Darkest Desires Part V
Jul 19, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #1,156 of 2,645
Wow, you guys are going to make Shaftedtwice, captainzoli, and anyone else lurking very poor paupers. I can see it now:

Welcome to Darkest-Fi: Sorry About Your Wallet
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hey,Enverxis, you will love If_then_else!! Also, if you do not have Souvenirs, get it as well, as it is even better than If_then_else, IMO. I still have to get Home on CD.

Well, to add to the fire (Ha!!!), I have a small list of bands that I have been into over the past year or so along the lines of this genre. This will hopefully underscore some of the already said suggestions by these metal nuts earlier.

Opeth
Virgin Black
The Gathering
Arcturus
Elegeion
Dark Tranquility (not a real fan of the earlier stuff, but hey, I have changed my mind before)
Dark Suns
Swallow the Sun

I guess I have got to start making a list of the bands I want to try soon. So far I have got:
Maudlin of the Well
Moonlight
UneXpect
Madder Mortem

Jul 19, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #1,157 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Wow, you guys are going to make Shaftedtwice, captainzoli, and anyone else lurking very poor paupers. I can see it now:

Welcome to Darkest-Fi: Sorry About Your Wallet
very_evil_smiley.gif

My wallet may suffer, but I'm still glad I ran across these threads, and took the time to review them all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #1,158 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by captainzoli
My wallet may suffer, but I'm still glad I ran across these threads, and took the time to review them all.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am as well. I found countless albums that I would otherwise not hear if it weren't for these Darkest Desires threads.

Jul 19, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #1,159 of 2,645
Quote:

I guess I have got to start making a list of the bands I want to try soon. So far I have got:
Maudlin of the Well
Moonlight
UneXpect
Madder Mortem

You'll want to try Atrox as well
biggrin.gif
Be ready for some "insane" female vocals!

http://www.myspace.com/atroxno They recently created a myspace profile, unfortuantely their fantastic female singer/lyricist left the band early this year
frown.gif

listen to the track "Sultry Air"
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #1,160 of 2,645
Quote:

I am as well. I found countless albums that I would otherwise not hear if it weren't for these Darkest Desires threads.

True but I've noticed an increase in metal and extreme metal threads outside DD in the general music forum, and the number of members with a good knowledge of the genres is more out there than in here. They don't bother with DD and when you think about it do you want to meet up with some other dudes at a place called darkest desires? Yikes!!!
redface.gif
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

It is awfully cheese-ball super flamingly lame.
"Abandon ship!"
tongue.gif

The captain & shafted should also make metal queries in the general music forum for maximum input.

Jul 19, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #1,161 of 2,645
I wonder how many lurkers this thread has though.

on another note

Sonic Catheral organising USA Licensing Deal with Dylath-Leen, so in a few months, Insecure will be availible for $14, instead of $20

Really ecstatic about that CD, best 3 finds in last few months definantly the three death metal CDs

Dylath-Leen - Insecure
Distorted - Memorial
Augury - Concealed

Jul 20, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #1,162 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis

You mean like people who look in the window as they walk past a store? Are they important?

I guess another DD post of "I just ordered CDs 1 2 & 3", isn't enough to get passersby to be interested.
Not much thought provocation to be found here.

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #1,163 of 2,645
Quote:

There are many......just look at the ratio of views/posts = 35/1

Many years before groups like Opeth, Dark Tranquility etc became known enough to be discussed in other posts at Head-Fi they were discussed in great detail here.

I would discuss more in detail, but I have already done all my "buying" of dark metal CDs over many years of DD........therefore we need new blood to keep the discussions alive as they discover these groups and buy them for the first time like I once did.

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #1,164 of 2,645
LOL, eyeteeth, the name is a little goofy, but this is the series of threads where anyone who is serious about finding good metal will find what they are looking for. This thread is one of the main reasons why I still come here. All of the talk about spending gobs of money to hear 1% better music is insane. I would rather sink my money into CD's.

My money is that there are many lurkers, but they are too busy trying to keep up with us nuts to really have much to add
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #1,165 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Does band have any type of stage show or visuals.......or basically just stand and deliver?

Any metal chix show up?
k1000smile.gif

If the Lamentations DVD is any indication. Stand and deliver.

Jul 20, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #1,166 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
True but I've noticed an increase in metal and extreme metal threads outside DD in the general music forum, and the number of members with a good knowledge of the genres is more out there than in here. They don't bother with DD and when you think about it do you want to meet up with some other dudes at a place called darkest desires? Yikes!!!
redface.gif
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

It is awfully cheese-ball super flamingly lame.
"Abandon ship!"
tongue.gif

The captain & shafted should also make metal queries in the general music forum for maximum input.

I don't think I've ever posted in this DD thread (or any of the others), but I do look through it on occasion just to jot down some new band names for research at a later point. I don't do this on anywhere near a consistent basis though, because the types of metal I'm really interested in pursuing don't seem to be a very common mention in DD threads. If there was common talk about bands like Arsis, Behold... the Arctopus, Theory in Practice, Frantic Bleep, Coprofago, Cynic, Meshuggah, Peccatum, Spastic Ink, and other such things, I'd be all over this thread. Even previously mentioned bands like Atrox, Madder Mortem, maudlin of the Well, and Ram-Zet (all of which I really love) sort of get pushed aside in favor of the "darker" and more consistently "extreme" bands.

While I have heard my fair share (and own a fair share) of classic death and doom.. Bathory, Burzum, Emperor, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Candlemass, and the rest.. it just isn't the sort of metal that can hold my attention for an extended period of time. They aren't too extreme or too dark, they're just too static. Unfortunately, these are the types of bands that I tend to come across while reading a DD thread.. so nowadays I tend to just skip over it when browsing the music forum.

On the flipside, DD threads just don't seem to die.. that's a good thing. The odd metal thread that pops up on this forum about a specific band will, at best, get a few replies and then drop off the face of the earth. More often, it won't get any replies at all. The exceptions to this are, of course, bands that are well known and/or have a degree of drama surrounding them. Start a thread about Dream Theater or Opeth and you're bound to get a good discussion going. Start a thread about some great avant- or otherwise unorthodox metal band you just discovered, and it will fall by the wayside in a matter of hours.

I appreciate the existence of a thread like this, even if I don't make use of it all that much.

Jul 20, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #1,167 of 2,645
I went back and read the other threads not so long ago, and pretty much any metal can/has be discussed here; I just think the regular posters are more into the darker stuff themselves, which is usually why I leave the odd Power Metal releases I get off my lists.

DA is right though we do need more "fresh blood", perhaps we should start a 6th thread and encourage newbies to post
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #1,168 of 2,645
Quote:

LOL, eyeteeth, the name is a little goofy, but this is the series of threads where anyone who is serious about finding good metal will find what they are looking for. This thread is one of the main reasons why I still come here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
I don't think I've ever posted in this DD thread (or any of the others), but I do look through it on occasion just to jot down some new band names for research at a later point. I don't do this on anywhere near a consistent basis though, because the types of metal I'm really interested in pursuing don't seem to be a very common mention in DD threads. If there was common talk about bands like Arsis, Behold... the Arctopus, Theory in Practice, Frantic Bleep, Coprofago, Cynic, Meshuggah, Peccatum, Spastic Ink, and other such things, I'd be all over this thread. Even previously mentioned bands like Atrox, Madder Mortem, maudlin of the Well, and Ram-Zet (all of which I really love) sort of get pushed aside in favor of the "darker" and more consistently "extreme" bands.

While I have heard my fair share (and own a fair share) of classic death and doom.. Bathory, Burzum, Emperor, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Candlemass, and the rest.. it just isn't the sort of metal that can hold my attention for an extended period of time. They aren't too extreme or too dark, they're just too static. Unfortunately, these are the types of bands that I tend to come across while reading a DD thread.. so nowadays I tend to just skip over it when browsing the music forum.

On the flipside, DD threads just don't seem to die.. that's a good thing. The odd metal thread that pops up on this forum about a specific band will, at best, get a few replies and then drop off the face of the earth. More often, it won't get any replies at all. The exceptions to this are, of course, bands that are well known and/or have a degree of drama surrounding them. Start a thread about Dream Theater or Opeth and you're bound to get a good discussion going. Start a thread about some great avant- or otherwise unorthodox metal band you just discovered, and it will fall by the wayside in a matter of hours.

I appreciate the existence of a thread like this, even if I don't make use of it all that much.

Quote:

I went back and read the other threads not so long ago, and pretty much any metal can/has be discussed here; I just think the regular posters are more into the darker stuff themselves, which is usually why I leave the odd Power Metal releases I get off my lists.

DA is right though we do need more "fresh blood", perhaps we should start a 6th thread and encourage newbies to post
wink.gif

You guys all make really good points.

So a relaunch? A better title that would bring in more people? What title?

On an unrelated note (?) I'm going to put together a CD sampler of black metal singles as it is always the case that there will be one or two tracks off an album that rock my world. I've made these before for my own convenience but now I'm curious about which songs any of you consider THE ONE. So to start me off, which one song by the following groups do you think sums them up well- Bathory, Burzum, Darkthrone, Emperor, Mayhem. If they flow well maybe I'll offer it out to beginners for the shipping cost.

Can't pick just one? Remember, you are suspended over a pit of spikes. If you can name one song, the hoist gets swung over the open roof of a harem.
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #1,169 of 2,645
I'll have more to post about when the new cd order gets here, hopefully today. After that order, I'm looking forward to the release of the new Slayer cd. The new song is pretty decent, and although their recent cds haven't been spectacular, they have been solid metal albums. Seems like Slayer can always be counted on for a solid metal album. Not only that, but I did really like "God Hates Us All". Probably my favorite since "Seasons".

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #1,170 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
You guys all make really good points.

So a relaunch? A better title that would bring in more people? What title?

On an unrelated note (?) I'm going to put together a CD sampler of black metal singles as it is always the case that there will be one or two tracks off an album that rock my world. I've made these before for my own convenience but now I'm curious about which songs any of you consider THE ONE. So to start me off, which one song by the following groups do you think sums them up well- Bathory, Burzum, Darkthrone, Emperor, Mayhem. If they flow well maybe I'll offer it out to beginners for the shipping cost.

Can't pick just one? Remember, you are suspended over a pit of spikes. If you can name one song, the hoist gets swung over the open roof of a harem.
wink.gif

By Burzum, use Dunkelheit off of Filosofem. Raw, black, awesome lyrics, great beat, catchy, creepy keyboard work. What more can you ask for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back