Darkest desires part 2
Jun 6, 2003 at 8:01 AM Post #841 of 1,066
ok, I will
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2003 at 12:32 PM Post #842 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Silent Enigma is more "transitional" period Anathema, neither old school, nor new school. Just try like one track.

You are correct that it is transitional........from two albums which I like better vs "enigma" which is one of my least favorite ANATHEMA albums.

Previous album Pentecost III/Crestfallen is the one that really sounds like MDB along with "enigma to a lesser extent, the "crestfallen" material is not that great but the "pentecost" tracks are really good especially:
-kingdom
-drown
-we the gods
-pentecost III

Following album "eternity" begins the refined mainstream period of Anathema which would be followed for several more albums.

For me "enigma" has always been a borderline sell CD, but I still have it for now. I keep it around in case I come to a new understanding for it, same as I do for AGOLLOCH - Mantle CD.

Jun 6, 2003 at 8:51 PM Post #843 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Previous album Pentecost III/Crestfallen is the one that really sounds like MDB ...

Oh, really? The earlier stuff sounds even more like MDB? (bumps them up to top of wishlist)

Jun 6, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #844 of 1,066
Quote:

For me "enigma" has always been a borderline sell CD, but I still have it for now. I keep it around in case I come to a new understanding for it, same as I do for AGOLLOCH - Mantle CD.

I LOVE Agolloch - The Mantle, however you get that it's really one long song right? Even though it's split into different tracks, just just one song. To fully grasp the brilliance of this album one must listen to it from beginning to end. However, I know that you have to be in the right mindset in order to be willing to do this.

Jun 7, 2003 at 12:27 PM Post #845 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
I LOVE Agolloch - The Mantle, however you get that it's really one long song right? Even though it's split into different tracks, just just one song. To fully grasp the brilliance of this album one must listen to it from beginning to end. However, I know that you have to be in the right mindset in order to be willing to do this.

KR, you are probably right, every metal forum I attend is universal
in its praise for "mantle", I really like 1st album "pale folklore" much better but will keep Mantle around in case I change my mind later.........which has happened before.

ARCTURUS - masquerade infernal
This is easliy the strangest most diverse Arcturus album, even more so vs Sham Mirrors........also very hard to get which is why I snapped it up immediately when The End restocked it.

Has very melancholy overall tone, kind of like classical ballet Petroushka. Violins abound as well as strange sometimes carnival like synths, a freaky side show, the sounds are sometimes confusing or chaotic but are then magically reeled back in.......like an acid flashback. In short sounds generally like other Arcturus or Borknager albums, but pushes the envelope farther.

In summary I really like it even with one listen, but I believe Sham Mirrors is still very slightly its master and Arcturus crowning acheivement to date. You will need open mind for this.

Jun 11, 2003 at 8:21 PM Post #846 of 1,066
KR
Did you see those new digipak DARKTHRONE reissues for "funeral moon" and "transylvanian hunger".......I grabbed both yesterday.

Waiting for my "elf metal" from MORTIIS to arrive, since you & Dusty insist I need them
very_evil_smiley.gif

Since I liked SHAPE OF DESPAIR so much I ordered a PANTHEIST and BETHLEHEM album to try, dam Red Stream was sold out of FUNERAL you like so much

The Darkest Desires thread may soon die since it seems you and I are the only regular posters.......where have all our fledglings gone.

Jun 11, 2003 at 9:48 PM Post #847 of 1,066
I don't know where the heck they are at
confused.gif

I saw those re-issues, but I have the albums already, great stuff!

PANTHEIST is great, you should really like that one. I never heard BETHLEHEM yet, so I better go do that now
wink.gif

You should try some Skepticism, they are like the Doom Metal version of Dead Can Dance, no really
wink.gif
I can see how anyone could be a fan of both.

Oh, there is a new Dead Can Dance Box set out, but it's not cheap
frown.gif

MORTIIS isn't really elf metal, it's just keyboards with female vocals for the album I think you are getting. The new has him singing for the 1st time.

Now this is actual elf metal : http://hem.passagen.se/arckanumweb/head.html

Jun 11, 2003 at 10:13 PM Post #848 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
You should try some Skepticism, they are like the Doom Metal version of Dead Can Dance, no really
wink.gif
I can see how anyone could be a fan of both.

I also tried to get SKEPTICISM "lead & aether" from Red Stream but like FUNERAL it was also sold out
frown.gif

Jun 12, 2003 at 4:40 PM Post #850 of 1,066
Been a while since I posted in the thread...

Just thought I would let DA know about the band Sear Bliss, really good mid-tempo black metal, symphonic but not cheesy. Their sound is along the lines of nokturnal mortum/stormblast era Dimmu/Gehenna.

I can vouche for the The Pagan Winter MCD, and Phantoms being excellent albums. Redstream has them both in stock.

Jun 12, 2003 at 5:30 PM Post #851 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by BaronJack
Just thought I would let DA know about the band Sear Bliss, really good mid-tempo black metal, symphonic but not cheesy. Their sound is along the lines of nokturnal mortum/stormblast era Dimmu/Gehenna.

I can vouche for the The Pagan Winter MCD, and Phantoms being excellent albums. Redstream has them both in stock.

I always like symphonic black metal, this group has a brass section? May have to check some samples first before I pull the trigger.

I really like the LUCIFUGUM albums you recommended last time, and of course 1st two NOKTURNAL MORTUM albums (they are godlike)

BTW you should try some GRAVELAND if you don't have yet, they have all albums at evil music, especially "celtic winter" these will really impress fans of early NM, Summoning etc.

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #852 of 1,066
Quote:

I always like symphonic black metal, this group has a brass section? May have to check some samples first before I pull the trigger.

I really like the LUCIFUGUM albums you recommended last time, and of course 1st two NOKTURNAL MORTUM albums (they are godlike)

BTW you should try some GRAVELAND if you don't have yet, they have all albums at evil music, especially "celtic winter" these will really impress fans of early NM, Summoning etc.

Yep, I really enjoy Graveland. Once I free some funds I'll have to pick up some of their CDs.

I found some samples of Sear Bliss at their website http://www.searbliss.hu , If you're still unsure I would just go with the Pagan Winter MCD. To me the last bonus song on the album In The Shadow Of Another World is worth the price of the CD alone.

Jun 13, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #853 of 1,066
I know that at least two of you will want to read this, so here you go!

thomtepe.jpg

Thomas Köner- Teimo / Permafrost (1997)

Most people who would say they know anything about ambient music, would obviously mention names such as Robert Rich and B. Lustmord. Thomas Köner is one of the lesser known names, creating a unique blend of unstructured, very deep ambient music.
Köner's early works were made up of gongs placed very close to a microphone, with insanely heavy effects added to pull out the pure intense droning unleashed within them. The sounds are uniquely deep and rich, and filled with a strange organic texture. I've heard it described as 'a huge submarine scraping along the ocean floor'.
The material on this DCD includes the 1990 release of Teimo, and the absolutelly stunning Permafrost from 1993. A great set of speakers or a massive subwoofer can really unleash the deep tones unleashed in this work.
Unlike modern day ambient fiends such as Nordvargr on his 'Sleep Therapy' box, Köner sticks to a minimal canvas and slowly paints the trembling ambience across it, no harsh eruptions or distant flutes. A great release for true sleep therapy for the passive listener, and a deep cathartic chanelling opportunity for active listeners of pure ambient music.

Track Listing:
1. Ilira
2. Andenes
3. Teimo
4. Nieve Penitentes 1
5. Nieve Penitentes 2
6. Nieve Penitentes 3
7. Teimo(Schluss)
8. Ruska
9. Nival
10. Serac
11. Firn
12. Permafrost
13. Meta Incognita
14. ...

http://www.gnosiszine.com/

Jun 13, 2003 at 8:59 AM Post #854 of 1,066
Yes, I am still reading this thread. Just because I go through phases, doesn't mean that I've abandoned dark metal.

I'm just going through an ear-candy-metal phase right now. Ever heard of H.I.M. (His Infernal Majesty)? Sounds kinda like Charon, Tea Party, and a lot of the ear-candy releases that bands like Sentenced and Darkane have come out with this year. Highly recommended.

And thanks for throwing me that Thomas Köner bone, there, KR.

Jun 13, 2003 at 12:37 PM Post #855 of 1,066
Quote:

Thomas Köner- Teimo / Permafrost

KR, that will be too abstract for my simple tastes......

MORTIIS - Crypt of Wizard & Stargate
First of all Crypt is a sell, very simplistic booring arrangements with no vision or creative touches I can discern. This is a collection from his many earlier works, think he needs more practice 5/10

Stargate is much better with more lavish/grand arrangements and an epic style, some female vocals/wails, this is more like it. Still has an ominous sometimes forboding feel which imparts an overall dark undercurrent to sound, I could see where SUMMONING, LIMBONIC ART fans would like this. 8/10

Next up is "smell of rain"

KATATONIA - Viva Emptiness
This for me is best album since the godlike BMD, after drifting aimlessly for a couple albums they return with a more focused powerful effort, a dark style that sometimes reminds me of TOOL or sometimes earlier ANATHEMA. The last Katatonia album I liked was "discoraged ones" but it lacks the diversity of new album, so don't give up on Katatonia.......they are back 8/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back