Dark Souls!
Jan 25, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #46 of 299
Quote:
I also realized that the Eagle Shields stability increases with upgrades. At +1 it doesn't change, so I wrongly assumed it didn't. I think upgrading it for extra stability might help. I can't use any other shields with 85 stability because they're too heavy.

I could have swore that Smough's attacks went through my shield, but maybe not. Maybe it was just his most damaging attack that did. Where he smashes his hammer down.

Eagle Shield got nerfed in the last patch, so is not 100% block damage reduction anymore.

Also, if a hit have more damage that what your stamina can take it when blocking, you will eat some damage too.

A Claymore+15 (or 14) is an awesome weapon. Take in mind though that it needs bot DEX and STR scaling to get its max. potential.
A lot of weapons really shine with dedicated builds.

Luckily I never broke any game or pad, when I get mad I just yield and punch something lol

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #47 of 299
Quote:

Eagle Shield got nerfed in the last patch, so is not 100% block damage reduction anymore.

Also, if a hit have more damage that what your stamina can take it when blocking, you will eat some damage too.

A Claymore+15 (or 14) is an awesome weapon. Take in mind though that it needs bot DEX and STR scaling to get its max. potential.
A lot of weapons really shine with dedicated builds.

Luckily I never broke any game or pad, when I get mad I just yield and punch something lol

I'll have to check through all my shields and pick a good one with the highest stability.

One idea I have is that I kind of went a bit quicker than I should have to reach Anor Londo. Maybe From Software know this and expect me to be leveled up more to make it seem easier. Then again people fight them at SL1!

I know that when I fought them on NG upgrading my Flask from +2 to +4 helped. I also went out of my way to go back and get the Eagle Shield. I think I also upgraded my DK Halberd from +3 to +5 I think. It required me being patient and getting faster with less heavy gear.

I'm sure at some point I'll find them stupid easy and wonder why I ever had problems with them. Those gargoyles took me only 2 tries on NG+ and I didn't use solaire.

I think i'll try hard to make better use of the pillars. Maybe not do a thing until Smough is behind one. I think Smough one-shotted me once with his hammer smash. I'll have to see if maybe I had my shield down when he did that..

Right now I have about 37 STR and 33 DEX. I thought I'd have them at 40/40 by the end of NG, but no such luck. I think I should level up endurance and VIT. Right now the weapon with the highest damage is the Zweihander, but I still prefer DK Halberd+5. Claymore+14 is my second favorite. I'm hoping to eventually get a regular sword that doesn't take me forever to kill something. Silver Knight Sword is the best I have right now that's not a great sword.

I got another copy of Dark Souls now. In my city only 1 place had it. Had to drive a bit out of the way. I didn't really get mad until about my 12th death. It's funny how many games i've beaten on Very hard and hard, but yet Ornstein I have so many problems with...

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #48 of 299
IMO, Endurance should be your first stat to level up, the stamina is your biggest thing, bot attacking and defending. You can stop at 40, because after that the stamina bar doesnt increase.
Vitality doesnt cap, but it start to low at 40 and get really disminishing returns at 50

Also, you probably know, but Resistance is totally worthless, dont waste any point on that.

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #49 of 299
Quote:
IMO, Endurance should be your first stat to level up, the stamina is your biggest thing, bot attacking and defending. You can stop at 40, because after that the stamina bar doesnt increase.
Vitality doesnt cap, but it start to low at 40 and get really disminishing returns at 50

Also, you probably know, but Resistance is totally worthless, dont waste any point on that.

I have Endurance at around 37 I think.
I tried Ornstein again and unfortunately the Queelag's furysword for my build seems to be worthless. First hit was like 50dmg!

I think my main enemy here is the camera. When I get boxed in everything goes downhill. Rolling as much as possible when I'm near Smough seems to be best. For Ornstein, blocking is ok. 

I got lucky and killed Ornstein with my Zweihander+14 in just maybe two rounds but then right after that Super Smough was too close to me and I died.
Don't ask me why I used the Zweihander! It was with less gear though so I could move around fast.

I tried the Gravelord Sword+3 and it does probably the best out of any weapon. Not sure how. Silver Knight Sword+5 is also good. With my big heavy weapons my stamina just goes down way too fast.
This sword is fairly slow still, but seems more like a regular sword.

What really helps me is to constantly make sure I don't run out of Stamina. The Grass Crest shield for faster stamina recovery seems to help.

Oh and the 2nd time I killed Ornstein, we both died at the same exact time..figured.

I think i'll upgrade the gravelord sword to +5 and increase endurace to 40.

Actually I might just say screw it and call Solaire. Ran out of Humanity though.

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #50 of 299
My personal strategy for those guys is constantly doing a backward clockwise retreat around the whole room. That way Smough gets trapped behind some pillars and leaves you opportunities to hurl whatever pyromancy you have at Ornstein, and when you run out sneaking in R2 attacks with my claymore until he dies. I can take care of Smough pretty easily by himself after that.

And Resistance is worthless? Not for PvE (according to the wiki)... it's done a lot for my defense stats. It would bump all of my defense stats by 2 usually when I leveled up. But that increase in my defense stopped doing that after I got it up to like 35 however. But the weird thing about it was that it would only do it if I also gradually leveled up Vitality and Endurance as well. So i did a kind of round robin of leveling up other stats and Resistance.

I still need to max out my vitality to around 50. Working on my Faith right now so I can use the Darkmoon Talisman effectively. I never thought when I started this character he'd be a Faith based build. Or maybe that's just the kind of play I've recently been using during PvP. When I'm doing PvE I tend to be mainly using pyromancy. Ascend your flame to +5 from that gal in the blightown swamp, wear the bellowing dragoncrest ring and you're a god. Having 8 great fireballs and 4 chaos fireballs can dish out a huge amount of damage. And if you wanted to get aggressive cast Power Within before. I still need to learn how to cast pyromancy effectively in PvP as I've heard it can be deadly.

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #51 of 299
I think this game hates me! Got Super Smough down to under 30% and then I die.

I got to Super Smough the first time by using Silver Knight Straight sword+5 and only switching to 2-handed when Ornstein was open. I died many times overdoing it without backing off. 
Silver Knight SS is worthless on Super Smough.

Second time I used my Black Knight Halberd+5 with Eagle Shield and that works much better against Super Smough due to it's range. This Halberd never seems slow to me for some reason.

You know I really hate how I roll away and it always rolls me in the wrong direction. Stupid camera! I've said it before, but I think the camera is my enemy for this fight. It seems if I remove lock on when Smough is too close I do a lot better.

Smoughs hammer smash usually one shots me if my shield is down You know I once even got killed 30 seconds after I entered the fog...

Probably my imagination, but I did a bit better after getting STR capped at 40. I think once I upgrade my flasks I'll be able to beat them. I thought it was at +4, but it's only +3. Yuck!!

VIT and END are at 37. I should have upgraded those instead but they didn't really increase much.

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #52 of 299
That battle's difficulty is definitely a large part due to the camera. The times I get killed by attacks in my blind spots...
I think in the end I was waiting for chances to strike, and simply two-hand Atk2 with the black knight halberd, and roll off. That move is awesome aimed & timed properly, which aim shouldn't be much of an issue considering the size of these bosses.

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #53 of 299
Yeah, camera is an enemy here. You should not constantly lock on on them. I just locked them to allienate myself to them and then undo the lock for movement, this way is easy to evade them.
When you learn to play with the lock on system (do ar undo depending your needs) it gets better.

So bad you dont have Live, that place is usually filled with peple helping and PvPing.

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #54 of 299
Quote:
Yeah, camera is an enemy here. You should not constantly lock on on them. I just locked them to allienate myself to them and then undo the lock for movement, this way is easy to evade them.
When you learn to play with the lock on system (do ar undo depending your needs) it gets better.

So bad you dont have Live, that place is usually filled with peple helping and PvPing.

Yeah for Ornstein I usually try to lock onto him sometimes when he flies across the room at me. When I'm in a corner, the camera being locked can usually lead to death in NG+

I usually keep moving in a clockwise pattern, but maybe I should avoid the outer edges.

Rolling instead of blocking sometimes helps me a lot.

I did buy an Xbox live gold account a few days ago. It's mostly a waste for me since I only play maybe 2 games a year and don't use any Xbox 360 services. $25 for 3 months isn't too bad though. I actually went 75% of the way through Dark Souls with no online access. I think the Crystal Cave would have been twice as easy!

I hate the idea of calling help, but I might do that eventually. Don't you get humanity from helping someone beating bosses? I can't call a NPC until I get more humanity. I don't think I can get any in Anor Londo without leaving.

I still haven't done any PVP things..I need to. Online players are usually 1000x better than me. At least in 1st person shooters.

Oh and to make matters worse..my controllers shield button has been sticking a lot. That doesn't make it even easier. At random my shield would go down. Since i'm rolling a lot more for ornstein, it's not needed as much.

BTW sometimes on the way to Ornstein those silver knights go nuts on me. I swear that sometimes I kill them without a single issue and then the next time one actually kills me. SOMEHOW. Zweihander is very good for them though and so is Black Knight Halberd+5.

I kindled the bonfire near the bosses to save me some time.

I'm sure most people have no issues with these guys, but it's officially the hardest boss (for me) in any game i've encountered. Even worse than the Grim Reaper from Castlevania
normal_smile .gif
I think in NG I would have killed them several times by now..

Have any Dark Souls fans played FFXI? I think there's some stuff in there that is way tougher. Even soloing as Beastmaster in that game was more difficult at lower levels. I was just probably terrible at it. The game is much easier now. In that game you also lose experience if you die. You know... I don't want to imagine what an MMORPG of Dark Souls would be like.

I wasted so much of my life in Final Fantasy Online that I'll never play any more MMORPGs!

Jan 27, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #55 of 299
What level you are? Maybe I could help you with the fight if im in your level range (I think I have a character at lvl 100, others are 120-130).
For helping you get humanity and souls. You need to be in human form for summoning. You can get humanity by killing enemies in the area you are UNTIL you defeated the boss (you didnt, so you are good). You can only summon players around 20% (up and down) of your level.

Oh, I played FFXI a ton, 3 years maybe. On server Ragnarok, PLD 75, NIN 75.

Agree on the last part, I tried FFXIV, but after wasting so much time and (literally) life on FFXI, i cant bring myself to play MMO for more than a couple weeks. I ocasionally play PSO2, because is more light-content and you can play half and hour and make progress.

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #56 of 299
Finally beat them on NG+ last night!
This is how strange this game is..on my first try I was running around and died before taking off any of their HP. Don't ask me how...
Second time I was able to beat them. I feel like I cheated though by using the pillars way too much vs Super Smough, but I don't care.

I used all Elite Knight's Armor +7 or better for speed. I also upgraded my Eagle Shield to +5, but most of the time i'd roll out of the way, but keep it up anyway.

Super Smough took FOREVER. Each hit from my Black Knight Halberd+5 only took off 400 damage. That's with 37 DEX and 40 STR.
Just when I got him down to 5% I almost died.

I think what helped me was upgrading my Eagle Shield and upgrading STR to 40 and DEX by another 4 points.

Previously if you could believe this, even those "easy" Silver Knight's would give me problems at random. Don't ask me how. The best weapon against them seems to be Greataxe +15. It seems to go straight through their shield and armor!

I also finally helped someone against the bosses. Can't believe how stupid easy it was with me as a helper and Solaire. Ornstein went down in seconds and SS in no time. I ended up not even getting hit once. The 75000 souls is nice too!

BTW I've not yet been invaded. I'll have to look up how this PVP thing works, but I haven't done it yet.

Think i'll get my other ember so I can upgrade my weapons past +10 (lost it in NG+). I think the Longsword+15 might be even better than the Silver Knight Sword+5 (it's cap).

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #57 of 299
Quote:
What level you are? Maybe I could help you with the fight if im in your level range (I think I have a character at lvl 100, others are 120-130).
For helping you get humanity and souls. You need to be in human form for summoning. You can get humanity by killing enemies in the area you are UNTIL you defeated the boss (you didnt, so you are good). You can only summon players around 20% (up and down) of your level.

Oh, I played FFXI a ton, 3 years maybe. On server Ragnarok, PLD 75, NIN 75.

Agree on the last part, I tried FFXIV, but after wasting so much time and (literally) life on FFXI, i cant bring myself to play MMO for more than a couple weeks. I ocasionally play PSO2, because is more light-content and you can play half and hour and make progress.

FFXI is much less of a time sink now. People can get to 75 now in a matter of days with "Grounds of Valor". I'm not sure if you've played it since they came up with that. I think one time I went from 36 to 70 in just one night. Too bad it's just against "Easy Prey" mostly.

Abyssea leveling also makes everything stupid easy.

I actually only soloed as Beastmaster due to not having enough time...you can get exp and then logoff at your camp.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #58 of 299
Stupid question, but what weapon would have the highest damage with 40/40 STR/DEX?
I was thinking it might be the Black Knight Greatsword+5 or Zweihander+15.

I finally got one to 597 or so, but DEX isn't capped yet! Black Knight Halberd+5 is now finally feeling much weaker than before!

Right now my most used weapons are the BK Halberd+5 and Claymore+14. I also love the Silver Knight Straight Sword+5, but it's stat bonuses aren't as good.

Jan 27, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #59 of 299
Quote:
Finally beat them on NG+ last night!
This is how strange this game is..on my first try I was running around and died before taking off any of their HP. Don't ask me how...
Second time I was able to beat them. I feel like I cheated though by using the pillars way too much vs Super Smough, but I don't care.

Congrats mate! Did it feel good? :D

Dont feel like cheating. IMO is not cheating, but strategy, the pillars are there for something!

Now that you have GOLD, try to help people defeat boss, not only is damn fun but it will give you a lot of souls to level up. Onrsteind and Smough really isnt that hard in COOP. COOP wise the hardest boss IMO is Four Kings, they have more HP in COOP and also the Kings spawn faster. In NG+ they are easier solo than in COOP IMO, unless your partner really knows what to do.

Quote:
FFXI is much less of a time sink now. People can get to 75 now in a matter of days with "Grounds of Valor". I'm not sure if you've played it since they came up with that. I think one time I went from 36 to 70 in just one night. Too bad it's just against "Easy Prey" mostly

Yeah I heard its a lot easier with Abyssea (I left before it). But I really coultnt bring myself to return. Is not because of leveling up, is the endgame the reason I left. I really killed everything possible except Absolute Virtue before leaving, and it was really a stupid waste of time (3 hours doing NOTHING in Dragon Aery waiting fo ra stupid dragon pop, really? just for seeing some ********* friend of the LS leader getting rich... it was not worth)

Quote:
Stupid question, but what weapon would have the highest damage with 40/40 STR/DEX?

I really dont know. If im not mistaken Zweindhader levels up bot with STR and DEX, so it would be an option. CLaymore does less damage, but is faster (IMO I like Claymore more). Strongest weapon in the game is Artorias Greatsword, but you need a TON od STR level up to make it profitable, so is not worth it unless you go for really high levels (making single player easy anyways and PvP obsolete because no one goes to such high levels).

Jan 27, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #60 of 299
Quote:
Congrats mate! Did it feel good? :D

Dont feel like cheating. IMO is not cheating, but strategy, the pillars are there for something!

Now that you have GOLD, try to help people defeat boss, not only is damn fun but it will give you a lot of souls to level up. Onrsteind and Smough really isnt that hard in COOP. COOP wise the hardest boss IMO is Four Kings, they have more HP in COOP and also the Kings spawn faster. In NG+ they are easier solo than in COOP IMO, unless your partner really knows what to do.

Yeah I heard its a lot easier with Abyssea (I left before it). But I really coultnt bring myself to return. Is not because of leveling up, is the endgame the reason I left. I really killed everything possible except Absolute Virtue before leaving, and it was really a stupid waste of time (3 hours doing NOTHING in Dragon Aery waiting fo ra stupid dragon pop, really? just for seeing some ********* friend of the LS leader getting rich... it was not worth)

I really dont know. If im not mistaken Zweindhader levels up bot with STR and DEX, so it would be an option. CLaymore does less damage, but is faster (IMO I like Claymore more). Strongest weapon in the game is Artorias Greatsword, but you need a TON od STR level up to make it profitable, so is not worth it unless you go for really high levels (making single player easy anyways and PvP obsolete because no one goes to such high levels).

Yeah it felt good to finally beat them. I'm ashamed to say it took me about 20 tries. Oh well. I know I said this before, but it did feel that just leveling up my STR and DEX to near 40 helped a ton. I didn't really do anything else except for leveling up. I used the same exact setup as the first time. I really do think I should have not rushed through NG+. I skipped many areas I played through previously and even skipped the Hydra.

It's funny how easy NG+ was for me up until these two. I mean only 2 tries for Senn's Fortress is good for me. I also got to the end of Anor Londo on the first try too. Got lucky with those archers that knock you off.

I actually don't know why i'm playing through NG+ since I don't feel like going through NG++. Sounds stupid, but I want to try every weapon and level them up. I also missed a ton of optional area.

Oh and i'm SL101 or so now I think. STR is at 40, but VIT/END/DEX are at around 37 or so. Actually dex might be at 35 or so. What's stupid is that I don't even have a slot for pyromancy yet. Yuck. I think I need two more levels for that.

Ok, now off to New Londo Ruins... can't wait to see much tougher the Dark Wraiths are.

BTW I wish they had a Fable game this complex and difficult. I love Fable II, but it's stupid easy. Those wraiths reminded me of the Banshees in the swamp. Fable III was just awful and dumbed down so much.

I do think that one reason people think this game is harder than it really is, is possibly because they don't level up their armor and weapons enough! I used a Londsword+3 for about the longest time. Got lazy.

For some reason all elemental (fire and lightning) have all been horrible for me. Even the Lightning Spear was awful for me. I think i'll get another Claymore and try making a Fire Halberd or something. I guess they're better for those that don't have higher STR/DEX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back