Darker Grados? Do they exist?
Jan 25, 2006 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

utarch00

500+ Head-Fier
I have been listening to my recently purchased dt990s for the last month and I absolutley love them. I am running them thought an ipod and microamp. The sound is great.

No more to hte point. Before my purchase of the fore mentioned cans, I was borrowing a friends sr125s. They were great cans for the rock, metal , blues, even some electronic music that I listen to. The only things that I wished for were more comfort and a little more bass. I do not want anything thats sounds like two subwwoofers strapped to my ears.

The other thing is that when I was auditioning the sr125s, I was doing it with out the amp. I did not have the amp yet. So maybe trying them out again with the microamp would do the trick.

1. They had the stock bowls( I think). They were OK for short term. I know that I can get different pads. Which brings me to my next point.

2. Do any of the other Grado models fit in with having the same overall sound as the sr125 with a little moe bass. Or can and will changing out pads and any other mods do the trick, like recabble or headfiling them etc.

I know that an amp can change the sound somewhat, but I am satisfied with the microamp for the momment.

Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Jan 25, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by utarch00
I have been listening to my recently purchased dt990s for the last month and I absolutley love them. I am running them thought an ipod and microamp. The sound is great.

No more to hte point. Before my purchase of the fore mentioned cans, I was borrowing a friends sr125s. They were great cans for the rock, metal , blues, even some electronic music that I listen to. The only things that I wished for were more comfort and a little more bass. I do not want anything thats sounds like two subwwoofers strapped to my ears.

The other thing is that when I was auditioning the sr125s, I was doing it with out the amp. I did not have the amp yet. So maybe trying them out again with the microamp would do the trick.

1. They had the stock bowls( I think). They were OK for short term. I know that I can get different pads. Which brings me to my next point.

2. Do any of the other Grado models fit in with having the same overall sound as the sr125 with a little moe bass. Or can and will changing out pads and any other mods do the trick, like recabble or headfiling them etc.

I know that an amp can change the sound somewhat, but I am satisfied with the microamp for the momment.

Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

The SR125 is actually one of the more "Grate-o" cans out there. The HF-1 would probably serve you best in your price range if you can find one, but if you can't, the SR225 with flat pads will give you more bass, and will be darker than the SR325i, which has even more bass but at the same time is brighter thant the SR225.

Jan 25, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
The SR125 is actually one of the more "Grate-o" cans out there. The HF-1 would probably serve you best in your price range if you can find one, but if you can't, the SR225 with flat pads will give you more bass, and will be darker than the SR325i, which has even more bass but at the same time is brighter thant the SR225.

Indeed. 225's w/ flat pads should put you where you want to be.

Jan 25, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 22
My personal reccomendation: if you want to SLAMMING bass... bass that hits nice without being muddy, grab some SR325i's and tweak them with flats.
basshead.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 22
MS1 with those flat pads are the most tame Grados I have heard... certainly more mild than the 125.

Second vote for the HF1.

Jan 25, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
My personal reccomendation: if you want to SLAMMING bass... bass that hits nice without being muddy, grab some SR325i's and tweak them with flats.
basshead.gif

I found this combo to be a great recipe for tinitus.

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

third vote for the hf1. not including the alessandro line, they're the least grato of the grado line i've heard.

Would any of the alessandro line work in the situation?

kramer5150 already suggested the ms1 with flat pads.

What about the ms2 or ms2i? How do they compare to the 325 0r 325i?

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 22
I'm actually thinking of upgrading my SR225, to either an MS-2i, or SR325i! I would like to get a bit more detail in the upper frequency range, as my Slam seems to tame the SR225's highs a bit to much!
icon10.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turner_Brown
I found this combo to be a great recipe for tinitus.

All ears are different, hence varying opinions about headphone sound signature. I don't have a single problem with my 325i's... I find them less harsh than 225's.

Feb 7, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #14 of 22
I bought some 225s to hold me off until I can try to get my hands on HF-1s that are not outragously priced. They will be here in the next couple of days, I can not wait.

Feb 7, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #15 of 22
tamest grado I have heard is the RS-1, compared to the SR-80, HF-1, and 325i. IF anything the HF-1 and RS-1 were really really close

Users who are viewing this thread

Back