Dark Passion Play
Sep 23, 2007 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Hermitt

1000+ Head-Fier
the "New" Nightwish....
frown.gif

Sorry to say, but Nightwish just IS NOT Nightwish without Tarja.
frown.gif
I just listened to Dark Passion Play, and I just cannot get into Annette, the new replacement. She sounds so ordinary/poppish
rolleyes.gif

I really think they should have changed their name after the Tarja debacle.
blink.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 19
I have to agree with you. I tried listening to their recent single almost a month ago and was shocked by how drastic the change in Nightwish's sound was, and to my ears, that change was not good. I had hope for their new album dispite Tarja's absence, but that hope has diminished greatly in light of the new material that I have heard.

Sep 25, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 19
I'm listening to the album in lossless atm, and so far so good. Sure it sounds a bit mainstream when compared to their past albums, but the first song intro is really cool!

Sep 25, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 19
as I saw recently on another, less sophisticated forum, "the new nightwish iz teh suxorz". Direct quote by the way. I think it means what we're all thinking, bring back the old Nightwish.

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the "New" Nightwish....
frown.gif

Sorry to say, but Nightwish just IS NOT Nightwish without Tarja.
frown.gif
I just listened to Dark Passion Play, and I just cannot get into Annette, the new replacement. She sounds so ordinary/poppish
rolleyes.gif

I really think they should have changed their name after the Tarja debacle.
blink.gif

x2

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #9 of 19
I concur.

I will note I did find myself loving some of the harder songs, like Bye Bye Beautiful where its alot of the guy doing his scream that I got used to.

Tarji however added a different touch, while the sound is not bad, its deceptively not the Nightwish I first heard when I discovered them on the Angel Fall First CD. They changed since then, but not this drastically.

Sep 26, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 19
I'm really glad that I bought the dvd of their last show in Helinski. They were on top of their form, altho you could see the dispair in Tuomas's face what was planned for later that night when he posted the open letter. But it was definately a great performance by all. And ironically, properly titled End Of An Era
frown.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really glad that I bought the dvd of their last show in Helinski. They were on top of their form, altho you could see the dispair in Tuomas's face what was planned for later that night when he posted the open letter. But it was definately a great performance by all. And ironically, properly titled End Of An Era
frown.gif

I have that DVD too. In the finale shots, only Tarjas face was truly beaming, but other players faces were bit more... tired, in "its finally over" fashion. Tuomas was definetly worst, as the horrible part was still ahead.

The songs I have heard from new album so far... kinda dissapointment. I kept an open mind for the new singer, but Anette sounds soooo ordinary. He is just a female singer with slightly thin voice (probaply mixing though). No specialties, no good qualities yet nothing wrong either. It just... is. Bland should I say. Musically the dissapointment is far more greater though. Some harder songs, but still the music follows the style of Evanessence-esque poprock, not real metal. I havent heard all the songs yet though...

Sep 26, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #12 of 19
heh.... to tell you the truth, I think Amy Lee would have been a better choice as Tarja's replacement. At least she has a lot of dynamics in her voicings. I have a feeling that a lot of people were Nightwish's fan only because of Tarja's operatic <is that a word?> performances.

Same thing kind of happened when Liv left Theatre Of Tradegy to marry Alex from Atrocity. In fact, I can't even recall if they have even released anything since she left.
blink.gif

Well.. at least we still have Tristania, WithinTemptation, Tiamat, Lacuna Coil, etc
rs1smile.gif

Sep 27, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 19
Definately...Hermitt I agree with you 100%. Amy Lee has an amazing voice and no discredit to any fans out there, but the band can't support her properly...the rythmns are super basic and over done...Their first CD (origin NOT fallen) was amazing...if she had the backing of Nightwish I'm sure they could go places and probably would of kept most of their audience.

I too have the End of the Era DVD...its fantastic...a great performance which makes me envious that I won't be able to see such a performance in person.

Sep 27, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #14 of 19
Actually I think Dark Passion Play is far better, than Once. For this new symphonic style of Nwish, DPP just works way better. It's a lot harder album to get into than Once, so it took me several listens to get into DPP, while I already got bored of the simplistic Once in a few listens.

I think Tarja's voice hasn't been properly used for several albums, so change to Anette isn't to worse. She might not have such dynamics in her voice, but she does have a very pleasant and "musical" voice. I love how she sounds on Eva and Bye, Bye beautiful.

Oldschool Tarja fans will of course dislike this album from basic principle. I have listened to NW since their first album, and I think this album is the first good one after the series of bad albums (Century Child, Over The Hills, Once).

Sep 28, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #15 of 19
LOL...Amy Lee in Nightwish. Perhaps Dream Theater should hire Lars in place of Portnoy.

I am interested to hear what Nightwish has done. I like the more symphonic sound they cultivated on Once (esp. tracks like Planet Hell and Ghost Love Score). I will remain optimistic about this album until I get a chance to hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back