Dark vs. Bright
Dec 24, 2005 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

NaOH

100+ Head-Fier
When one says that a can is "bright", I know that that's equivalent (in layman-speak) to an emphasis on highs.

What I'd like to know is thus: is this an emphasis on highs at the expense of lows?

I think my plan will be to pick up a pair of SR80's after the New Year (I'll have money later) and see if the Grado sound is really for me. I just want to make sure that I'll at the very least not be losing out entirely on the lows.

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #3 of 30
Does anyone know, specifically to the Grado line of headphones, or at least the SR80, whether this applies, then?

I'm not a basshead, by any means. I just don't want tinny headphones.

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by NaOH
Does anyone know, specifically to the Grado line of headphones, or at least the SR80, whether this applies, then?

I'm not a basshead, by any means. I just don't want tinny headphones.

Grados won't be tinny. They have the infamous bass slam (nice quantity).

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit

Perfect.

You're my hero.

The next question, possibly, is whether it's worth my time to find them used, or just buy them new? I've got a dealer in mind who lists them for $159CDN ($136USD).

Is this a good price? Grado seems to have put the kaibosh on anyone but listed Grado dealers selling to us Canajians.

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit

I wouldn't say infamous; some of us quite enjoy the tight, detailed bass that Grados are known for.

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 30
Detail sounds promising as well. As I said, I'm not a basshead, and in the end I'm, as we all are I'm sure, looking for accurate replay of my music.

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:59 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

When one says that a can is "bright", I know that that's equivalent (in layman-speak) to an emphasis on highs.

This "audiophile terminology" is all pretty loose. Bright could also mean lacking in bass, in some cases. Dark can mean subdued or rolled off high frequencies, emphasizing bass/mids more.... depends who is uttering the word. I wouldn't take any of these terms to be set in stone as far as meaning one thing or another.

Dec 24, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Perfect.

You're my hero.

The next question, possibly, is whether it's worth my time to find them used, or just buy them new? I've got a dealer in mind who lists them for $159CDN ($136USD).

Is this a good price? Grado seems to have put the kaibosh on anyone but listed Grado dealers selling to us Canajians.

For that price I would get the MS1 for 99 USD shipped anywhere around the world and is better than the sr80. Oh the ms1s wont even be bright cause they come with comfies.
You can buy other pads to experiment later but right off the bat, the ms1s are better

Dec 24, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
For that price I would get the MS1 for 99 USD shipped anywhere around the world and is better than the sr80. Oh the ms1s wont even be bright cause they come with comfies.
You can buy other pads to experiment later but right off the bat, the ms1s are better

What makes the MS1's better? I hear they're more neutral, but what that means to me is almost nothing.

I'm a metal afficionado, by the by. Death metal.

evil_smiley.gif

Dec 24, 2005 at 7:13 AM Post #11 of 30
The SR-80 has a good amount of bass to me. Not copious, but certainly agile and capable of serious slams when the music demands it. Some people have called the SR-80 thin-sounding, but that is certainly not the case with mine, unamped and/or amped. Pad-wise, reversed bowls work the best for me as they retain the wonderful clarity of the bowls while reducing the inherently piercing highs - a most important thing- and increasing the bass some.

As to buying new against used, it's up to the individual. Buying used saves money and burn-in time, but you run the risk of receiving phones in less than optimal conditions. That said, I've bought used from a few members here as well as Ebay. So far the phones I received have been in mint condition (confirming the seller's claims that the 'phones are in mint condition').

Regards.

Dec 24, 2005 at 7:21 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
This "audiophile terminology" is all pretty loose. Bright could also mean lacking in bass, in some cases. Dark can mean subdued or rolled off high frequencies, emphasizing bass/mids more.... depends who is uttering the word. I wouldn't take any of these terms to be set in stone as far as meaning one thing or another.

Indeed. My favorite example is the Shure E4C, which is commonly described as being "bright," yet has rolled off treble...

Dec 24, 2005 at 7:29 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by dulath
I wouldn't say infamous; some of us quite enjoy the tight, detailed bass that Grados are known for.

I agree. If the Grado bass just sounds a wad of mess usually the source and the amp driving it are to blame.

Dec 24, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #14 of 30
So is the MS-1 a good choice?

Or is it waffling? I mean, I should just get some Grados, and see if I like the Grado sound, instead of doing it half-assed and getting the Alessandro sound instead.

Right?

Dec 24, 2005 at 7:34 AM Post #15 of 30
the lower end grados have less bass quantity, as you move up the models, you generally get more bass quantity and quality. all of them have a slightly exegerrated upper mids and highs. this increases as you move up the models as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back