Darkest Desires Part V
Jun 7, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #1,906 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I'll get that MDB. When they shift gears and step on the gas, they're pretty great.
I've got everything by Emperor and enough of Dissection. Come to think of it, there isn't any band of any genre that sounds very much like another....unless it's one of those truly awful things like boy bands *shudder*

I'll get some Old Man's Child. I like Galder a lot and I think I recall Mr.PD (lost in the wilds of Oregon!) mentioning them and we had similar taste.

Hey Eyeteeth...I have three of Old Man's Childs albums:

Vermin (8/10) A stand out
Ill Natured Spiritual Invasion...I need more time as I end up listening to the other two...
In Defiance of Existence (9/10) One of their great ones

A little taste of "In Defiance of Existence":

"Black Seeds on Virgin Soils" has some unbelievable double bass and machinegun riffs (ok, the whole album does) and is a great song on the album. The album's title song is just so layered it is hard not to just fall back into and get carried away by ....(I love the intro of "War of Fidelity" on the Vermin album as well). Old Man's Child to me is just like hitting a wall of sound, perfect for some moments in life but their sound is just so heavy....just plain dense, thick...they just drag you down sometimes....but on that day when you want that heavy wave of metal that reaches out and grabs your lungs and squeezes....their sound is perfect. The best equation for me is like having a chain around your neck with a cinder block at the other end and you are going into the deep....you are looking up at the sunlight pouring through the water on your way down and it is bueatiful like track 7 " In Question of Enigmatic Dreams" and then track 8 "The Underworld Domains" hits in and you realize that you need to start swimming for your life...lol...track 9 "Life Derived" is that final frantic point when you are close to the surface but this is not horse shoes. I would recommend taking a listen to In Defiance of Existence as they just take the album so many places well that it is great but some of the others can be hard to take from start to finish IMHO. I will say, that the better my rig gets, the better these guys sound as there is just so much going on in every song. Don't forget to breathe!
blink.gif

I was in an Old Man's Child mood tonight and they didn't let me down...
wink.gif

I stole this as I thought that it was a great review (see credit at bottom):

In 2003, three years after Old Man's Child's last album and two years after Dimmu Borgir's latest, Galder returned with two new discs (the sixth C.D. from his side project, OMC's "In Defiance Of Existence," and Dimmu Borgir's "Death Cult Armageddon"). As on other Old Man's Child releases, Galder handled nearly every instrument on this album: second guitar, vocals, bass guitar, and synthesizers. But he is, unexpectedly, not the only one on here who really gets to show off his talents: Dimmu Borgir/Cradle Of Filth/Benediction alumni Nicholas Barker (who had been hired to pound the skins on this album), goes completely nuts, beating the stuffing out of his trapkit, and driving most of these rhythms with remarkable, fast, thumping blast beats.

Like all great melodic black metal, "In Defiance Of Existence" has several pretty, tranquil parts, but it's first and foremost brutal. The heavy parts feature Galder spewing his venomous, kind of snarly vocals over cold, opaque soundscapes of fiery guitars and ultra fast double kick drumming.

But this album also has a lot of great, very refined texture and variety because several of these songs subtly slip in a touch of moody keyboards and/or acoustic guitars. And OMC aren't like some dark metal bands who either make a song completely melodic or completely heavy (with no middle ground), because many of these tracks, like "Agony Of Fallen Grace" (which has a walloping, machine gun rhythm but also includes some spacey synths), are brutal and ambient at the same time.

The record's best song might be "Black Seeds On Virgin Soil." After a melodic intro, a surging, whiplash onslaught made up of a hurricane of guitar riffs and extremely busy double bass work bursts onto the scene. Similarly, "The Soul Receiver" begins with the sounds of a symphony, but then catapults into a heavily churning, pummeling rhythm. Track seven, "In Quest Of Enigmatic Dreams," is an interlude consisting of a very pretty string arrangement, but the album goes out with a bang: "The Underworld Domains" and "Life Deprived" are both scorchers, bursting with thrashy, scalding riffs and ultra-fast, skull-cracking blast beats.

It doesn't get much better than this, December 6, 2006
By A. Stutheit "andreaabs" (Littleton, CO USA)

Amazon.com review

Jun 7, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #1,907 of 2,645
Another reviewer mentioned the word "intense"...that works as well.
orphsmile.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #1,909 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Combat Audio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ill Natured Spiritual Invasion...I need more time as I end up listening to the other two...

CA
I am with you 100%, every OMC album is 8-9/10 for me, actually more consistently good than Dimmu over long period of time.....although no OMC album quite matches the magnificence of Dimmu's masterwork EDT 10/10.

I even really like OMC debut "born of the flickering" which is far superior to Dimmu's debut "for all tid" and reminds me of Satyricon "dark medieval times"

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #1,910 of 2,645
antiant
Who is in this group?
Give us the scoop I have no albums by them now.........

Two Cds have arrived:
Cadaveria - In Your Blood
Elend - A World in Their Screams (hopefully not too abstract for my taste)

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #1,911 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elend - A World in Their Screams (hopefully not too abstract for my taste)

Uhhh, it's pretty out there. I'd say probably the most "out there" Elend album. I bet you could scare the piss out of kids with this...

Nevertheless, this album is definitely great. It will probably not get played a whole lot when my wife is around
very_evil_smiley.gif
Although she is handy to have around to translate the lyrics to me
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #1,912 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Combat Audio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A little taste of "In Defiance of Existence"
Galder handled nearly every instrument on this album: second guitar, vocals, bass guitar, and synthesizers.

Hi Combat Audio, thanks for the insight/appreciation of OMC.

I did buy In Defiance of Existence as well as MDB's Deathless Kings. Unfortunately I've only heard about half of each, and through headphones only, as I'm intent on finishing converting my CD library into FLAC onto hard drive (80% finished this time consuming chore).

In Defiance of Existence struck me as the work of a single personality actually. There seemed a smaller dimensionality and some predictability to it. The Deathless Kings was interesting for the opening track which had absolutely nothing new about it yet had a sense of grandness, a masterful simplicity. Two minutes in I said to myself "these guys are so confident in themselves that they don't feel the need to prove anything". I got a bit bored later and aborted but with both these CDs hopefully I'll be back to proper listening soon.

My only indulgence has been Carpathian Forest's Black Shining Leather, which is instructive to me as I recall dismissing it a few years ago. Similarly to Old Man's Child is the sense of a single dominant personality at work but the work is much blacker, meaner and harsher. Given the (sick) humour found in singer Natterfrost's solo B & V and the inclusion of a cover of The Cure song A Forest, an acknowledgment of a wider world; despite appearances, Carpathian Forest don't take themselves overly seriously. Aside from the music, which is very strong, I really like the sound of guitar on this. It isn't a pyrotechnic demonstration of skills but a reverence for the sound of guitar it's self. I'm anticipating getting this out of the loudspeakers for a real assessment. I'm also going to have to check out the rest of the catalog, although I have a feeling this is their best work. Maybe DA can comment on this matter?
I was holding them in hand but thought the price too high.

I'll order from The End I guess unless someone has a better vendor.

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #1,913 of 2,645
Quote:

CA
I am with you 100%, every OMC album is 8-9/10 for me, actually more consistently good than Dimmu over long period of time.....although no OMC album quite matches the magnificence of Dimmu's masterwork EDT 10/10.

I even really like OMC debut "born of the flickering" which is far superior to Dimmu's debut "for all tid" and reminds me of Satyricon "dark medieval times"

That's interesting that you rate them so highly. Your post wasn't here when I started mine, which I began before I went to the corner and then had a black-out/light flicker/computer crash and retyped my post. ARRGH!

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #1,914 of 2,645
Carpathian Forest
Black Shining Leather is easily my favorite album by them, I was lucky to get a version that has bonus tracks of "Through Chasm, Caves and Titan Woods " EP included. Not a seamless stylistic fit since EP is much more atmospheric and not as directly agressive nekro as BSL, but a good EP on its own value, similar to satyricon "dark medieval times"

Other CF albums have good moments but not as solid track for track as BSL.

Jun 9, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #1,915 of 2,645
Quote:

antiant
Who is in this group?
Give us the scoop I have no albums by them now.........

they are... The Project Hate MCMXCIX

Official Website
Official Myspace Page

from wikipedia:

The Project Hate MCMXCIX (often referred to as Project Hate or simply The Hate) is a Swedish death metal band. It was formed in 1998 and released its debut album Cybersonic Superchrist in 2000. It is one of the few death metal bands who use a female singer (Jonna Enckell) along with the death grunts.

The Project Hate MCMXCIX was formed in 1998 after years of talking between long-time friends Kenth "Lord K." Philipson (formerly of Leukemia, House of Usher, Lame) and Jörgen Sandström (previously of Entombed (band) and Grave (band)). During that winter, they recorded their only demo, produced by Dan Swanö and included backing vocals by Lars Göran Petrov. The three song demo was sent out to four labels and in 1999 they signed with the German label Massacre Records.

The original concept came from the album done by Lord K and others under the name of Deathmarch. The album was entitled "The Project Hate MCMXCIX: The Initiation of Blasphemy. Lord K's first idea was to change the vocals to that of Jörgen's, but due to a studio blunder the tapes were lost. The album was since available to download for members of the Global Domination (Lord K's review website, which also host the TPH forums) forums. Apart from that, the album has never seen the light of day, until 2007. It has to be remastered by Dan Swanö and re-released on Vic Records. The album artwork and booklet has been redone as the original one was rather basic.

It's not like we'll make any money off this, and basically I don't ****en care for ****. All I want is that the label gets their money back for mastering and releasing it. I just think it's a nice thing that it gets out, whenever that happens. - Lord K. (theprojecthate.net)

By the end of 1999, The Project Hate recorded their widely-acclaimed debut album Cybersonic Superchrist. During the recording, the decision was made to add female vocalist Mia Ståhl to the band. Cybersonic Superchrist was released in 2000. Although reviews were positive, the album was difficult to come across.

The following year the band recorded their second album, titled When We are Done, Your Flesh Will Be Ours. The album was recorded in the late Nasum frontman Mieszko Talarczyk's Soundlab Studios. It was released in 2001, though the album was very difficult to find in stores much like the debut album.

In 2002, Petter S. Freed of 2 Ton Predator joined as a live guitarist. After contributing many ideas and much songwriting to the band, he was added as a permanent member.

Later that year, the band left Massacre Records. A live album in was recorded in Helsinki, Finland, properly titled Killing Hellsinki, which would later be released through Threeman Recordings in April 2003.

In late 2002, Mia Ståhl was fired and replaced with another female vocalist, Jonna Enckell. In April 2003, the band would go back to Soundlab Studios and Mieszko Talarczyk to record Hate, Dominate, Congregate, Eliminate.

In early 2005 the band began recording their fourth album, titled Armageddon March Eternal - Symphonies of Slit Wrists with Dan Swanö. Michael Håkansson of Evergrey joined the band as a bassist during the recording and later would join the band full-time. Armageddon March Eternal was released by Threeman Recordings on October 5, 2005.

In 2006, the band has left their record label and is currently working on their next album. In early 2007 the band singed with Peter Stormare's record label, StormVox. The band added drummer Mojjo for their upcoming album, to have live drums for the first time since the band's creation.

Discography:

The Project Hate MCMXCIX: Initiation of Blasphemy (under the name Deadmarch) (1999)

Cybersonic Superchrist (2000)

When We Are Done, Your Flesh Shall Be Ours (2001)

Killing Helsinki (Live Album, 2003)

Hate, Dominate, Congregate, Eliminate (2003)

Armageddon March Eternal - Symphonies of Slit Wrists (2005)
(this is one of my favorite albums, groups etc, the whole sound on this album, imo, is incredible and i HIGHLY recommend it)

In Hora Mortis Nostræ (2007)

evil_smiley.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #1,917 of 2,645
3.jpg

Quote:

Leaving the Gathering

Dear people,

I wanted to send out this message to all of you to inform you that I have decided to leave The Gathering. After much consideration and some serious soul searching, I feel that it is time for me to change my direction in life and develop and search out new goals.

In all the wonderful years that I have been a part of The Gathering, we, as a band, have always strongly believed in sincerity: both personally and within our music. I have always been able to give one hundred percent of myself to the band and its music. Over the last year I developed an urge to initiate my activities from a different place in my heart, focusing on myself and my family.

In order to stay true to myself, the band, crew and the fans, I see no other option than to leave the band and pursue my new goals in life and music.

I loved my 13 years with The Gathering and I take pride in all the beautiful music we have made together and will always cherish the good times we shared on the road and in the studio. The decision to leave all of this behind has been incredibly difficult, but since it's made from the heart, I strongly believe that I have to go with it. Although it saddens me to say goodbye, I have made a lot of exciting plans for the future both personally and professionally.

Thank you for all the love and support and I hope we will meet again in life and music.

Anneke

Just when I thought they had a chance at becoming something... =/

Jun 10, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #1,919 of 2,645
This sucks. First Martin Lopez from Opeth, Arcturus, then Peter Lindgren Opeth, now Anneke from The Gathering? What next? Virgin Black become rap artists? This is insane. Oh well, I will still buy what she releases. Don't let us down, Anneke!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back