Darkest Desires Part V
Aug 2, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #1,201 of 2,645
A question on Enslaved - Eld I have acquired a few songs from the album and I quite like the music but the quality of the samples is very poor, almost enough to make me dislike the music (this happened with Opeth - Ghost Reveries, when I first checked it out).

Is the album recording terrible or is it just my samples ?

on another note

I really like Saturnus - Paradise Belongs to You[/i], thankyou for that recommendation Nacher.

also I checked out some Paatos, not dark music really, but great progressive stuff.

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #1,202 of 2,645
No, the recording on Enslaved - Eld is not terrible at all. Of course it's not any audiophile quality either, but good enough. It's worth mentioning that Enslaved never has used overproduced, big or really breathing sound. They always mix their albums to have a very dry, simple and clear sound. The recording is always kept clear and simple, the music however has tons of layers. I don't really like pre-Mardraum era Enslaved that much. It's ok, but nothing really different from the masses of early norwegian viking/pagan/folkmetal acts. Mardraum however is one of the wildest/most experimental dark metal albums since Arctuurs - La Masquerade Infernale.

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #1,203 of 2,645
alright I'll have a look at that one.

On another note

from a Random Google I discovered that VintageVinyl.com has used copies of both Saturnus - Paradise Belongs to You AND Shape of Despair - Angels of Distress for less than $10 usd each o_O, however shipping fees are high ($15 for airmail .... ) so I'm going to see if I can get them to cut it back because I dont want to have to wait aaages for a Surface Mail package ($6).

Aug 3, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #1,204 of 2,645
Managed to cut them down to $10, so Angels of Distress and Paradise Belongs to You are on their way, sweet
smily_headphones1.gif

Also going to make an order from The End Records either soon or later today after I put more money into the bank

Have a bunch of CDs that I might get

Aarni - Bathos
Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Agalloch - The Mantle
Paatos - Timeloss
Paatos - Kallocain
Tenhi - Vare
Tenhi - Maaet
Reverend Bizarre - In The Rectory Of Bizarre Reverend
Hollenthon - With Vilest Of Worms To Dwell

Not sure where to start with bands such as Vintersorg or Nile; was wondering if I should start from Till Fjälls and work my way up from there (and the same with Nile and their debut) ... suggestions are good.

Still a bit indecisive on Enslaved, might listen to them a bit more first.

does anyone have the Therion - Celebrators of Becoming DVD Box Set yet ?

Aug 3, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #1,205 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
Not sure where to start with bands such as Vintersorg or Nile; was wondering if I should start from Till Fjälls and work my way up from there (and the same with Nile and their debut) ... suggestions are good

Till Fjalls and Odemarken's Son are both good. I'd probably go with Till Fjalls first though. However, my favorite song that Ive heard by him is on Odemarken's Son. Its called Manskensman. You really cant go wrong with either one of these cd's now that I think about it.

Aug 3, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #1,206 of 2,645
Quote:

Managed to cut them down to $10, so Angels of Distress and Paradise Belongs to You are on their way, sweet
smily_headphones1.gif

Also going to make an order from The End Records either soon or later today after I put more money into the bank

Have a bunch of CDs that I might get

Aarni - Bathos
Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Agalloch - The Mantle
Paatos - Timeloss
Paatos - Kallocain
Tenhi - Vare
Tenhi - Maaet
Reverend Bizarre - In The Rectory Of Bizarre Reverend

Not sure where to start with bands such as Vintersorg or Nile; was wondering if I should start from Till Fjälls and work my way up from there (and the same with Nile and their debut) ... suggestions are good.

Still a bit indecisive on Enslaved, might listen to them a bit more first.

does anyone have the Therion - Celebrators of Becoming DVD Box Set yet ?

For Enslaved you should get newer albums like Ruun, Isa, Below the Lights etc. These are more progressive and avante, first few albums are more classic pagan/viking metal which I really like but may not be original enough for you......Enslaved albums Frost and Eld are classic viking/pagan metal for sure!

Agalloch will be your style..........I will order new album tomorrow

Nile is very hard/brutal death metal, are you sure that is what you seek?

Vintersorg first few (and best albums) CDs are classic viking metal similar to Falkenbach, Thyrfing etc.
-odemarkens son
-cosmic genesis
-till fjalls
Recent albums more experimental but not as well liked by most.

Aug 3, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #1,207 of 2,645
I was able to test out the new Agalloch cd. I really liked it. Its more in the style of Pale Folklore than the Mantle but is still very much a progression of their sound. Even though I listened to some average bitrate mp3's, it was still very obvious that the production is much better than their other cd's. I'm definitely going to be getting a legit copy.

Aug 3, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #1,208 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
For Enslaved you should get newer albums like Ruun, Isa, Below the Lights etc. These are more progressive and avante, first few albums are more classic pagan/viking metal which I really like but may not be original enough for you......Enslaved albums Frost and Eld are classic viking/pagan metal for sure!

I have some samples from Frost, it sounds pretty good; but not something I'd pick up straight away

Quote:

Nile is very hard/brutal death metal, are you sure that is what you seek?

Sure is!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #1,209 of 2,645
More recent Enslaved releases are totally different from Frost. New Enslaved albums are like "thinking man's Opeth".

Do not start Nile with their earliest albums. Those are just your basic muddy deathmetal albums. Start with Annihilation of the Wicked or Their Darkened Shrines. Those albums have a real dark metal vibe to them.

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #1,211 of 2,645
Quote:

Annihilation of the Wicked was the samples I heard, really awesome sound.

Wow, I would have never guessed you were into that. I sampled that album, good stuff, but muuch too brutal for me vocals-wise. Not really my thing.

Saturnus - Paradise Belongs To You: Great album! I liked it, but the vocals got a little annoying in a few places. It sounded like the guy was going to hurl. They really like their birds though, LOL
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #1,212 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
Start with Annihilation of the Wicked or Their Darkened Shrines. Those albums have a real dark metal vibe to them.

I would second the Annihilation of the Wicked recommendation. I have checked it out and it is high quality.

Aug 4, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #1,213 of 2,645
Just ordered Therion - Celebrators of Becoming 6 DVD Ltd Edition Box Set from MovieMars for a total of $40.57 (inc shipping) which isn't bad for a 6 DVD box set; price to buy in Aus is ~$100AUD.

Should enjoy this.

that takes a chunk out of my money for The End Records order, which I'll figure out in the next few hrs.

Aug 4, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #1,214 of 2,645
Which Tenhi should I get first ? Kauan, Vare or Maaaet ?

this is my list at the moment

Vintersorg - Tjill Falls
Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Reverend Bizarre - In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend
Paatos - Timeloss
Aarni - Bathos

and from Sonic Cathedral

Agalloch - The Mantle
Aghora - Aghora

Aug 4, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #1,215 of 2,645
I had heard a rumor at one time that there was an instramental version of Cradle of Filth's Midian cd out. Has anyone heard of this? I've searched for the last 2 years and haven't found anything on it.

I checked at the Virgin Black stuff, nice. I need to find more symphonic and progressive metal but not big on operatic vocals. Any suggestions?

also heard that Glenn Danzig has finally got off his ass and will be releasing Black Aria II on Sept. 19th followed closely with a two-CD set of previously unreleased DANZIG tracks spaning the band's entire career — from the 1988 self-titled debut to the present in November.

BLACK%20ARIA2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back