Dark Electronica:
Sep 23, 2006 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking for some electronic music that is dark and brooding.
I know thats somewhat of a vague/broad statement but I have no other way to describe it other than listing some artists that sound similar:

Id say the closest to what im looking for is Plastikman. I adore everything Richie Hawtin does; its complex, layered, dark and minimal.
I already own everything Aphex Twin has done-I like his stuff, but alot of it is highly experimental and I have to be in a certain mood to listen to it.
Maybe some Amon Tobin?

Im looking for music that is listenable at any time; more chill/lower BPMS.

This was all brought on by me seeing "The Proposition" last night, a brutal Australian Western that I highly recommend. The soundtrack for the movie is excellent; written by Nick Cave and although not electronic, very much the sound I am looking for.

Sep 23, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 21
Amon Tobin is probably a good place to start, maybe Bricolage.

i'd also recommend:

Autechre - Tri Repetae
Tortoise - Tortoise

both are superb albums. while Tortoise is not electronic, it is instrumental post-rock of the highest order, and i find their debut album to be their darkest and most brooding.

oh, and if you weren't aware (which you probably are), Nick Cave didn't just write the soundtrack... he wrote the movie itself.

Sep 23, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
oh, and if you weren't aware (which you probably are), Nick Cave didn't just write the soundtrack... he wrote the movie itself.

Wow-I had no idea-great flick.
Do you have the soundtrack?
I have to go pick it up.
I will try some Amon Tobin-thnx.

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 21
Just sampled some Amon Tobin and although I like it alot-its not exactly what im looking for.
It seems a little too jazzy/experimental for me...maybe a little too noisy?
Im looking for something maybe more along the lines of dark electro/minimal techno rather than breakbeats/drum n' bass.

Any more suggestions?

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 21
Archive - Londinium

Many tracks have either female vocals or hip hop vocals, but I think they will fit your request.

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 21
Autechre is king of IDM, Tri Repetae generally regarded as their masterpiece, but their first album, Incunabula, is worth it for the second track, "Bike", alone. Sounds great from a pair of IEM's
etysmile.gif

If you want to get really dark, check out terror-pop group Psyclon Nine, but that is not exactly chill music.

Sep 24, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #9 of 21
Jute, Waldeck, and some of Future Sound of London (ISDN, Dead Cities) is pretty dark. Are you looking for something like Massive Attack's sound on Mezzanine and 100th Window? I haven't found much in that kind of music yet...

Sep 24, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #10 of 21
John Digweed "Los Angeles"

Sep 24, 2006 at 11:10 AM Post #12 of 21
sun electric "kitchen", if you can find it, kind of ambient / minimal techno / trance. not as moody as ISDN by FSOL mentioned above, but that is one moody album. also you could check out system 7 "mirror system", & their older releases which are loosely based around ambient, dub & hillage's great electric guitar soundscapes.

edit: hybrid "morning sci-fi" is fairly brooding & epic, electronics meets strings & breaks.

Sep 25, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #13 of 21
Tanya Tagaq Gillis should be comming out with some really cool stuff on her next album you sould check her out.

I got to preview some of it at a music festival in Canada this summer

Sep 25, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #14 of 21
Sutekh - Periods Make Sense = dark minimal glitch
Monolake - Hong Kong = dark minimal
Burger-Ink - Las Vegas = mostly dark minimal
Autechre - Amber = weird dark ambient idm glitch
Bola (any) = Dark melodic IDM
Murcof - Remembranza = Dark chill minimal IDM ambient with light orchestra samples
Arovane (any) = mostly dark chill idm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back