Dark Classical Recommendations
Apr 25, 2003 at 2:22 PM Post #31 of 38
Suprised that Dvorak hasn't been mentioned yet.

Pick up Dvorak Symphony #9. The last movement rocks the house.

Shostakovich is depressing? Listen to Festive Overture lately?

All good recomendations here, keep em coming, this is my favorite "genre" of classical as well!

Apr 25, 2003 at 4:46 PM Post #32 of 38
edvard grieg: peer gynt suite

best part: the hall of the mountain king

there's a stephen king movie that used it extensively - it's THAT cheerful, fluffy and frolicking
smily_headphones1.gif

by the way, this is a regular lurker's first post - i like that thread...

Apr 25, 2003 at 5:58 PM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Tube_Pete
I would suggest listening to for example:

Bruckner's 7th, 8th and 9th symphony (incredibly powerful)

Shostakovich's 4th, 5th, 8th and 10th symphony (horror of world war 2 and Stalin dictatorship)

Mahler's 5th and 9th symphony (very mellow at times, e.g. Adagietto in 5th symphony)

are you me?

lol
wink.gif

you pretty much listed all my favorite classical works..

good taste!
biggrin.gif
(see my post in the "hair standing up" thread about my experience with the Mahler 10th)

-jar

Apr 25, 2003 at 6:40 PM Post #34 of 38
Trust me check out Shostakovich...look at my avatar, does this look like a man in the mood to write frolicking melodies? As was said earlier, especially check out his string quartets, moreso even than his symphonies, as you said you liked chamber music better.
Definitely the 8th (this was intended to be a suicide note and his last work...it is evident). the 12th quartet was an elegy for his friend who died, and the 10th, and 15th are also very somber. For more aggressive terror, check out the cello concerto. I could deconstruct it all for you and tell you what represented late night visits from the KGB, what were satirical quotes about Stalin's favorite folk songs etc...I wrote my undergraduate thesis on it, so I am partial to it.
I also agree with Beilin that you should check out Bach's St. Matthew Passion...the opening will bowl you over if you are not expecting it and you have a good system cranked up...

Apr 25, 2003 at 8:59 PM Post #35 of 38
Forgive any thread-strand reiterations that might occlude the piquancy of my list. Some of the pieces enumerated below have been recommended by others, no doubt. No matter. You've asked me to demarcate emotional/aesthetic quicksand -- the very stuff I've slumped through for a lifetime.

Since you like sombre chamber, string and full orchestral music, slake your saturnine thirsts with these:

Mahler, 9th Symphony
Mahler, 10th Symphony
Berg, Violin Concerto
Berg, Piano Sonata
Berg, Lyric Suite
Berg, Lulu Suite
Shostakovich, 8th Symphony
Shostakovich, 8th String Quartet,
15th String Quartet
Sibelius, 4th Symphony and nothing else
Schoenberg, Pelleas und Melisande
Schoenberg, Variations for Orchestra
Penderecki, Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima
Henry Purcell: Dirges and Funeral Music
Webern: Everything
Luigi Nono, no hay caminos (in memoriam to Tarkovsky -- someone once called this piece "a nightmare slowed down")
Schnittke, 8th Symphony
Bartok, Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste
Bartok, Concerto for Orchestra, central movement (all late Bartok is written in what he called "arch form")
Roger Sessions, 2nd String Quartet
Bach, Prelude and Fugue No. 24 in b minor, Das Wöhltemperierte Klavier, Vol. 1
Mozart, Adagio and Fugue for Strings
Artur Honegger, Symphony No. 5 (Di tri re)

With vocals or a capella:

Mahler: Kindertotenlieder (Songs on the Death of Children)
Mahler: Ruckertlieder (Last Songs on Ruckert)
Shostakovich: 14th Symphony (his setting of songs about death)
Richard Strauss: Die Frau Ohne Schatten (The Woman without a Shadow)
Schoenberg: Erwartung
Penderecki: The Devils of Loudin
Schnittke: 2nd Symphony
Schnittke: Psalms of Repentance
Samuel Barber: "Dover Beach"
Samuel Barber: Hermit Songs (especially "The Crucifixion")
Schumann: Dichterliebe (it might sound cheerful in places until you fathom how wrenchingly mad and isolated he really felt)
Britten: "Let us sleep now. . . " (from the War Requiem)
Hans Werner Henze: "Being Beauteous" and "Whispers from the Heavenly Death"
Josquin: Deploration de la mort de l'Ockeghem (Deploration on the Death of Ockeghem)
Ockeghem: Requiem Mass (with parts for two extremely low voices)
Berg: Wozzeck
Arne Nordheim: Aftonland
Bach: "Ich hatte viel bekummernis" -- especially the movement in which Christ's tears are represented by jagged descending chromatic lines
Stravinsky: 2nd movement from the Symphony of Psalms (perhaps too objective (but not "humanist," as someone called him above -- Stravinsky was for the most part a neo-classical composer, and the Psalms are both neo-medieval and neo-baroque -- Stravinsky once said, "Music doesn't have the power to express anything" because he was annoyed by Romanticism, which is also why he occasionally removed all violins from the orchestra; it is also why neo-classicist Paul Hindemith once wrote a string quartet which began with the expressive marking, "with little feeling"))

Chromatic descending bass lines (think of "Gloomy Sunday," sung by Billie Holiday):

Purcell: "When I am Laid in Earth" (from Dido and Anaeus)
(Bach: Passacaglia and Fugue in c minor -- a commonly known piece, but fits in this category)
Monteverdi: "Lasciate mi morire"
Bach: Crucifixus (from the Mass in b minor)
Gesualdo: "Moro lasso" (see also "the one who made me murders me")

For those who have not heard Christine Schäfer sprechstimme ("speak-sing") Schoenberg, I recommend her recording of Pierrot Lunaire on DGG, which also contains the utterly stratospheric and discorporate "Herzgewächse." If you don't mind a bit of subjective directorial underscoring, I also recommend the Arthaus DVD of Schäfer singing both Pierrot Lunaire and the Dichterliebe.

Apr 30, 2003 at 10:24 PM Post #36 of 38
Dvorak's Stabat Mater was not mentioned, I believe.
Slav classics are unequaled masters of sad and dark melodies (I'm of course biased being a Slav myself).

Bruckner's 9th and Mahler's 10th deserve very special mention. The music is not so dark as it is depressing, without hope and terminal in its acceptance of the indifferent and hopeless world.

One of the first things I did with my fist CD burner many years ago was to create mix CDs of "sorrow", "happiness" and "utter despair". Perhaps I'll publish track names when I get home.

May 2, 2003 at 4:58 AM Post #37 of 38
I am a romanticist myself, so I rather like the gay/frolicking melodies, thank you very much!

But if you like dark chamber music, I would highly suggest Messiaen's Quatuor Pour le Fin du Temps (Quartet for the End of Time). The Elektra-Nonesuch is a fine recording of this.

More typical ones that I would reccomend (that others have already mentioned): Górecki, Pärt, Glass.

[edit]
Almost forgot... I believe Messiaen wrote the Quatuor in a Nazi prison camp, 1940, at the outbreak of WWII -- how's that for dark?

May 2, 2003 at 9:26 AM Post #38 of 38
I'll plug the Hitman 2 soundtrack composed by Jesper Kyd and performed by the Budapest Symphony Orchestra and Choir. Dark, stirring, foreboding, and epic stuff, with each track depicting a different situation or location in the world for the enigmatic 47.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back