Dark Angel's Crypt, More Pics
Feb 24, 2002 at 6:47 PM Post #31 of 43
DA, suffice it to say that although I have not heard the MOHR, if you were talking about the Max itself, I would find my opinion on opposition to yours. I like the Corda better overall and like the Crossfeed better. If you need to part with your Corda, I think I can find an interested party or two.

What did you mean by $600 maxxed out MG Head OTL? Nick spent $25 on a tube for the $329 amp. What else can you do to it to improve it dramatically? New pot?

I find myself also taking issue with the ZOTL's layout. A part of me is hoping he'll release a ZOTL Mk II with some aesthetic cues from other amps. I'm still debating that Melos reliability issue.

Feb 24, 2002 at 7:22 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
I did briefly consider tube units but each has some drawback:...Melos Sha...Micro Zotl...MG Head OTL...EMP...

AudioValve, EAR, Cary...? You left out quite a few...

Feb 24, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #33 of 43
yeah, he left out the high end ones.
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #34 of 43
I think for a while I will run three headphone systems:
very_evil_smiley.gif

-main system + MOHR + Senn 600 clou red, Sony CD3000
-Pan CT470 + Grado RA1 + Grado 325 (computer desk)
-Pan CT470 + Corda + Grado 225 (bedroom)

Kelly
The Corda performs very good for the price, but it would be shocking to me if a Max/MOHR did not sound better. Look under the hood of a Max, complete dual mono layout with the best audiophile grade parts available. Not many shortcuts here.

The easiest way to descibe the difference I hear is like when I use
my 85 watt integrated and then substitute a 200 watt amp/preamp combo. A noticeable difference in authority, control, finesse, ease of musical production. The MOHR just sounds effortless.

Of course because of different tastes, systems, and cables used some may like the Corda better, it is a fine amp.

Feb 24, 2002 at 10:04 PM Post #35 of 43
DA,
I found the Max to be smooth to a fault. I know it's an unpopular opinion but I found the details to be better displayed on the Corda. Ultimately I want an amp that does both the smoothness and the detail and the closest I've come to that so far has been the Melos.

Why do you have two Panasonic CT470s? Were they bought at the same time or do you think they're better than everything else available today? I'm still considering getting a 570 or a Sony D-777.

Feb 24, 2002 at 11:21 PM Post #36 of 43
I have two Pan CT470 units because one is used constantly in my computer desk system, and I use the other one for misc duty........now it will make up bedroom system. I got these real cheap last summer, I think @$60 each and since the shipping was almost the same for 1 or two I got two.

For under $100 the 470 & 570 are both good for home use, I never use them mobile so I am not concerned with battery life etc.
I am not a real expert on portable CDPs, don't know anything about Sony 777

Feb 24, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #37 of 43
kelly,
get the d-777. i have one and it has lasted about 5 years of constant use so far. i've owned a few of the recommended panny's and the d-777 just kills them.

can you share your source for the d-777, please? i want to get a second one for backup.

Feb 25, 2002 at 1:27 PM Post #38 of 43
The model I came across is actually the Japanese D-E777 which looks like the D-777 only silver instead of black. Do you know if these are the same internally?

Feb 25, 2002 at 4:49 PM Post #40 of 43
Masz
Good call, yes they are Oval 12 speaker cables. Really good performance for the money. My main system has double runs of AP Oval 9. Also have these:
-AP Copper Oval-In ICs
-AP Zero Crystal Oval ICs
-AP Power Oval AC cords

Feb 25, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Masz
Good call, yes they are Oval 12 speaker cables. Really good performance for the money. My main system has double runs of AP Oval 9. Also have these:
-AP Copper Oval-In ICs
-AP Zero Crystal Oval ICs
-AP Power Oval AC cords

Wow. Very nice cables you have there. I have a Oval 12 myself. Is there a very big difference between them and the Oval 9s? I'm thinking of getting one. Did you try their silver cables?

Feb 26, 2002 at 12:58 AM Post #42 of 43
Just speaking in general, yes the AP Oval 9 is a noticeable step up from Oval 12. Although 2x the cost still very reasonable and you can get them used at Audiogon if you are patient.

I did try the Silver Oval speaker cables but liked the overall sound of Oval 9 in my system, which also had a bit better bass response.
The Silver Oval provides a bit more open/detailed treble which I didn't especially need, this is a beautiful cable appearance wise
however. The spade connectors are massive!

http://www.analysis-plus.com/images/Silver%20oval.jpg

Feb 26, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Just speaking in general, yes the AP Oval 9 is a noticeable step up from Oval 12. Although 2x the cost still very reasonable and you can get them used at Audiogon if you are patient.

I did try the Silver Oval speaker cables but liked the overall sound of Oval 9 in my system, which also had a bit better bass response.
The Silver Oval provides a bit more open/detailed treble which I didn't especially need, this is a beautiful cable appearance wise
however. The spade connectors are massive!

http://www.analysis-plus.com/images/Silver%20oval.jpg

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back