Darkest Desires Part V
Jan 21, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #2,446 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I - Between two Worlds
Also ordered this CD cheap used at Amazon which was made by Abbath after break-up of Immortal, sound samples are very good, look forward to getting this which actually came out 11/2006

21RWZN22LkL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Very good album by Abbath, sounds to me like they used the final track of Immortal's Sons of Northern Darkness album called "beyond the north waves" and did 10 slight variations on it for this album.......which is fine because I really like that song, but not much variation of style on this album.

That said still a very enjoyable album for me

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #2,447 of 2,645
Quote:

Order has been placed for new Enslaved Vertebrae CD, plus also to complete the entire catalog ordered Monumension CD which is only Enslaved album I don't currently own

Vertebrae
Continues the style of Ruun and Isa which is to incorporate various progressive elements into an overall melodic death/black metal sound, if you like those albums you will love Vertebrae

Monumension
Is the most unusal sounding album by Enslaved, songs are long and contain extended segements of atmospheric Pink Floyd like sounds, overall works but kinda like mixing oil and water and never quite meshes fully for me.......I think Vertebrae direction is more successful but fans will want to own this bold experiment by one of the great nordic masters

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #2,448 of 2,645
Recently picked up Negură Bunget - 'n Crugu Bradului and Om. Wasn't too sure how I felt about the band's sound initially after I had picked up the box set a while back, but after repeated plays, they've become favorites of mine. So far enjoying the two new acquisitions as well.

Jan 23, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #2,449 of 2,645
Highly advised (I spent the whole weekend listening to them on my CD dust-off reaching letter D) is Desire, the portuguese death/doom band.

Sorrowfull feeling, memorable melodies, strongs riffing, guttural/black-metallish vocals, great.

I don't know were you can get any of their albums ("Infinity...", "Pentacrow" or "Locus Horrendus") as the first two were released on a portuguese kinda underground label and the last one (and my personal favorite, "Locus Horrendus") is self released, but if you can find them give them a try.

Or try youtube (not the greatest sound quality as always):

YouTube - DESIRE - Torn apart (8)
YouTube - Desire - When Sorrow Embraces My Heart mov.III (live)
YouTube - Desire - When Sorrow Embraces My Heart
YouTube - Desire - "Torn Apart" (Live)

Jan 25, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #2,450 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by captainzoli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently picked up Negură Bunget - 'n Crugu Bradului and Om. Wasn't too sure how I felt about the band's sound initially after I had picked up the box set a while back, but after repeated plays, they've become favorites of mine. So far enjoying the two new acquisitions as well.

That 3CD box set of back catalog is essential, you could never find those old Negura Cds now, The End may still have a couple boxsets for sale.........
I see there is also a newer 6CD boxset at Amazon that includes 'n Crugu Bradului and Om plus a CD of early works, but very expensive compared to 3CD set

Many years ago I purchased Negură Bunget - 'n Crugu Bradului in an beautiful long box 4 panel digipak format........next to the CD tray was a fold out flap with a real hemlock sprig from Translyvanian forests attached, wow!
(band is from that area)

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #2,451 of 2,645
Quote:

Satyricon
New album Age of Nero to be released in USA very soon 1/13/09

Japc have you heard this yet?

5140Ge7QQqL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Japc is right.............this is pretty weak effort, not as good as previous Now Diabolical album, Satyricon has lost its way and have no edge now sinking into mediocraty, how the mighty have fallen
frown.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #2,453 of 2,645
Quote:

That 3CD box set of back catalog is essential, you could never find those old Negura Cds now, The End may still have a couple boxsets for sale.........
I see there is also a newer 6CD boxset at Amazon that includes 'n Crugu Bradului and Om plus a CD of early works, but very expensive compared to 3CD set

Many years ago I purchased Negură Bunget - 'n Crugu Bradului in an beautiful long box 4 panel digipak format........next to the CD tray was a fold out flap with a real hemlock sprig from Translyvanian forests attached, wow!
(band is from that area)

Sounds like nice packaging. Couldn't really expect anything that nice for the five bucks I paid, but I am enjoying it very much.

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #2,454 of 2,645
Been casting my net out to broaden my horizons lately to see if I missed anything in this series of threads. I have hit a bit of a rut for a while in terms of hearing new stuff that I liked, so I have been sampling literally dozens of albums from many different bands; a bit of late night wandering if you will. Here is what caught my attention:

1. Doom:VS - Aeternum Vale and Dead Words Speak: GREAT band. I love the slow crushing tempo of the music and the harsh/clean vocals are good (the clean parts sound very Ozzy-esque at times).

2. Eluveitie - Slania: HELLO less epic and slightly more Celtic/less Viking sounding Moonsorrow!!! Great stuff, and I have the female vocals from Slania's Song stuck in my head. I found the rest of the discography as well, but I have not smapled it yet. Supposed to be less metal and more folk, we shall see...

3. Ulver - Shadows Of The Sun: Perfect chill out music late at night. I really feel exactly like I have been transported to the scene of the cover of the album.

4. Therion - All Albums: This will take forever to fully digest, but having already been a fan of Secret of the Runes, I wanted to give the rest a try. I tried the much hailed Theli first, and even though I like Secret of the Runes more (at least currently), it was a good album. I will play them sporadically, but I like what I hear so far...

5. Skepticism - Alloy: Love the atmosphere and variation of this band. They manage to keep the slow dirge-like doom metal sound without being overly repetitive at all. Great use of organs hiding in the background throughout. It gives the funeral feeling without being too in your face about it. I have all the rest of their albums, and hopefully they will be as good as this one...

I have the following as well due to curiosity and good reviews/sound like they would be up my alley:

Draconian - All Albums: I hear Doom:VS is a side project of the lead singer
Edge of Sanity - Crimson: Lord Åkerfeldt, nuff said ( I have been meaning to get around to this one)
Esoteric - All Albums: Epic doom metal = high expectations
Mournful Congregation - All Albums: Same as Esoteric
Pelican - The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw: I keep hearing about this album; I want to see what the fuss is
Septic Flesh - Sumerian Daemons
Ulver - Bergtatt and Nattens Madrigal

I have a lot of late-night listening to do...

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #2,455 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Doom:VS - Aeternum Vale and Dead Words Speak: GREAT band. I love the slow crushing tempo of the music and the harsh/clean vocals are good (the clean parts sound very Ozzy-esque at times).

Great albums. "Aeternus" from Aeternum Vale is epic.

Quote:

3. Ulver - Shadows Of The Sun: Perfect chill out music late at night. I really feel exactly like I have been transported to the scene of the cover of the album.

Definitely summed that up perfectly... A great late-night listen. And the Black Sabbath cover does the original justice while doing something entirely its own.

Quote:

Actually, Johan Ericson is the guitarist and writes a lot of Draconian's stuff. Which makes his vocal work on the Doom:VS albums even more impressive. I think all of their albums are quite good, though the one you should really settle down with is Arcane Rain Fell. It reminds me a lot of Opeth's My Arms, Your Hearse (which I know you're big a fan of) in the sense that it's a concept album with a strong thread from start to finish. I think it's their strongest album, and I've been listening to it a bunch lately. The Anders Jacobsson's vocals are probably my favorite metal vocals out there and Lisa Johansson's vocals offset the rest perfectly.

Quote:

Pelican - The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw: I keep hearing about this album; I want to see what the fuss is

I have all of the Pelican albums. The Fire... is probably the best and most ambitious, but at times it seems to drag a bit for me towards the end. Their EP and Australasia are a little more raw, and City of Echos has a different feel for me all together. The best compliment I can pay them is that they sound like a post-rock version of Isis, with a little more variation of their sound to keep things interesting with the lack of vocals.

Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #2,456 of 2,645
Quote:

2. Eluveitie - Slania: HELLO less epic and slightly more Celtic/less Viking sounding Moonsorrow!!! Great stuff, and I have the female vocals from Slania's Song stuck in my head. I found the rest of the discography as well, but I have not smapled it yet. Supposed to be less metal and more folk, we shall see...

If you are Elend fan this is for you......

4. Therion - All Albums: This will take forever to fully digest, but having already been a fan of Secret of the Runes, I wanted to give the rest a try. I tried the much hailed Theli first, and even though I like Secret of the Runes more (at least currently), it was a good album. I will play them sporadically, but I like what I hear so far...

5. Skepticism - Alloy: Love the atmosphere and variation of this band. They manage to keep the slow dirge-like doom metal sound without being overly repetitive at all. Great use of organs hiding in the background throughout. It gives the funeral feeling without being too in your face about it. I have all the rest of their albums, and hopefully they will be as good as this one...

Doom:VS - Aeternum Vale
Don't have any work by them but do have all Draconian albums, so will look into them

Eluveitie - Slania
Whats not to like here, if you love folk metal you will love Eluveitie
I have older albums also......

Ulver - Shadows Of The Sun
An acquired taste I would say, very progressive and worlds away from early Bergtat album style

Therion - All Albums
Indeed, hard to go wrong with any work by them outside of first couple albums which were early death metal style

Skepticism - Alloy
I bought this and Esoteric - Maniacal Vale at the same time couple months ago, both are great works of doom but edge goes to new Esoteric, the cacading layers of vocals used to great effect

Jan 30, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #2,457 of 2,645
Quote:

Edge of Sanity - Crimson: Lord Åkerfeldt, nuff said ( I have been meaning to get around to this one)

Hmm. It feels kind of bizarre that you're talking of a Edge of Sanity album and praising Akerfeldt instead of Swano. It may be just me but I find it utterly unfair.

Quote:

Septic Flesh - Sumerian Daemons
Ulver - Bergtatt and Nattens Madrigal

Great choices.

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #2,458 of 2,645
Quote:

Been casting my net out to broaden my horizons lately to see if I missed anything in this series of threads. I have hit a bit of a rut for a while in terms of hearing new stuff that I liked, so I have been sampling literally dozens of albums from many different bands; a bit of late night wandering if you will. Here is what caught my attention:

Nice Work Matthew
beerchug.gif

Continue to listen to all Skepticism works, they're all awesome. Therion can sometimes be a bit hit and miss, the ones I recommend apart from those already listened to are Lepaca Kliffoth, Lemuria and Sirius B. I have yet to get into Gothic Kabbalah but that's on my "listen to more attentively" list. Deggial and Vovin are probably worth purchase if you enjoy their sound / style.
I too enjoy Ulver as well, I have Kveldssanger, Blood Inside and Shadows of the Sun and I enjoy all 3, actually really enjoying their newfound style.

Quote:

I have the following as well due to curiosity and good reviews/sound like they would be up my alley:

Esoteric - All Albums: Epic doom metal = high expectations
Mournful Congregation - All Albums: Same as Esoteric

With Draconian I recommend buying Where Lovers Mourn and Arcane Rain Fell and stop there. Newer stuff not as good, I feel they reached their potential with Arcane Rain Fell and then fell backwards never to recover.
Arcane Rain Fell is much like Ian stated, Where Lovers Mourn doesn't quite have that completeness about it, but it's still a very good album.

Esoteric Fantastic stuff, gods of funeral doom along with Skepticism, really does need a good sit down as albums are abysmally long. The weak shall suffer and the strong shall sit there with ears perched and faces grinning
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mournful Congregation Fantastic stuff, you'll love the sound of their Monad of Creation CD as well it's very well mastered. This funeral doom is more romantic and minimalistic than the great walls of sound of Esoteric or the eerie marshes of Skepticism. No keyboards present, they use the dead silence of the background in the music to great effect and often have a few acoustic guitar pieces.

I'm actually going to see them live in March at their first ever live gig
biggrin.gif

I also definitely recommend if you're getting into more Funeral Doom to check out Evoken - Quietus. Their newer stuff is a lot different in sound (same style of course) but I felt this was their perfect album. The atmosphere is agonizing and sickening but if you're enjoying Skepticism and Esoteric, you should love this as well.

Also if you haven't already you might want to grab Morgion - Cloaked By Ages, Crowned in Earth but I think you might already have it (from years ago memory).

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #2,459 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by japc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. It feels kind of bizarre that you're talking of a Edge of Sanity album and praising Akerfeldt instead of Swano. It may be just me but I find it utterly unfair.

Not really familiar with his body of work, so I don't view it as a snub. I had a look at his wiki, and jeez, he is a busy man.

en480c4: thanks for the clarification regarding Draconian.

Enverxis: thanks for the tips. When I find the time I will look into them
smily_headphones1.gif

The next few weeks should prove to be fun...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back