Darkest Desires Part V
Jul 12, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #1,113 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel102
reinkaos is horrific and a disgrace to the band's name...definitely check out storm of a light's bane.

I didn't think it was bad at all, but I haven't heard any of their other works, so I have nothing to compare them to. Is it that you think the CD is that bad, or is it just that you don't like the style/change in musical direction/the CD compared to their previous works?

Jul 12, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #1,114 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel102
reinkaos is horrific and a disgrace to the band's name...definitely check out storm of a light's bane.

Never heard it.

Am I mistaken to notice that when an extreme metal band misses the mark it's often more spectacularly bad than failures by bands of other genres? The very best bands decline inevitably of course but their descent is more gradual. Or am I imagining this?

I got my box set yesterday and that was a shock as TheEnd was always so very slow that I'd stopped ordering from them. 6 days including a weekend and it's here, and that was with the cheapest shipping $2....wow.

Opened today and I see why it's faster.

newlocation.jpg

You call this a box set?!

boxset.jpg

I call it a slipcover with three CDs inside.
600smile.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #1,115 of 2,645
Is there much difference between Negura Bunget 1, 2 and 3? Thinking that 3 may have a more developed band on it I started with that. Am I too impatient and too unyielding or am I correct when I have to smile with a sympathetic pity at some guys who try very hard. They have an academic knowledge and focused personal taste (you know what they want to sound like) but not much musical talent. In song after song there will be a glimmer of hope in a small section being OK in a very simple way but rather than use it as something to build from into something meaningful, they move on to something lesser and become uninteresting. The specific failings were printed large for me as I was listening. Not sure if it's worthwhile to listen again and copy out the reasons of why this isn't very good. They did make me smile and laugh once so I guess they'll get more playtime.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #1,116 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
I call it a slipcover with three CDs inside.
600smile.gif

Yea, that about covers what it is, but really, at the price it is hard to complain too much.

As for sound, I have listened through the three cds several times over the past couple of days, and overall, I like them. The quality of the mix seems to vary widely, even within a CD, so that is sometimes strange (the drums in particular), but I think mainly what keeps these CDs from being really good has more to do with the quality of the recording than the quality of the band. I am happy with my purchase, and these three will stay in my rotation for a while, at least. As for the other two cds:

Dimmu Borgir - Stormblast MMV: I like the sound of this CD. Of course, I haven't heard the original so I can't compare and contrast the two. Also, I enjoyed the atmosphere of the CD, although sometimes the music almost seemed like power metal (not the vocals, obviously). I guess I expected it to be more agressive from a musical standpoint. Either way, I really like it and it will stay in rotation for a while.

Marduk - World Funeral: I really like the music on this cd, but the lyrics are very juvenile. Written by an angry teenager who failed freshman remedial creative writing juvenile. The music is good enough that I'm willing to over look that though, and keep it in rotation, at least until something better comes along.
smily_headphones1.gif

Will be making another order tomorrow afternoon, although I don't have any idea what I'm going to order yet.

Jul 13, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #1,117 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by captainzoli
Y
Marduk - World Funeral: I really like the music on this cd, but the lyrics are very juvenile. Written by an angry teenager who failed freshman remedial creative writing juvenile. The music is good enough that I'm willing to over look that though, and keep it in rotation, at least until something better comes along.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nothing much to add to what you wrote (as I do not own the album), except that I found your description of the lyrics amusing.

Edit:

Purchased Wyrd-Rota and Drudkh- Blood in Our Wells yesterday, ought to be fun:I hope.

Jul 13, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #1,118 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by captainzoli
Yea, that about covers what it is, but really, at the price it is hard to complain too much..

$9 each is OK.

Quote:

As for sound, I have listened through the three cds several times over the past couple of days, and overall, I like them. The quality of the mix seems to vary widely, even within a CD, so that is sometimes strange (the drums in particular), but I think mainly what keeps these CDs from being really good has more to do with the quality of the recording than the quality of the band. I am happy with my purchase, and these three will stay in my rotation for a while, at least. As for the other two cds:.

I'll wipe the slate clean and start again, starting with CD1. I'm very willing to get more out of them. The SQ was OK considering the genre. I was stuck with headphones at the time as I wasn't alone. I'll use speakers next which will tell me more about both the SQ and the art.

Quote:

]Marduk - World Funeral: I really like the music on this cd, but the lyrics are very juvenile. Written by an angry teenager who failed freshman remedial creative writing juvenile.

tongue.gif
Is it for show or do they really feel this way? Either way pretty funny stuff.

Quote:

Will be making another order tomorrow afternoon, although I don't have any idea what I'm going to order yet.

I have to order something else just to see if that new high speed delivery was a fluke.
Any recommendations out there?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #1,119 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by diogenes
Nothing much to add to what you wrote (as I do not own the album), except that I found your description of the lyrics amusing.

Edit:

Purchased Wyrd-Rota and Drudkh- Blood in Our Wells yesterday, ought to be fun:I hope.

After I got past the lyrics, I've really enjoyed the cd. It's good for anyone that likes a little death metal with their black metal, and I shouldn't really complain since it was cheap as well.

Jul 14, 2006 at 1:45 PM Post #1,120 of 2,645
latest order has arrived from The End Records

best CDs of the lot for me

Madder Mortem - Desiderata / Moonlight - Audio 136 / Opeth - Deliverance

Not really much to say, all fairly strong discs, although perhaps not the best of either artist's catalogue, besides Madder Mortem which is arguably as good as Deadlands. The Moonlight is alot more experimental than Yaishi and has less heavier parts, the Opeth has some good tracks and is overall a solid disk but a tad repetitive.

Good releases

Opeth - Lamentations - sucks that no songs off pre-Blackwater Park albums could be played due to label rights >_<, good sound, good performance, although shoddy camera.
Elend - Winds Devouring Men - not quite as strong as Sunwar the Dead, applies more intensity in the percussion and atmosphere rather than the strings for most of the CD.

Average Discs
Opeth - Blackwater Park - a handful of good tracks amongst some very bland and boring material, all four previous releases were better.
Funeral - Tristesse/Tragedies - production is horrid on some tracks, fairly average Doom Metal music, not carrying the emotion/despair that an artist like Elegeion, Shape of Despair has.

Jul 14, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #1,121 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
not quite as strong as Sunwar the Dead, lacking the very intense and dynamic parts that Sunwar the Dead presents.

Can you elaborate on this please Enverxis. Thanks.

"intense and dynamic parts that Sunwar the Dead presents"

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #1,122 of 2,645
I actually made a mistake and put Elend - Winds Devouring Men in the average category, I meant to place it in the good category hahah.

Not the best wording on my behalf, what I probably should have said was that Sunwar the Dead has some very intense and dynamic parts such as the beginning of Ardour and the heavy string parts, Winds Devouring Men is more atmospherically heavy and the percussion parts are probably the most heavy / intense, with exception of the few string/gong/bell parts during "Vision is all that Matters".

I prefer Sunwar the Dead at the moment, would probably score them 4/5 stars with slight preference towards Sunwar the Dead, but that may change.

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #1,123 of 2,645
I have hard time picking a favourite from Winds Devouring Men vs Sunwar The Dead. Both are total 5/5 for me, but even though they appear to be quite similar, their atmospheres are completely different. While Sunwar The Dead is aggressive, intense and scary, Winds Devouring Men is more emotional, dark and sad. Sunwar The Dead could be about psychedelia, chaos and fear, Winds Devouring Men about sorrow, grief and depression. WDM is definelty the "more beautiful" of the two.

Edit : The closer track of WDM has been mentioned several times in the "saddest song ever written" thread, and for a good reason. That track is seriously something to slit your wrists with.

Jul 14, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #1,124 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis

(snip)... not carrying the emotion/despair that an artist like Elegeion... has.

I suppose another spin of the disk(s) might be in order.
From what I recall they did not move me one bit.

Jul 14, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #1,125 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
I have hard time picking a favourite from Winds Devouring Men vs Sunwar The Dead. Both are total 5/5 for me, but even though they appear to be quite similar, their atmospheres are completely different. While Sunwar The Dead is aggressive, intense and scary, Winds Devouring Men is more emotional, dark and sad. Sunwar The Dead could be about psychedelia, chaos and fear, Winds Devouring Men about sorrow, grief and depression. WDM is definelty the "more beautiful" of the two.

Edit : The closer track of WDM has been mentioned several times in the "saddest song ever written" thread, and for a good reason. That track is seriously something to slit your wrists with.

Yes, WDM brings to mind oppressiveness like no other disk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back