televators

Banned
001.png

Apr 16, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 21
Satie would be my choice for haunting. As for
very_evil_smiley.gif
and
evil_smiley.gif
, I'll let others contribute. The classical I listen to that could be considered dark includes Kronos Quartet, Philip Glass (Dracula), and some other chamber music by folks like Shostakovich. Carl Orff's Carmina Burana is very dark, as is Verdi's Requiem. Almost forgot one of my favorite's- very haunting- Arvo Part (Fratres would be a good place to start.)
Elfman's soundtrack work is usually enjoyable as well, depending on your taste for "dark."
I seem to remember Glen Danzig's classical solo album, Black Aria , although I haven't listened to it since it's release a number of years ago.
I'm sure I'm forgetting something...

Apr 16, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 21
Most classical music isn't intentionally evil but I consider Mozart's requiem to be very haunting. If you want a combination between "evil" death metal and classical you might try My Dying Bride.

Apr 16, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #7 of 21
Michael Nyman- Concerto for Harsicord and Strings. Geniunely horrible this one. It will quite possibly send you insane. Pretty cool though.
Henryk Gorecki - Kleines Requiem fur eine Polka. Quiet, grim and ominous., with violent moments.

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 21
amber asylum - " garden of love" dark and sad yet very beautiful. female vocals, i think the whole band is made up of girls actually. i've yet to hear their early stuff.

Apr 16, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by keanej6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
amber asylum - " garden of love" dark and sad yet very beautiful. female vocals, i think the whole band is made up of girls actually. i've yet to hear their early stuff.

Yes, i'd completely forgotten about Amber Asylum, i used to like Song of Sex and Death a lot.

Apr 16, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 21
Hmm...I'm not quite sure of what you are looking for, but perhaps some modern (later than 1950) pieces, especially Requiems, might give you the feeling you are looking for.

You could try pieces by Ligeti (Requiem, Atmospheres, Lontano, Volumina), Penderecki (Requiem) and Scelsi (especially the orchestral works).

Ligeti's and Penderecki's music have been used in some horror movies. Kubrick used Ligeti's music in "The Shining" and "2001". Music by Penderecki was used in "The Exorcist".

Good Luck!

Apr 16, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #11 of 21
Has to be Schoenberg! Verklachte Nacht and more... (don't think I spelled that right!)

Then on to Stockhausen. For light relief.

Apr 17, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 21
Dark Classical for a dark and storming night:

Any symphony by Humphrey Searle. He wrote the music for the original, and great, movie "The Haunting". So go the symphonies. All six are on CPO and take real ears.

Franz Schmidt's haunting 4th symphony.

Gliere's 3rd Symphony, Ilya Murometz.

Gavin Bryars, The Sinking of the Titanic.

Schoenberg Pelleas and Melisande.

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #14 of 21
Mozart K466 (Piano Concerto #20) and K491 (PC #24)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back