Darkest Desires Part V
Jun 28, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #1,951 of 2,645
Tell us how it was after you go, so far I think I'm the only person in the thread to have seen them, soon to be followed by a few more I hope
smily_headphones1.gif

Also I have acquired Reverend Bizarre - So Long Suckers by 'kerazzy' means. Only listened to the first song though (it's a split song 30 min long), good stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #1,952 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MF & Asmox

Whats up with the whale/planet mars artwork for Gojira????
Looks like this CD belongs in easy listening section

I actually quite liked the artwork and it does sort of relate to the musical themes on the album. I scanned it in put it on my desktop!

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #1,953 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats up with the whale/planet mars artwork for Gojira????
Looks like this CD belongs in easy listening section

Well, they sing about preservation of nature and global warming and that kind of stuff... so I suppose it fits.

Jun 29, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #1,954 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of Viking metal... I have recently tapped into the awesomeness that is Nordland II by Bathory. All I can say is "wow". I thought Hammerheart was awesome... Nordland II is pure gold. Check it out!

I hope you're not forgetting Nordland I though
icon10.gif

In my opinion, it's far more epic.

While we're covering Viking Metal, you guys listen to Ensiferum? Finnish viking metal with great guitar works, very melodic. Vocals varying from choirs and "viking on a mountain"-epic to harsh and raw.

Jun 30, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #1,956 of 2,645
So far I have survived two days of Tuska-Festival. Emperor was the todays last band, and the crowd just went totally nuts. I managed to get in like fourth or fifth row in a ~10k people audience, and when Emperor played I am the black wizards, the whole area was just one huge moshpit. I have tons of bruises and scars and my legs hardly move at all, but it sure was worth it! Ihsahn is the (anti)god!

Immortal was cool as well. Not a slightest chance of recognizing every played song, especially from the older material, but the overall grinding noise was appealing.

Seems like ISIS isn't known at all in Finland. They didn't get that much attention (far from Immortal in example), but they played a really good set. Possibly one of the best of the festival. Really impressing, and even the sound quality was top notch.

Moonsorrow had one hour of time to play, and managed to play whole three songs in that time. They started off with the second (~30min) track from Hävitetty, and continued with Jumalten Kaupunki from Kivenkantaja and ended with Sankaritarina from Voimasta ja Kunniasta.

Children of Bodom was good as always, but I have seen them tons of times and their recent material just isn't that great. Nice to watch, nothing to tell home about.

ps. Some band called Imperia had a hot female operatic singer. Even the songs weren't that bad. Reminded me a bit of Therion. may have to check out one of their albums.

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #1,960 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far I have survived two days of Tuska-Festival. Emperor was the todays last band, and the crowd just went totally nuts. I managed to get in like fourth or fifth row in a ~10k people audience, and when Emperor played I am the black wizards, the whole area was just one huge moshpit. I have tons of bruises and scars and my legs hardly move at all, but it sure was worth it! Ihsahn is the (anti)god!

Immortal was cool as well. Not a slightest chance of recognizing every played song, especially from the older material, but the overall grinding noise was appealing.

Seems like ISIS isn't known at all in Finland. They didn't get that much attention (far from Immortal in example), but they played a really good set. Possibly one of the best of the festival. Really impressing, and even the sound quality was top notch.

Moonsorrow had one hour of time to play, and managed to play whole three songs in that time. They started off with the second (~30min) track from Hävitetty, and continued with Jumalten Kaupunki from Kivenkantaja and ended with Sankaritarina from Voimasta ja Kunniasta.

Children of Bodom was good as always, but I have seen them tons of times and their recent material just isn't that great. Nice to watch, nothing to tell home about.

ps. Some band called Imperia had a hot female operatic singer. Even the songs weren't that bad. Reminded me a bit of Therion. may have to check out one of their albums.

Wow. One of the perks of living in Finland... you get to see Immortal, Moonsorrow, and COB all in one show. Lucky person
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #1,961 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I couldn't make the song out very well, but still... new Cynic :OOOOO

icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Ditto. Couldn't hear the song enough to make any judgements, but having new Cynic after 14 years is exciting to say the least.

Jul 1, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #1,962 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. One of the perks of living in Finland... you get to see Immortal, Moonsorrow, and COB all in one show. Lucky person
biggrin.gif

Yes Tuska Finland is one of the very best outdoor concerts each year on planet earth, also not far away Wakken Germany has great concerts also.
In USA we have Ozzfest.........yawn
redface.gif

Quote:

While we're covering Viking Metal, you guys listen to Ensiferum? Finnish viking metal with great guitar works, very melodic. Vocals varying from choirs and "viking on a mountain"-epic to harsh and raw

Yes I have all Ensiferum albums, very enjoyable. Will defintely buy next album they put out.........what else do you like?

Vintersorg - Solens Rotter
Finally listening to latest Vinty release, someone mentioned this a few pages back and it is a return to vintage early style. I would say this is more folk metal vs Viking metal however, acoustic/electric guitar + keybords + violin + unique percussion instruments etc with lots of tempo changes and mixed clean/extreme vocal styles. Vinty is a two man group now has Mattias Marklund with additional guest musicians, what I don't like too much is when both guys sing with Vinty doing rasp and other guy doing clean (perhaps it is Vinty doing two vocal tracks)........doesn't work too good for me, but it is an attempt to broaden music pallette

This is minor critique and I guess you have to try new things, this is one of the best Vintersorg albums along debut, Odemarkens, Cosmic genesis. Fans of folk metal and viking metal should buy, I give it a solid 8/10 and really nice complex mixture of new ideas/styles. Last track is a cool folk metal instrumental outro, very good ending!

Jul 1, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #1,963 of 2,645
Isn't it usually Vintersorg who does the clean vocals? I love his clean vocals, and those are about the only reason I listen to Vintersorg, heh.

Although Visions From The Spiral Generator is a really awesome album. It's a shame for those who like Vinty but doesn't speak Swedish, his Swedish lyrics are really something on this album. You're missing something
frown.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #1,964 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think that's actually Helena Iren Michaelsen, she's done some bikini shots for a few magazines (viewed by most in the femme metal scene as a slutty woman, but I'm not passing my judgement there). Don't see why everyone has to wear fairy costumes.

Jul 5, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #1,965 of 2,645
I know it's old and legendary, but I just got Athiest - Unquestionable Presence. Holy mother of god, this stuff is hot! It's already replaced Death's TSOP as my favourite drumming album, the level of complexity and the speed at which it's done is just inhuman. The fact it was released in 1991 really makes me look at modern day technical metal bands differently. Awesome stuff!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back