Behold... the Arctopus guitarist Mike Lerner. Sounds somewhat like a Ron Jarzombek solo project with painstakingly programmed drums in the vein of Devin Townsend's ZTO, spacey ambiance, a plethora of vocal styles, and a very clean production job all thrown into some kind of sci-fi concept album.

Continuo Renacer - I was pointed in the direction of this band by a friend, and I'm generally satisfied. Lots of influence from bands like Cynic, Atheist, Spiral Architect, and Canvas Solaris. Maybe a little boring at times and the music occasionally loses its flow, but mostly very cool. Continuo Renacer - 'Tap That Angel' has some great ideas going on.

Baroness - has been on my wishlist for a while, but somebody mentioned them to me again a short while ago so I went ahead and picked up Red Album out of turn. Very nice. Sounds like a mix of Isis and Mastodon - hard to go wrong with that.

Long Distance Calling - one of the better post rock/metal bands I've run into recently. The songs have a more technical bend (a bit like the first Russian Circles album, maybe), the songwriting is generally tight, and the climaxes are always rewarding. Avoid the Light is a nice album - they do it right. Jonas Renkse sings on one of the songs, too.

Scarve - this band surprised the hell out of me. They sound like a cross between Destroy Erase Improve-era Meshuggah and Morbid Angel, and they even got Fredrik Thordendal to perform string duty on one of the tracks. Monstrous production values and a very impressive drum performance here, though everything else is great as well.

Wastefall - you know how sometimes somebody will say something along the lines of, "Dude, this vocalist sounds EXACTLY like this other vocalist"... and then you take a listen and they don't sound anything alike? Well, the vocalist from Wastefall sounds EXACTLY like Daniel Gildenlow from Pain of Salvation - zero exaggeration. I was a bit stunned at first because I never thought Daniel could be imitated like that, but it happened. Musically, this is sort of average, but it's worth hearing for any PoS fan just to marvel at the vocals.

Panzerballett - I'm not really sure if this band has any real place in this thread. They don't seem to be very well known... anywhere... which is a shame. Their style is a fusion of jazz and metal, but it isn't disjointed and random like a lot of mediocre "jazz metal" bands. There's a very solid traditional jazz background here fused seamlessly with metallic arrangements. Very fluid and very awesome.

Obscura - Listened to the Cosmogenesis album. Fairly standard tech metal. Riffing is very reminiscent of Theory in Practice. Soloing is very reminiscent of Necrophagist. The bass presence and some of the vocals are sorta reminiscent of Cynic, I guess. Not bad, not great. If you like tech metal, it's worth checking out.

Burst - Listened to Lazarus Bird. As much as a blend of sludge, post rock, prog, and metalcore sounds like a complete mess, this album is surprisingly good. High production values as well.

I've also been trying to get into doom again, since it has always been a style of music that I've never been able to tolerate for any extended period of time. The attempt was hit and miss - I tried Skepticism's Stormcrowfleet and caught myself falling asleep by the time the second track rolled around. Pass. However, I revisited my copy of Esoteric's Subconscious Dissolution into the Continuum and found myself liking it quite a bit more than when I last listened to it (which was a long time ago). I went ahead and tried Metamorphogenesis and The Maniacal Vale as well, but did not like either near as much. I also tried out Italian sludge/doom band Ufomammut, which was listenable and overall fairly cool. I think I need to dig a little deeper and figure out exactly what elements of these bands are appealing to me and which are not, because some of them just mesh well with me even though they are sonically very similar to those which don't.

Hmm... some other bands which have long been on my wishlist that I have finally made my way to -

Pig Destroyer
The Chasm
Lykathea Aflame
Blut aus Nord
Ved Buens Ende
Aletheian
Stargazer
Dodheimsgard
Extol
Diabolical Masquerade
The Faceless

I found something to love in all of them, except for Dodheimsgard. I listened to 666 International, and I honestly just don't understand the point of their music. It's not bad, and it's not good, it's just... What is the point?

And I think that's mostly what's new in my world as far as metal is concerned. Time to work on the next set of albums...

Also, I'm going to see Gojira tomorrow, Cynic a few weeks later, and Atheist in July - ****** yes.

May 1, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #2,513 of 2,645
I picked up Soulfallen - World Expiration (melodic death/black metal) the other day, just got around to listening to it and it's good stuff. Not boring, or annoying. Just ordered their new album Grave New World curious to see how it sounds.

May 1, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #2,514 of 2,645
Quote:

Hi! (waves)

Just checking in.

smily_headphones1.gif

The ancient one has returned, hails to Dusty...........

Dusty goes way back, one of the very first members when Head-fi first started, also one of the key early posters to the darkest Desires I thread, incredible music collection and broad knowledge of many types of music

Don't have the new Gathering or Lacuna Coil, perhaps I will try the new Lacuna Coil as a favor to Cristina Scabia
I am waiting for new Madder Mortum which will come out soon in USA

May 1, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #2,515 of 2,645
Asmox, quite a list you have there.......

Anacrusis
I had one CD before, and after getting tipped off in recent Death Metal thread here I downloaded free albums from groups website, very good metal from one of the many groups lost in the shuffle during death metal heydays

Also from that DM thread I picked up a couple CDs from The Chasm, great Mexican DM that I would have never thought posssible, included in you list below I see......

Elend
RTN, Nacher really likes them, I have a couple CDs but find them you need to develop a special taste for them, not immediately appealing avant guard metal

Baroness
Some great retro post metal sounds like The Sword etc, I been listening to latest Mastodon "crack the Skye" recently also

From your list below I especially like
Blut Aus Nord
Diabolical Masquerade

May 1, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #2,517 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I'm going to see Gojira tomorrow, Cynic a few weeks later, and Atheist in July - ****** yes.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'm going to try to make it tonight. I'm going to try to make the other two as well.

Dark Angel -- I think I go back even farther than that -- I was one of the people (me and KR...) that talked you into trying out extreme metal, which set you on your road of discovery.

May 1, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #2,518 of 2,645
Quote:

Thanks for the heads-up, I'm going to try to make it tonight. I'm going to try to make the other two as well.

Dark Angel -- I think I go back even farther than that -- I was one of the people (me and KR...) that talked you into trying out extreme metal, which set you on your road of discovery.

Oh yes........long long ago in a far away distant time, I was trying to understand how people can listen to those horrible extreme vocals that made no sense to me
wink_face.gif

Now I have a seperate CD rack just for dark metal with 700-800 CDs

What ever happened to KR?
He was the king of dark metal when Head-Fi first came online.....

May 1, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #2,519 of 2,645
...and now you also know more about it (by far!) than I do. I have to admit, I really admire the way you embraced your new love.

And: I have no idea.
frown.gif
I miss KR...

May 2, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #2,520 of 2,645
Just wanted to say that Gojira put on a ****ing AMAZING show last night. I'm pretty sure Backbone, Flying Whales, and The Art of Dying live were some of the most intense things I've been subject to in a while... and I think my neck is going to be out of commission for a week.

See them if you can - last night was just their first date in the US.

Copyofboris060.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back