Darkest Desires Part V
Mar 10, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #2,491 of 2,645
Sunday night I saw Mournful Congregation at the East Brunswick Club in Melbourne, after 15 years, 2009 is the year that the band gets together and plays live!

The band lists 3 members on their myspace and Metal Archives sites but their live show saw them spanking 3 guitarists and a bass player which really filled out the sound.

All I can say is OH MY GOD!
basshead.gif

They played "Mother, Water, The Great Sea Wept" and I have to say it was one of the best live experiences I've ever had. The song overpowered me with emotion. Someone else also at the gig came up with the words "If I hadn't been so transfixed, so completely and utterly floored by the very spectacle, I might've scurried off home to a darkened room and rued the fact I'd never again hear something so perfect, nor so touching." And I would agree.

The other tracks were less memorable, I don't think the new album is quite as good as the first, and they also played an older track, but nothing could come close to the monumental experience of Mother, Water, The Great Sea Wept

Here's their tourlist for the next month

10 Apr 2009 8:00 P
MJC Rive Gauche Rouen, France
11 Apr 2009 8:00 P
The Baroeg Rotterdam, Netherlands
12 Apr 2009 8:00 P
Bambi Galore Hamburg, Germany
14 Apr 2009 8:00 P
Club Hella Tampere, Finland
15 Apr 2009 8:00 P
Dante’s Highlight Helsinki, Finland
16 Apr 2009 8:00 P
Rockclub Tapper Tallinn, Estonia
17 Apr 2009 8:00 P
Melna Piektdiena Riga, Latvia
18 Apr 2009 8:00 P
Plan B Moscow, Russia
19 Apr 2009 8:00 P
Muse Club Vilnius, Lithuania
20 Apr 2009 8:00 P
Tektura Lublin, Poland
21 Apr 2009 8:00 P
U Bazyla Poznan, Poland
22 Apr 2009 8:00 P
Art Cafe Wodzislaw Slaski, Poland
23 Apr 2009 8:00 P
Black Pez Prague, Czech Republic
24 Apr 2009 8:00 P
Top Act Zapfendorf, Germany
25 Apr 2009 8:00 P
Dynamo Eindhoven, Netherlands
26 Apr 2009 8:00 P
De Rots Antwerp, Belgium
1 May 2009 8:00 P
SWR Festival Porto, Portugal

Nacher might be interested in going to one of the Finland gigs

Mar 11, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #2,492 of 2,645
Some more updates on The Gathering's upcoming album "The West Pole"

Two guest vocalists are Marcela Bovio and Anne Rosa

Tracklisting is as follows

1.When Trust Becomes Sound
2.Treasure
3.All You Are
4.You Promised Me A Symphony
5.The West Pole
6.Capital Of Nowhere
7.No Bird Call
8.Pale Traces
9.No One Spoke
10.A Constant Run

and people who've already heard the album on the MFVF Forums wrote that people who loved Anneke and their music around "How To Measure A Planet?" would totally like "The West Pole".

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #2,493 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some more updates on The Gathering's upcoming album "The West Pole"

Two guest vocalists are Marcela Bovio and Anne Rosa

and people who've already heard the album on the MFVF Forums wrote that people who loved Anneke and their music around "How To Measure A Planet?" would totally like "The West Pole".

Sounds good to me, I didn't really like the soft music direction of last couple albums.........going back to style of planet put me back in the fan list, I hope they don't sound anything like the song on Anne Rosa's homepage however
frown.gif

Waiting for new Madder Mortem to be released........

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #2,494 of 2,645
Quote:

They played "Mother, Water, The Great Sea Wept" and I have to say it was one of the best live experiences I've ever had. The song overpowered me with emotion. Someone else also at the gig came up with the words "If I hadn't been so transfixed, so completely and utterly floored by the very spectacle, I might've scurried off home to a darkened room and rued the fact I'd never again hear something so perfect, nor so touching." And I would agree.

WOW! Now that's a show I'd like to see. Sounds awesome! I gotta check these guys out.

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #2,495 of 2,645
Further updates on The Gathering - "The West Pole"

SAMPLES available on Myspace

I'm enjoying the title track which sounds similarish to Travel in some parts, but not as keen on the other two yet.

Album Cover
229868.jpg

Band Photo
797_photo.jpg

The album was mixed and mastered by Zlaya Hadzich, who also did the production of Souvenirs. Good sign because the production of Souvenirs is quite good, and there's some deep bass on some of the tracks.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #2,496 of 2,645
Just got back from the Summer Slaughter tour here in Australia (Perth). It's just a group of DM/tech death bands touring together. Fairly small event, but DM is a pretty small scene here.

Missed almost the entire set by the openers, but from the sounds of it, they were a local act. Sounded quite good, so I'll look into it. Good to know there's some potential in our little city.

Next up were The Faceless, who were pretty decent tech death. Then Aborted, who sounded pretty good, but unfortunately had to bring the metalcore mentality and started calling for every cliched mosh pit type (up until then, and thankfully after them, it was all just good old fashioned headbanging).

Dying Fetus I'd never heard of. The guy came out with the first 4 string bass of the night, so I figured "no problems. Some straight up DM here". Not so. Awesome, awesome basswork (tech riffing, lots of tapping), and great syching between the bassist and guitarist gave the three piece a really meaty sound. I think they could have done a bit more if the guitarist/bassist didn't mimic each other so totally, though. Still, definitely a band I'll be looking into more

Necrophagist headlined, and they were simply brilliant. So tight, so good, such great music. Definitely will try and catch them every time they're here. And while there was a hell of a lot of headbanging that night... there wasn't much during Necrophagist, because everyone was too busy watching the guitar work (and trying to follow all 3 at once - bassist is also awesome). Without a doubt the best playing I've seen live. Every breakdown did see the hair flying, though.

Overall an awesome gig, and a great breakthrough for live DM in Oz.

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #2,497 of 2,645
Sounds awesome!
smily_headphones1.gif
Are they coming to Melbourne? I'll probably end up missing it due to being low on cash though
frown.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #2,500 of 2,645
Quote:

Any of you guys heard the new Gathering yet?

No, but I hope it is good. Have you heard it yet? Here is the funny part; I am listening to Strange Machines as I read this post
smily_headphones1.gif

In other news, I hear that Pianissimo will be released next month. Not sure if it is set in stone, as it is not in any official announcement, but I sure hope it is correct. I cannot wait to hear this side of them.

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #2,501 of 2,645
Quote:

Any of you guys heard the new Gathering yet?

I like it. I'm not sure what I expected, but it seems like the challenge of going with a new singer reinvigorated their songwriting. There are some great tracks there and is a strong album start to finish.

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #2,503 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, but I hope it is good. Have you heard it yet? Here is the funny part; I am listening to Strange Machines as I read this post
smily_headphones1.gif

In other news, I hear that Pianissimo will be released next month. Not sure if it is set in stone, as it is not in any official announcement, but I sure hope it is correct. I cannot wait to hear this side of them.

Yeah I've heard it. I like it! Silje Wergeland can sing Anneke's style pretty well but I think they played it fairly safe with the vocals as Silje has quite a powerful voice and sang fairly low most of the album.

They also have 2 guest vocalists, Marcela Bovio from Stream of Passion does a fantastic job on her song "Pale Traces". Anne van den Hoogen sings on the song Capital of Nowhere, her voice is greatly suited to the particular song, it's a dreampop sort of track. Both of the guest vocalists wrote their own lyrics for the songs.

As far as the music goes, I didn't like it at first, but like most Gathering albums, it grows on you, and now I'm starting to really enjoy it. I can't really say what album it's closest to ... It has it's own sound that's for sure.

I've got a treat for Madder Mortem fans by the way. If you sign up to the Peaceville Mailing List, you get a free download of one of the tracks from the upcoming Madder Mortem album
Peaceville

\m/ HELL YEAH \m/ They're still as good as ever
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #2,504 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by PWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Next up were The Faceless, who were pretty decent tech death. Then Aborted, who sounded pretty good, but unfortunately had to bring the metalcore mentality and started calling for every cliched mosh pit type (up until then, and thankfully after them, it was all just good old fashioned headbanging).

No idea about the social dynamics of mosh pits, but I am impressed by the few songs from The Faceless I have listened to.
They strike as me as fairly skilled for their age group and in general.

Apr 19, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #2,505 of 2,645
A few interesting notes:

Albums that look interesting:

A new Giant Squid album is out, my copy just arrived, at: GIANT SQUID ( The Ichthyologist available now!) on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

New Amesoeurs is out, too. Check [ Aquarius Records ]

This Swedish Death Metal Book and cd looks to be fairly interesting:

Amazon.com: Swedish Death Metal: Daniel Ekeroth: Books

Amazon.com: Swedish Death Metal: Swedish Death Metal: Music

Albums listened to:

Funeral Mist- Maranatha: Strong dose of Death Spell Omega worship, with some unexpected bits tossed in. Production not too bad either.

Fen- The Malediction Fields: Closer to Wolves in the Throne Room than DSO. A few spins says this is a good disk. Shifts from black metal kreig to clean guitar breakdown at the campsite moments.

Ayat- Six Years of Dormant Hatred: Over the top, but well played occasional punkish black metal with heavy use of samples etc. Production is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back