jenkinsontherun

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am looking for a headphone that:

has inoffensive treble
is dynamic
third, but not crucial, not too colored
not too heavy physically

Any suggestions? My kph30i's fit the bill, but lack the technicalities to call it an all-rounder. HD518's also lack technicality.

Budget ~300USD

Thanks!

edit: dynamic as in the sound signature, not the driver type.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 19
Hi all,

I am looking for a headphone that:

has inoffensive treble
is dynamic
third, but not crucial, not too colored
not too heavy physically

Any suggestions? My kph30i's fit the bill, but lack the technicalities to call it an all-rounder. HD518's also lack technicality.

Budget ~300USD

Thanks!

edit: dynamic as in the sound signature, not the driver type.

AudioQuest NightOwls fit this bill. Can be had for around $300, fairly light and comfortable (not Koss PortaPro light, but fairly light), and certainly a dark sound signature (but not lacking in dynamism).

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 19
Nighthawks or nightowls would be my first ones to turn. If you don't mind IEMs Audeze iSine series is the next thing I'd suggest.

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #5 of 19
The NightHawks/Owls fit the demands of smooth treble and general dynamicism, but are ridiculously colored though.

As far as dark/dark-leaning headphones, my #1 rec is the Sennheiser 6XX, they tilt dark but don't color the sound nearly as much the AQ sets... Provided decent amplication, they are quite dynamic as well.

Jun 12, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #7 of 19
AudioQuest NightOwls fit this bill. Can be had for around $300, fairly light and comfortable (not Koss PortaPro light, but fairly light), and certainly a dark sound signature (but not lacking in dynamism).
Yes I have owned both the nighthawks and nightowls, and I agree about them being dark, warm, and lush. They sounded great to me. I have gone up the dark spectrum rabbit hole as I have just bought the LCD4 and Empyrean.

Jun 12, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #8 of 19
I'd also suggest the Nightowls or Nighthawks if not being too colored isn't a big deal, because they are both pretty colored. The Nightowls are less colored than the Nighthawks. Another option might be the NAD Viso HP50s, they're much less colored than the Audioquest headphones and have very inoffensive treble, a bit less dynamic and a little less technically capable though.

Jun 12, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #9 of 19
I'd also suggest the Nightowls or Nighthawks if not being too colored isn't a big deal, because they are both pretty colored. The Nightowls are less colored than the Nighthawks. Another option might be the NAD Viso HP50s, they're much less colored than the Audioquest headphones and have very inoffensive treble, a bit less dynamic and a little less technically capable though.
Balanced with power the technical parts come out in the Nighthawks 😉

Jun 12, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #10 of 19
The NightHawks/Owls fit the demands of smooth treble and general dynamicism, but are ridiculously colored though.

As far as dark/dark-leaning headphones, my #1 rec is the Sennheiser 6XX, they tilt dark but don't color the sound nearly as much the AQ sets... Provided decent amplication, they are quite dynamic as well.
Yeah, as far as colored headphones go, the "Night twins" are some of the more conspicuous ones, especially within their respective price brackets.

They sound pretty decent, though. A smooth, dark sound.. with pretty good bass, to boot.

Jun 12, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #11 of 19
Yes they are, but they are colored in the right way for those who like this signature (I do) and for those who are willing to EQ.
The times I tried EQ-ing if found that with bright headphones, with big peaks in the high mids and teble, lowering these frequencies doesn't result in a smoother, less fatiguing sound, you are just trying to mask it, but those peaks are still there and are claiming their attention. While EQ-ing, raising the higher freguency of a pair that has a dip in their high mids and treble in most cases works pretty well, as it does with the NightHawks.
Most people will tell you that you cannot add something that isn't there, well in my experience, with high frequencies it is the exact opposite, you can't really reduce something that is already there.
With the lower frequencies it is easier, but maybe I think it is because I am less sensitive to them....

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #13 of 19
Yes they are, but they are colored in the right way for those who like this signature (I do) and for those who are willing to EQ.
The times I tried EQ-ing if found that with bright headphones, with big peaks in the high mids and teble, lowering these frequencies doesn't result in a smoother, less fatiguing sound, you are just trying to mask it, but those peaks are still there and are claiming their attention. While EQ-ing, raising the higher freguency of a pair that has a dip in their high mids and treble in most cases works pretty well, as it does with the NightHawks.
Most people will tell you that you cannot add something that isn't there, well in my experience, with high frequencies it is the exact opposite, you can't really reduce something that is already there.
With the lower frequencies it is easier, but maybe I think it is because I am less sensitive to them....
I agree with the point about eqing bright headphones. With many pairs that I have tried, it has resulted in a feeling with no other word I can find:stuffy. In addition, such as with the HD700's, it can result in a metallic timbre after eq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back